• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Loz/Aol, Related How?

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
So I'm new to these forums and I've been erading a lot into the timeline's (seems I'm not as GODLY as a fan as I thought I was....sheesh ;)) and I think I need to underdstand more the 1st 2 games before going on.

I have both LoZ and AoL on a Gamecube disc, and I also have LoZ downloaded from the Wii Shop Channel. One of my questions is this: is there supposed to be some story scene that plays before I actually take control of Link? None of the games I have do that, and I also have no box to look to for a back story.

(As far as BS goes, I've just been reading more and more about it on people's comments here...)

Anyway...are these 2 games one after the other or are they LoZ and then AoL...I see meany people post them as this "Loz/Aol" in timeline discussions implying that they...are...what...? Because in the rest of the timelines they will have something looking like this OoT, Loz/AoL, ALttP.

Why are those 2 games slashed together and not separated by a comma?

I don't know if I'll ever survive these timelin discussions....:S

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Well basically on those first two Zelda games, the backstory to them both is shown before you even play the game. There's no opening sequence that shows you what's going on when you start those games.

What you do is when you get to the title screen of those games, wait for a little while. On LoZ, the screen changes to black and words scroll up telling you the story behind it. On AoL the same thing occurs except it stays on the title screen as it's telling you the backstory.

The way they are connected is that AoL is the sequel to LoZ. That's why they're shown like this: LoZ/Aol, instead of the other way around.

As far as the whole LoZ/AoL deal goes, that is to show a Direct Sequel. We know that AoL contains the same Link and roughly the same generation of all characters (aside from Zelda, who is apparently a former Zelda put to sleep by a curse). The manual tells us that AoL takes place several seasons after LoZ, so according to commonly used Timeline Notation, it would be written as LoZ/AoL. Now if you took two games on the timeline that had a generational gap in between them, or that were not direct sequels of one another, you would use a couple of dash marks (one or two). So if AoL were NOT a direct sequel of LoZ, it would be written like this: LoZ--AoL

To read more about the common timeline notation you will see on this forum, check out my thread here:

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4593

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Thanks to both of you.

Yea actually I had read your post already. Def. helps with the abbreviations.

Allright well...that's one thing down.

Zarom

The King
Where does it shows that AOL is a sequel to LOZ? I know all people say that but do you have proof? I'm just wondering that's all. If anyone does know, please answer me. I wanna know why they are apparently ''sequels''. :wave:

Last edited:
Where does it shows that AOL is a sequel to LOZ? I know all people say that but do you have proof? I'm just wondering that's all. If anyone does know, please answer me. I wanna why they are apparently ''sequels''. :wave:

It is amazing how much you can learn by actually reading the game's storylines. Try it out. :D

knowlee

Where does it shows that AOL is a sequel to LOZ? I know all people say that but do you have proof? I'm just wondering that's all. If anyone does know, please answer me. I wanna why they are apparently ''sequels''. :wave:

DarkLink01 stated above the reason why it's proven that AoL is the sequel to LoZ. It's shown in the manual of AoL that it is the sequel. Here's a clip of the actual AoL manual that proves what DL01 said:

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link Game Manual said:
Though the hero Link defeated Ganon and rescued Princess Zelda, Hyrule remained plagued with evil. In the passing seasons, the power that Ganon had left behind, as well as his remaining underlings, were once again causing chaos and disorder throughout the kingdom.

This passage of the manual shows that LoZ is indeed the sequel to AoL. The reasoning behind it is that when this game was produced there was only one Zelda game that existed before that one was made. That game was LoZ.

Another piece of evidence would come from the opening of the English (or American, whatever it's called) version of AoL.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link Title Opening said:
After Ganon was destroyed, Impa told Link a sleeping spell was cast on Princess Zelda.

This also states that this is the sequel to LoZ for the same reason that I mentioned above.

I hope this has answered your question, Zarom. :)

Last edited:

Zarom

The King
DarkLink01 stated above the reason why it's proven that AoL is the sequel to LoZ. It's shown in the manual of AoL that it is the sequel. Here's a clip of the actual AoL manual that proves what DL01 said:

This passage of the manual shows that LoZ is indeed the sequel to AoL. The reasoning behind it is that when this game was produced there was only one Zelda game that existed before that one was made. That game was LoZ.

Another piece of evidence would come from the opening of the English (or American, whatever it's called) version of AoL.

This also states that this is the sequel to LoZ for the same reason that I mentioned above.

I hope this has answered your question, Zarom. :)

Hmmmm........ I'm still not 100% convinced. What you say is true tough.

Yeah it is mentionned that Ganon has been defeated. But he could have been defeated in another game? I know LOZ was the first Zelda and that this one is the second, but what if we could actually place a Zelda between them? I want proof. SOLID proof

knowlee

Yeah it is mentionned that Ganon has been defeated. But he could have been defeated in another game? I know LOZ was the first Zelda and that this one is the second, but what if we could actually place a Zelda between them? I want proof. SOLID proof

Honestly it wouldn't make sense if there was a Zelda game put in between those two games. The only other game that Ganon has been defeated in was ALttP. But that does not mean that ALttP is in between LoZ and AoL.

There are many reasons why ALttP would not fit there. One is the fact that in LoZ Link is just known as a wondering traveler. In ALttP, he's a kid that lives with his uncle. If ALttP was a story in between LoZ and AoL, it wouldn't make sense with the fact that in LoZ Ganon is defeated. In AlttP, Ganon is defeated by Link as well.

My point being is that why would Link go and defeat Ganon again after the fact that he was already defeated just some time ago? It makes more sense to know that since Ganon is killed in LoZ by Link and that his minions want to bring him back to life using the blood of the same Link that killed him in LoZ better than the other way that I was explaining it. (But discussing the placement of ALttP is for another thread.)

And honestly I don't think you can get any more SOLID proof than what I have given you already.

Last edited:

The manual is solid proof. It really doesn't matter either way because first of all, it doesn't make any sense to consider them distant sequels. Why? But cause it doesn't matter. We know that AoL comes after LoZ and that no game can come in between based on the manual, which also tells us AoL is several seasons later. If LoZ was another game, AoL would have talked about it like it was a legend, same way WW does at the beginning with OoT.

It doesn't make sense to waste time trying to argue things, and look for things that really aren't important to the rest of the timeline, storyline, or individual games. This is one of those examples. The proof is crystal clear and right in the manual. Arguing it is just a wasted effort. And I don't mean to come off harsh about that in any way or anything I'm just saying it really makes no sense to look for answers that you have already been given.

Last edited:
How about the fact that in LoZ only the triforce of wisdom and power existed. And in AoL Link (the same Link, now older as stated in the manual) went on a quest to find the third, Triforce of Courage.

Zarom

The King
Okay. I had my proof. :D I'm now satisfied with the answers I had. Now I can say that it is really a sequel and I'm 100% convinced. Yeah. That was really clear. Thanks for taking time to answered me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom