• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Love It? Hate It? Love-Hate?

What do you think of Majora's Mask?

• Loved it all the way through!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hated it!

• It was a bit discouraging but I got through it so I enjoyed it.

• Love-Hate

• I haven't played it yet

• Total voters

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Hey Everyone, what are your thoughts on Majora's Mask? When i was a kid I remember playing it in Wal-Mart or Future Shop just to see if it was like Ocarina of Time or different than Link's Awakening (the only two Zelda games I thought existed at the time ^_^ ). I thought it was cool but frankly I sucked at it. As I got more into Zelda about 4 years ago, I decided to give it another go as I had played it on an emulator on my computer and it always crashed when i got the Goron Mask -_-. Anyways when I actually played through the Virtual Console version, I absoulately HATED it. The save system was annoying, the dungeons drove me nuts and I was just irritated with it...Until Stone Temple Tower. Boy did I LOVE the whole Ikana Canyon area and I absolutely adored the music within the game. I finished the game and didnt think too much of it afterwards.

DONT HATE ME YET!

Now during my second playthrough, Im appreciating the uniqueness of this Zelda more than ever. Since I know what to do and how this game works, it is possibly one of my favourite Zeldas ever. What do you guys think?

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I don't really know what to think. I played it on an emulator on a laptop which took away from the experience. I don't plan on replaying anytime soon unless its on the n64. I wouldve thought the game was fantastic, as the characters, bosses, etc were fantastic, if not for one problem. The time limit. i understand it was needed for the plot to actually tie together, but im one of those people that has to explore in a zelda game. I cant explore what happens in each area if theres a time limit where you have to store your items and cash and then restart the process. I especially found it hard to explore sicne different events happen on different days.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
it's OK i suppose. think there's a thread somewhere around here saying that Twilight Princess is a good game, it's just not a good Zelda game. that's pretty much my sentiment towards Majora's Mask. i know it was supposed to be different from the usual Zelda game but, to me, it was TOO different and didn't feel like a Zelda game

I'm so sad to see these people saying how they liked it, but not much. I love this game so freaking much, its one of my favorite Zelda games, if not my favorite.

I love love love love love love love LOVE the time cycle, I love how it was done, the way it allowed for characters to have lives, not just with the routines but with you being able to do something to someone, or waiting to long to do something, then its gone. This makes the characters feel more real, and with time travel it allows you to go back and try again. And it also made the game more difficult, but in a good way. Just think of hero mode on MM on a 3 heart challenge? That would be so difficult! But it would really test your skills

I don't understand how r2d93 didn't get enough exploring as I had plenty of it. I didn't feel like I was limited by the time cycle in any sort way for the exploring. the game made me feel like I was exploring constantly. maybe it was the fairies, or maybe it was just the way the areas were so dense that there seemed to be something at every corner if you looked hard enough. Or maybe it was the characters, so whenever you met one you felt like you found a new thing to explore(that sounded wrong 0_o) Who knows, but I know that I feel like I'm finding something every second.

The dungeons were amazing. Creative, difficult, and with the time cycle, very challenging. I love the dungeons so much. And then the things like the baby crying, or the(my favorite) zora eggs, oh man, I love doing those! :) Then one of the best parts: the side quests! The side quests were so (a lot of them) interesting. From sexy ladies dancing, to the invisible knight, to the Anju and Kefei quest, they were all so much fun to do, or they had wonderful story's, I'm sorry, but I love this game to the bits and pieces! The only problem I had with it was the freazing thing, had to re-due finding the eye 3 times because of freezing, or the fact that I tripped over the chord fetching some chips.

M

Metroid.

To me, the N64 titles are the epitome of Zelda. I haven't ever finished playing ALttP in full; I refuse to play it with a keyboard and can't find a suitable emulator for Wii. My first game was OoT which according to many (myself not included) is about as Zelda as a game can get. Having the juxtaposition of MM following OoT basically shaped my understanding of what a Zelda game should be, and the diversity the series should show. In my most honest opinion, Zelda with the time mechanic offers more potential than a Zelda without it. That said, it's not my favourite Zelda; tbh I don't really have one.

For the record, I think the time mechanic offers the most exploration any game could give. Imagine the depth of ALttP's 2 worlds expanded over a MM style time dynamic one.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I loved Majora's Mask all the way through the entire game. It had the same engine of Ocarina of Time and even added more unique deatails such as Link flipping when he jumps. This game right behind Ocarina of Time are my 2 favorite Zelda games.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
In haven't played Majora's Mask ever since I was over a friend's house, but I really want to. the game just really seems like something challenging, and different. I also think it's one of the games that breaks the Zelda formula a bit and makes it work. the time limit and the masks also add to that unique gameplay experience.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
I'm so sad to see these people saying how they liked it, but not much. I love this game so freaking much, its one of my favorite Zelda games, if not my favorite.

I love love love love love love love LOVE the time cycle, I love how it was done, the way it allowed for characters to have lives, not just with the routines but with you being able to do something to someone, or waiting to long to do something, then its gone. This makes the characters feel more real, and with time travel it allows you to go back and try again. And it also made the game more difficult, but in a good way. Just think of hero mode on MM on a 3 heart challenge? That would be so difficult! But it would really test your skills

I don't understand how r2d93 didn't get enough exploring as I had plenty of it. I didn't feel like I was limited by the time cycle in any sort way for the exploring. the game made me feel like I was exploring constantly. maybe it was the fairies, or maybe it was just the way the areas were so dense that there seemed to be something at every corner if you looked hard enough. Or maybe it was the characters, so whenever you met one you felt like you found a new thing to explore(that sounded wrong 0_o) Who knows, but I know that I feel like I'm finding something every second.

The dungeons were amazing. Creative, difficult, and with the time cycle, very challenging. I love the dungeons so much. And then the things like the baby crying, or the(my favorite) zora eggs, oh man, I love doing those! :) Then one of the best parts: the side quests! The side quests were so (a lot of them) interesting. From sexy ladies dancing, to the invisible knight, to the Anju and Kefei quest, they were all so much fun to do, or they had wonderful story's, I'm sorry, but I love this game to the bits and pieces! The only problem I had with it was the freazing thing, had to re-due finding the eye 3 times because of freezing, or the fact that I tripped over the chord fetching some chips.

I totally agree with you. It's such a deep game that I was ashamed to not have recognized the first time I played through it. So what if it "breaks the Zelda formula". Tell me what does a Zelda game need to have to be a Zelda game then? Dungeons? Well Majora's Mask has those and they are quite lengthy. Link? well yeah hes there too! Zelda? Hmmm dont see any Zelda in Link's Awakening. A collection of items to get through the game? The four masks seem to be that collection. It's as "Zelda" as they come.

Personally I think Majora's Mask is one of, if not THE most unique Zelda game I have ever played

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
MM is one of my fav. zelda games. I absolutely love it. I like it more than OoT and almost as much as I love skyward sword. I love it through and through. It feels really emotional for me. What I actually did was when I played OoT through my first time I went directly, 2 minutes later, straight to MM. It made this connection between me and link. I actually felt like link probably did. I felt that things were out of place. I was saving a land I felt was alien to me. There was kind of an air of sadness around, until I got used to termina. I absolutely love it though. It is really fun and I enjoy the level of difficulty and think that it nailed how difficult zelda should be. The ambiance effects were really well done too. I think the bosses were cool in that they were kind of strange. I love MM and am actually currently playing it. There are still a ton of sidequests and the dungeons are still fairly difficult. I haven't 100% the game ever and probably will take a while to do so if I ever. This game is deep and I think is a shining gem of the zelda series.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I really like MM, although a little short now It has provided me with fun times, especially as a child where It would not have been short. It took me ages to figure out what to do and It had a great feel.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
To me, the N64 titles are the epitome of Zelda. I haven't ever finished playing ALttP in full; I refuse to play it with a keyboard and can't find a suitable emulator for Wii. My first game was OoT which according to many (myself not included) is about as Zelda as a game can get. Having the juxtaposition of MM following OoT basically shaped my understanding of what a Zelda game should be, and the diversity the series should show. In my most honest opinion, Zelda with the time mechanic offers more potential than a Zelda without it. That said, it's not my favourite Zelda; tbh I don't really have one.

For the record, I think the time mechanic offers the most exploration any game could give. Imagine the depth of ALttP's 2 worlds expanded over a MM style time dynamic one.

If you have an iPad or iPhone, you can play it with either touch pad or by hooking up a Wii controller and the Wii classic controller. This makes it feel like you are actually playing the game and it not just being emulated. You should also be able to do this with a Droid phone, but my HTC Incredible has some bluetooth issues. I'm pretty sure that you can't hook up the Wii controller to any HTC phone...(that's really the only thing i find disappointing in their phones) However, I have played A link to the Past, Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, and Oracle of Seasons all on my Droid and for the most part there were no gameplay hickups. I would advise using savestates only to save your game right then and there so that you can come back to it and not so that you can keep retrying one part until you get past it without dying. Abusing Save States takes all the fun out of any video game but I am glad they are there. But yeah it's not the same if you try to emulate something with a keyboard....there's just something about having the controller or something that feels like a controller that makes gaming that more enjoyable.

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
I loved Majora's Mask. It was actually the first N64 Zelda game I played. Yeah, I played them out of order :P

I didn't like the time limit, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the game. Looking back on it now, it's an excellent game in terms of story and emotion. It's a very sad, touching game, and I think that's what I like most about it.

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
I really loved Majora's Mask. It's one of my favorite Zelda games up there with OoT and TWW. I really liked the originality of the game as a whole, and I actually didn't despise the three-day time limit. It gave me a large challenge to work over. The gameplay, plotline, dungeons, bosses, characters, and everything else that made up this game were very well thought-out and made it an incredible game.

~SkullKid~

~Mazuke~
Well MM Being my 2nd favorite zelda game I would say that I love it. It may be the shortest Zelda game but games shouldn't be judged on length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom