• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

LoZ/AoL Between TP and ALttP?

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I'm convinced that ALttP follows TP in the Child Timeline, but I recently thought that LoZ/AoL could take place in between TP and ALttP, like so:

MM--TP--LoZ/AoL--ALttP . . .

I was also looking for evidence for this, and it seems that Ganon gets revived sometime between the end of AoL and the beginning of ALttP. If we remember, Ganon's minions can revive Ganon if they obtain LoZ/AoL Link's blood. Naturally, LoZ/AoL dies sometime after the end of AoL, and Ganon's minions have the chance to extract Link's blood, thus reviving Ganon.

SecretNerd-sshh

Its a secret to everyone
Your going to see alot of resistance because of the four sword trilogy. But with that aside....

Nintendo making a game explaining how the triforce goes from waking up zelda in AOL to resting in the sacred realm where ganon retrieves it and is later sealed in the SR (Imprisoning war) would be the only thing this theory would need to take off. Developers intent and geography is easily retconned imo.

Pro- Triforce is together at the end of AOL, and is together in the backstory of alttp.

Con -Ganon backstory in FSA.

This timeline is going nowhere with prequels to OoT, and sequels to tWW. With Skyward swords plot spoilers i read in the text dump, all nintendo really needs is 2 games dedicated to organizing the CT the way SS sets up the entire series, and this timeline would be in good shape. 1 setting up the IW--> alttp in relation to TP, and 1 explaining WHERE the heck THE FSS GOES!!1!!1

Throwing in LoZ/AoL in the former would be a treat though.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
That looks like a circular argument to me. You use LttP coming after AoL to show that Ganon was revived after AoL, and then you use Ganon being revived after AoL to show that LttP comes after AoL. What made you put them there in the first place? LttP was originally intended to fall before the originals, and it doesn't really make sense otherwise - not even when Miyamoto contradicted it. LttP tells of the origins of Ganon and the Triforce, and the box says it takes place long before LoZ-Link's adventure. Yes, such intent can change, but you'd have to provide sufficient reason to believe that it has, besides a circular argument.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Oh! So I guess that is sufficient evidence to shoot down this idea. I wasn't aware of the evidence on the box saying that LoZ/AoL comes after ALttP in the timeline! :facepalm: Oh well.

Another argument against a pre-OoT placement for LoZ/AoL is that Hyrule is united in those games, which it shouldn't be if it takes place before OoT. OoT takes place a couple of years after the war that unified the land.

(SS might change this, but I still think this is a valid argument today.)

/Blue Window

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
Zelda Wiki: Hyrulean Civil War said:
Finally the war ended and resulted in the unification of Hyrule under one banner.
What this says is Hyrule existed, but it was not unified. It is quite possible that Hyrule was unified before OOT, but tension between groups of people set things off into a civil war, much as the US had back in the 1800's. I am not saying here nor there that TLOZ/TAOL or any other game came in between OOT and SS, just that the possibility is there.

Well, I have reason to believe what I know of the timeline to go like this. SS>OOT>MM>TP>WW>ALTTP>LOZ>AOL>

now, I am rather unversed in these timeline theorys, but as a Zelda enthusiast, I do know some things. Firstly we all know SS is supposed to be the new begining. Then it's easy to remember, OOT was supposed to be the first, Majoras Mask is a direct sequel, as weird as it was. Now, why do I think Twilight Princess comes next? Well, it's overall similarity to OOT mainly. And the "heros clothes" I could be mistaken, but I believe Link was refered to as the "Hero of ____" begining in OOT. So that is kind of a weak reason to believe TP being next in line, but it's all I got until I'm as learned as the rest of you no doubt, fine folks. Now, WW is next. If hyrule is under water entirely, that's a weird thing. I've not played it, but perhaps it happened before ALLTP. (very bad logic, I know) then, I didn't add this up here in my timeline, but I supposed LA would be next. Link's sailing about on a sea, crashes into an isle, and is stuck. This -possible- water world he was sailing in could be Hyrule, during the same time period. Anyways, the water drys, and hyrules story of ALTTP happens. Then LOZ>AOL. I really hope I dont get flamed, for my noob knowledge. I want to be a serious member of this part of the forums, I just don't know these theorys yet.

G

GreenKangaroo

I've always seen ALTTP after the adult timeline going like SS>OoT>ALTTP>OoA/OoS>LA>WW>PH>ST>LoZ>AoL

This has always made sense to me since Ganon was trap in the dark world by the 7 sages at the end of the adult ending. Plus ganon's minions would have to revive him since he's only trapped in the dark world. Then the oracle games seem to fit in between ALTTP & LA since link goes on a boat at the end of them, and is y link is on a boat at the begining of LA. As for WW, it seems appropriate as link either drowns or never returns to hyrule since his boat breaks and meaning no hero to save hyrule. Of course you have SS at the start. Then LoZ & AoL after ST since it doesn't seem like the same hyrule to the others. Maybe it's because of its early development but I'm sure that LoZ & AoL come much later in the series timeline compared ALTTP.

This could make sense. See, I've not played OOA, or OOS, nor WW (sadly) I have them ALL, but it's taking me time to get through them. I just thought LA being on a boat on a sea, constitued a near WW timeline. but who knows?

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Can't happen. ALttP comes before TLOZ and TAOL. Miyamoto seemed (key word) to deny this when he said that ALTTP came after it and all, but ALTTP has since been confirmed to come before it, and it was originally created to expand on the backstory of TLOZ and TAOL in the first place.

To Faedeur

Originally Posted by Deku Tree Sprout

Some time ago, before the King of Hyrule unified this country, there was a fierce war in our world.

It seems quite strange that Hyrule was united prior to this fierce war. The DTS does not draw a direct line between the war and the unficiation, however, since both of them must take place between Link was a baby and the game itself, it is for all practical reasons possible to connect the two events.

To Dekunub

Well, I have reason to believe what I know of the timeline to go like this. SS>OOT>MM>TP>WW>ALTTP>LOZ>AOL>

I am not aware if you are familiar with the Split Timeline or not. If you are not, I think that Zelda Dungeon has an excellent guide in explaining that crucial event in the Zelda timeline. However, you are of course free to think whatever you want of the timeline.

However, in short does the Split Timeline mean that the timeline splits after OoT, with one branch going to MM and TP while the other goes into WW and PH and ultimately ST. These games are also confirmed story arcs by the developers themselvses. When Zelda sends Link back in time, the timeline where Link sealed Ganon did not disappear, but continued without Link. In the ending we can both see people celebrating the victory over Ganondorf and Link being a child again. Moreover, WW deals with the events following the Adult parts of OoT while MM follows the Child parts, since Link is a child.

--------/---WW/PH---ST
SS---OoT
--------\MM---TP

now, I am rather unversed in these timeline theorys, but as a Zelda enthusiast, I do know some things. Firstly we all know SS is supposed to be the new begining. Then it's easy to remember, OOT was supposed to be the first, Majoras Mask is a direct sequel, as weird as it was. Now, why do I think Twilight Princess comes next? Well, it's overall similarity to OOT mainly. And the "heros clothes" I could be mistaken, but I believe Link was refered to as the "Hero of ____" begining in OOT. So that is kind of a weak reason to believe TP being next in line, but it's all I got until I'm as learned as the rest of you no doubt, fine folks. Now, WW is next. If hyrule is under water entirely, that's a weird thing. I've not played it, but perhaps it happened before ALLTP.

From Wind Waker

Link, do you know the legend of the Hero of Time? Once, long ago, he defeated Ganon and brought peace to the Kingdom of Hyrule... A piece of the Triforce was given to the Hero of Time and he kept it safe, much as Zelda kept hers. That sacred piece is known as the Triforce of Courage. When the Hero of Time was called to embark on another journey and [travelled through time and] left the land of Hyrule, he was separated from the elements that made him a hero. It is said that at that time, the Triforce of Courage was split into eight shards and hidden throughout the land.

The part in [ ] are to clarify a line that was omitted in the English translation.

More Wind Waker

After his defeat at the hands of the Hero of Time, Ganondorf was sealed away...but not for all time. He was revived, and he returned to Hyrule in a red wrath. He attacked this temple and stole my soul, knowing that he had to remove the power contained in that enchanted blade. In order to return the power to repel evil to your sword, you must find another to take my stead in this temple and ask the gods for their assistance.

This clearly describes the events of the Adult parts of OoT. This means that WW must follow those events.

From Majora's Mask

In the land of Hyrule, there echoes a legend. A legend held dearly by the Royal Family that tells of a boy... A boy who, after battling evil and saving Hyrule, crept away from the land that had made him a legend... Done with the battles he once waged across time, he embarked on a journey. A secret and personal journey... A journey in search of a beloved and invaluable friend... A friend with whom he parted ways when he finally fulfilled his heroic destiny and took his place among legends...

This shows that Link's adventure as a child continues after OoT. However, both WW and MM can't take place at the same time. This problem is effectively solved by the Split Timeline.

What about TP? Well...

Question: When does Twilight Princess take place?
Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.
Question: And the Wind Waker?
Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there's a scene showing Ganon's execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...

So, TP takes place after OoT (and obviosuly after MM). This was also the interview where the Split-Timeline was confirmed. Nevertheless, what are we going to do with AlttP? Since WW and TP follows OoT, it seems strange that OoT still would be the back story of AlttP. However, this subject is much debated.
I think that AlttP takes place on the "Child Timeline" (the timeline where MM and TP happen), since the Master Sword is lost at the bottom fo the sea in WW, while it's in a forest in TP; because AlttP takes place in the same land as Ocarina of Time, which we know was flooded in WW, whereas it is very much dry in TP and for some other reasons.

LoZ and AoL was confirmed to follow AlttP, but they can be separated. LA is widely considered, and in one way confirmed, as a sequel to AlttP.

I hope this might help you!

/Blue Window

Another argument against a pre-OoT placement for LoZ/AoL is that Hyrule is united in those games, which it shouldn't be if it takes place before OoT. OoT takes place a couple of years after the war that unified the land.

(SS might change this, but I still think this is a valid argument today.)

/Blue Window

actually Hyrule is split in Loz/Aol, the Loz manual refers to a small kingdom in the land of hyrule, and Impa says the sleeping Zelda story is from when Hyrule still was united

If Hyrule was united prior to LoZ and AoL, the unification of Hyrule took place before those games. Since OoT is the first game after the unification, LoZ and AoL should follow OoT. Or am I missing something?

/Blue Window

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom