• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Looking It Up Vs. Figuring It Out

Do you look it up or figure it out?

• Look it up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Figure it out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
When I first started playing Zelda, I looked a lot of junk up. Not because Majora's Mask was too hard (though it is a pretty difficult game) but because it had so many secrets and I wanted to experience them all. However, when my second Zelda experience with OoT came, I started losing the joy in looking everything up. Mainly because I lost what could've been a great experience in discovering who Shiek really was. Ever since, I'm heavily against looking things up. The point of video games is to have fun and I think looking things up for a problem solving game takes away from that fun. It takes alot to make me look something up, and sometimes even more. But again, it's about fun so if there's a puzzle that's so hard it's stopping someone from enjoying the game, I'm not completely against them looking up some help. But for me, I do my best not to until I no longer care about the game in that manner.

Skittles

Rainbows!
There should be an in between answer, because, for me, it actually depends.

When I was younger (just starting out) I would look it up sometimes even before I ran into problems! That was when I was a little kid and didn't actually have siblings to help me out (despite them being older than me, but you could call that situation rather unique and irrelevant). So, when I played OoT, I looked it all up. Did that for a few of the other games, but...once I got older, and really, once I played WW, I only looked stuff up if I was really in a bind. Only if it was super difficult. I was still rather young at the time... Though...by the time that Twilight Princess was release, I played the game without a guide and was quite able to go through the dungeons. The same was true for all the Zelda games I beat after TP like aLttP, MC, PH, (most of) ST (I haven't beaten yet...), one of the Oracles, MM, and SS. Mainly in that order.

So, yeah, I voted that I did, but honestly it just depends. I hate spending days on something, especially with my busy schedule. Though, I suppose I was stuck on something in MM for years (the Gerudo Fortress and Poe event. Freaked me out so bad for years. Now I can beat it easily...) Impatience plays a part, but usually, I use my brain (because most puzzles/things in Zelda don't confuse me like they use too). So, yes, I'm a loser...every great once in awhile. xD

I try first, but if I just can't figure it out, I look it up :).

Oh, and as a few others have said, yes, when I started playing Zelda I definitely looked things up a lot more.

Last edited:

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
I did look up a lot when I was younger, probably stuff I didn't have to, which I regret now, since I keep wondering "Would I have realized that if I had really tried?" And I feel like I would have. But I don't know, since I didn't myself a chance to find out.

Nowadays, I'll look stuff up for 3 reasons:
--if I'm having less fun trying to figure it out than if I were to look it up, then I look it up.
--if I have serious doubts if I'm doing the right thing or not, mostly in dungeons. I would rather look up if I'm doing something right than have to backtrack for hours, which has happened before and it sucks.
--if I want to get all all of the bonus content (especially is games like MM and TWW), but really don't want to spend hours talking to random people to see if they have quests or sailing halfway across the Great Sea only to find out that I need to go back. Heck, I probably wouldn't even know the trading sequence of OoT or the Anju and Kafei quest of MM even exist if I hadn't looked the start of them up, but I'm glad I did.

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I tend to work things out myself. The only time I look stuff up is when I'm about to claw my eyes out with frustration.

Jabu-Jabu was easy enough, the Zora gives a massive hint (the one standing in the shallow end moaning they can't afford a fish but they can catch one) also Navi. Also, I had seen my older brother do it. But I wouldn't have needed to watch him to figure that out. The one thing I always have to look up no matter how many times I've played through is where to go in the Water Temple and when. I have it written down now so I can just refer to it when I get stuck. I think I have a mental block on that dungeon. However, I never had to look anything up for WW or TP. SS I don't recall really looking anything up either, but I may have done at some point.

For me it depends on the scenario.
If I am in a dungeon and there is a puzzle I will figure it out.
if I am looking for a way to defeat a hard enemy I will figure it out.
If I have to find a heart piece in a random area in the overworld that I would never visit, THEN I would look it up.
And entering jabu-jabu took very simple logic, but don't get me started on the shadow temple!
That took 4 whole days to figure out.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Both, really.

I'll always try and figure out a puzzle first. Figure out everything in the game first. But, I'm quite impatient and not averse to having a sneaky look at what I need to do. 90% of the time too, in all games, it's such an obscure thing that needs to be done too. But, yeah, sometimes I just want to progress the game rather than be stuck at the same spot for an hour, so I'll look stuff up.

Din Akera

Sniper
USually I spend hours trying to figure it out. I will at least sleep on it for sure. I have a funny story about that actually. One of the cave side quest block puzzles in TP I couldn't figure out. I literally just ran around pushing the blocks around trying to get the heart piece. i turned the game off and went to bed with the intention to try again the next day (as per my usual norm). In my sleep I was dreaming about the block puzzle and my subconscious figured it out! I solved it in my sleep! No joke. I woke up (middle of the night) ran to the gamecube, turned it on and did the puzzle and got the heart piece. Anyway, moral of the story is that I usually can figure it out if I give myself some down time from it and come back to it later.

I will however say that I do cave after I get really frustrated. If I can't get it after a couple days and I'm getting angry and just want to move forward then I look it up. Basically, I have to no longer be drawing enjoyment from the challenge for me to look it up. I love the mental stimulation Zelda gives me. This is why I play it so much. But it still has to be fun.

As to the Jabu-Jabu portion of the question, I don't remember how I figured it out the first time. Most likely I saw my cousin do it, as she was the one to introduce me to OoT. I was thinking at first that I figured it out form the line about how Ruto got swallowed when she was feeding him, but i think that is when you are talking to her, after you are inside already, so that can't be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom