• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Lynells

Tried them early in the game,big mistake! Now I have done the four divine beasts,hearts up ,weapons up and skills up so I'm going to kill some Lynels before I go to the castle. Any suggestions from you guys on weapons & strategy would be appreciated.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I usually fight them head on with a one handed sword and a shield to parry. I rely on flurry rushes to do most of the damage. Eating an attack boost will help you do more damage per weapon, and using a bow for quick headshots is a good way to stun them for a few seconds. Using stasis+ works for that as well.

Most people that play have either a preference for Perfect Dodging or Perfect Blocking. Whichever you choose, use that to offset the Lynel and Flurry Rush it. Do not get too far away or it will chase you with lightning. I believe you can use Urbosa's Fury to damage and stun it long enough to ride it's back like a horse. While on it's back you can dish out damage for a while. Alternatively, you can use an Ancient Arrow to one shot them, but you won't get their gear.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Armor: Go with either Barbarian or Ancient Armor (For your first kill i'd suggest Ancient) Make sure the Armor is Maxed if it's Ancient

Equips: Ancient Axe ++, Hylian Shield (Or a VERY good shield, hylian takes like five mins to get if yer efficient) Multiple Bows (i say multiple due to the fact you can break em) You want for preference a multi shot bow or an Ancient, Any Arrow will do but Normal onces for Preference.

Food: You want a 30 min Attack lvl 3 food so 4 Bananas and a dragon horn will net you this.
Health wise: you want a fair few super foods that will boost your health all the way back to max so that if the lynel does kick yer ass you have a way of healing. 5 Durians will provide this and theres a handy spot right near Faron Tower.

Fairies: Did you know it's possible to own more than 3 fairies? Fairies will spawn at a fountain if you have 2 or fewer on you, so with this in mind get 4 fairies from a fountain (the one hidden in the gerudo skeleton is a good option) then once you have them Warp back to the shrine near the fountain and hold all four in your hand when you get back to the shrine, this will coerce more faires to spawn. ONLY get 3 for a total of 7 then warp back to the shrine this time hold 5 fairies on returning and more will spawn. So it's now possible to have 11 fairies, Combine this with mipha's Grace you have effectively 12 lives. Combine with daruks protection and you have 15 attempts on each fight.

This may not be well known but SAVE before you fight yer lynel victims, this way if it all goes pear shape you can just reload and try again without spending longer for set up

Strategy is simple: Aim for his face to stun him and then climb on his back and whack away, This method is probably the best for early on as your weapon won't take damage while attack on his back. If you are really good at bullet timing you can get more shots into the lynels head as you leap off.

Strategy 2: Learn to make good use of Urbosas fury and the charge attack with Ancient Axe, the combo of the two can drain lynels health relatively quickly when you run outta urbosas fury return to firing shots into his face.

Strategy 3: HIGHLY DANGEROUS: if you are good at glidebombing and have the stamina and potions to do so go for a flyby attack, make sure you've got a five shot bow and just rain unholy death of bomb arrows down.

Strategy 4: Learn Perfect Parrying, EVERYTHING can be parried including lynels. If you learn it well enough you can go literally hand to hand with em.

Finally Choose your lynel, For your first kill try the ploymus moutain lynel near zora's Domain as it's always the weakest. After you've learnt timings try for the hyrule castle pair as they are respectively a blue lynel and a white-maned lynel, or explore the world i know the baobab plains has two lynels that offer clubs (which are damn good weapons) and spears so might be worth it. Make sure you aren't fighitng a silver lynel right off the bat as that will hurt ALOT.

So you finally killed the biggest baddest beastie in hyrule......so what do you do now? MURDER THEM ALL, if you've been killing lynels sequentially you should be getting their gear and squishy bits, the lynel bits can go to upping the barbarian armor and the lynel gear is i'd personally say the undisputed best gear in the game. Aim for snagging Savage Crushers and Savage Bows (the five shot variant) with this and the barbarian armor you can take lynels down ridiculously quick.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
There was an old strategy about shooting their face and then using Stasis+ but I was never good at that, but you are welcome to try it.

Other than that, just Flurry rush (Perfect dodge) the hell out of 'e, and shoot arrows whenever it is safe to. When the Lynel falls over, get on top of it, and attack there

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
always use a one handed sword (I prefer the Royal broadsword) and a sturdy sheild. make use of perfect shields and perfect dodges. try to headshot them with bow and arrows and climb on their back to deal a lot of damage.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Simple five step process to beating a Lynel.

1) Walk up to it.

2) Headshot it. This will stun it.

3) Keep headshotting it.

4) When you see it lifting its head, stop shooting for a moment until it readjusts itself...

5) Then headshot it again to stun it and repeat.

Should take 30 seconds. As far as I know it's the fastest, easiest, and most efficient way of dealing with a Lynel. Quickly figured it out on my first try. It's a still target, so even if you suck at aiming like I do, you will be fine.

Just remember it is not enough to just kill a lynel. You have to kill it with style and make it your ***** too.

That means using things like stasis, ancient arrows or champion abilities is a big no no. These are ***** moves. The dumb lynel is the *****, not you.

There are a number of viable & stylish strategies you can use on the dumb cat like lynels but the one I most frequently use is, parry, stun, mount (every lynel attack can be parried)

Tactics can vary depending on lynel type, weapons the lynel use and location but it is easy enough to adapt.

Worst thing you can do is run from a lynel after engaging it or if you use the updrafts from their attacks. If you go too high lynel will bring out bow, in this state you cannot stun the lynel with arrows.

Try to avoid flurry rushes, more efficient to parry and the idea is to deny the lynel his attack, by flurry rushing you are saying to the lynel "Oh I'm sorry, I'll just move over here while you continue on your way" with a parry you are saying "No, bad lynel. Stop right there so I can beat your dumb face". Also with parry, stun and mount you get more damage done while preserving your weapons and making the lynel your *****.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Tried a blue one yesterday and got my ass handed to me 4 times. Need more practice I guess,they get me rattled! :(

2 things, practise on the ploymus Lynel and get Majora's Mask.
Ploymus stays Red forever and majora's mask will literally let you walk up to one if you don't pull a weapon out/use runes.

Tried a blue one yesterday and got my ass handed to me 4 times. Need more practice I guess,they get me rattled! :(
When you go back and eventually beat the crap out of this dumb baby blue lynel be sure to collect its guts and turn it into an elixir and then drink it in front of another lynel so they know you mean business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom