• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Looking Back at Minish Cap.

I recently played through Minish Cap, and made a few connections in the process, and I think there are some untapped, or at least not often talked about, theoretical material.

- Picorri, Kokiri, and Oocca -

The Minish, or Picorri, have similarities to the Kokiri, as well as the Oocca. First, the Kokiri. Beyond the similar sounding name, the Minish have the ability to hide in plane site (not entirely unlike the Kikwi, though in a different way). They also had a similar housing structure, when the Minish were housing inside of mushrooms and the like. The Minish are only supposed to be seen by children, and the Kokiri are perpetual children. While the Hylians who were becoming Kokiri were transitioning, I am willing to bet that the Minish became heavily involved. (I also made a previous theory that the Kikwi were involved with that transformation, and I think this works in, as well.)

The possible connection to the Oocca are more interesting, to me. They both originated from the sky. Their mission seem very similar, in that they both helped Hylians construct Hyrule. They both live in what is often called a different realm, despite that realm being physically connected to Hyrule. When Link first shrinks down, Ezlo refers to it as "the world of the Minish." The Oocca live in the sky, which we have seen so far, as being treated as a different realm, as well. The game doesn't give much for us to work with, due to the low resolution, and the dialogue doesn't tell us much about their bodies, aside from them being very light, even for their size. One even needs help counterbalancing a book to knock it out of the rafters. The official art work, on the other hand, does provide more detail. The intention very well may have been to give them tails resembling squirrels, but the tails look far more like single feathers. I don't think it is too far of a stretch for the Oocca to have evolved from the Minish, especially given the other strange evolutions we have seen in other races.

- Carlov -

At first, I thought, as many of you may, that Carlov, and especially his figurines, are more of a system of eastereggs. Then, I found a citizen of the town talking about the figurines. then later realized that he has a house in the town. Carlov, his figurines, and the information they include, are part of the world; meaning that he has a way of gaining information beyond that of regular Hylians. He is able to even create models of the Minish, the creatures deep in dungeons, and even the forms Vaati takes. Between his knowledge beyond reason, and his connection to technology, I think Carlov may be, or have connections with the Sheikah. It may even be something he learned about Vaati's source of power, that lead to the abilities/technology of the Sheikah, and why they use the eye symbolism.

This works in with the idea of time traveling Sheikah, meaning that Carlov, in Minish Cap, may be the birthing point of the Sheikah. This would bolster the idea that Impa's tribe, from Skyward sword, and possibly many other games, were from the future, not the past.

- The Wind Tribe -

It has been theorized that the Wind tribe are many things. I believe that their hair, style of dress, living in the sky, their previous home, and the connection to Zeffa, all need to be accounted for. First the old news, before moving on to connections that I have yet to (personally) see in a theory. The red hair is easily connected to the Gerudo, and so is the style of dress. Their clothing looks to be made of layers, and the men look to be wearing hats with fabric draping off the back, which is common in more arid locations. The clothes look a little bulky for hot desert conditions, (Though the resolution does make this judgement a little difficult.) unless the bulky fabric was only selected for the colder conditions in the sky. The same styles could easily be used with breathable fabric, providing great protection from the desert heat. Layers, of any fabric, are extremely uncomfortable in muggy environments. This tells me that their home in the ruins, near the swamp, was always temporary. They did not originate from the wind ruins. This leaves Zeffa, the bird that Link calls with the Ocarina of Wind, and who carries Link to the Wind Crests. These birds are likely descended from the Loftwings we saw in Skyward Sword.

When Groose departed, at the end of Skyward Sword, with his loftwing no less, he probably did form his own settlement. The only reason I can find for his settling in the desert so soon, would be to gain access to the abandoned technology. At this point, the group he had started would have been loyal to the young Hyrulian people. If their help was requested in keeping the Wind Element safe, they would likely have done so, even to the point of moving near a swamp, then returning to the sky of their ancestors, likely with the help of their smaller loftwings. Later, after the protection was no longer needed, they may have returned to the desert.

Alternatively, and easily as likely, the Wind Tribe may have split from the Gerudo tribe, to protect the Wind Element, and remained separate. Either way, this was all before the natural born men became part of their identity, but was on it's way. Almost all of the people we see from the Wind Tribe are female. I only counted three males, and one is an old man.

- Acro-Bandits and the Mogma -

It never sat well with me that the Mogma are said to have never appeared in any games (chronologically) after Skyward Sword, despite looking so familiar. In this recent play-through, of Minish Cap, I was quickly reminded of the existence of the Acro-Bandits. The red nose, the similar coloring, the masks, the stubby legs, the digging. I think they are one in the same, and shifted from treasure hunting, to banditry. We also now have a solid reasoning for their disappearance later on in the timeline. They were likely hunted down, or chased away, by the Hyrulians.

- Armos and Guardians -

This one I have seen in one place, after I had the thought myself, that the inside of, the Minish Cap version of, the armos is very similar to the guardians we see in Breath of the Wild. Not enough to suggest that they were made by the same hand, in my opinion, but enough to give a clue to the origin of the technology. It should also be pointed out that not all armos function quite the same, either. These function more like armored guards, while others act a lot more mindlessly. Whichever Sheikah created the guardians, may have based it on the construction of the armos created by the Minish. Judging by the robot on top of Carlov's house, he may have even started the research that led to the guardians we see later. The armos we see in Twilight princess may even be a mid point where the Minish armos were reverse engineered, and constructed, with the glowing lines on the outside because the creator was not small enough for such detailed work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom