• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Looking Back, Again.

After playing through Skyward Sword, the HD version this time, I had a number of realizations, and thoughts that I think should be revisited.

The Kikwi:
It is stated, I don't remember where (Hyrule Historia?), that the Kokiri originated from Hylians. It is also not a stretch that the Deku shrubs, being so plant like, and hiding so much, could have come from the Kikwi. That said, playing a second time through, I realized/remembered how much the Kikwi remind me of the Koroks. The mask like faces, their ability to apparently hide from enemies, but so blatantly obvious to Link, not to mention that Fi seems to detect them as at least partly plant. It seems obvious that there is some connection. I think the Deku tree is the key. If the Kikwi did become the Deku Shrub people, most of them remaining small, not all of them did. Some may have evolved into trees, such as the Deku Trees, and possibly the Maku trees. The tall Kikwi even has the mustache for it already. The early Hylians who would become the Kokiri would have likely started by living with the Kikwi. The Kikwi, Oloo, and Instructor Owlan many have even been the impetus of Hylians wanting to live with nature. As this branch of Kikwi evolved, they would have grown in power, the greatest among them gaining an increased life span, as well as the power to help his people hide, eventually even change the structure of their forms.

Region names:
Some people seem to think the names of the regions are fluid, and can change from game to game, and others have the opposite opinion. I don't know why it only half donned on me the first time around, and it took a second play through, a few years later to finish the thought. The regions are named after the dragons (Big shock, I know, stay with me, though). If a dragon moves, the name of the region would likely follow. As the thunder dragon, Lanayru, says, and displays, while Dragons have no limit to their life span, they can also die. Plus, after his life is saved, he still moves somewhere else, evident by only being able to be found in the past, yet also showing up to sing with the other dragons. There is a slight change, by the time of Breath of the Wild, though. These dragons, don't share names with regions, suggesting naming a region after a dragon is now reserved for where it dies.

Three regions, three dragons, three timelines:
I think you might see where this is going, but let me lay it all out anyway. In each region, the dragon reacts to an increase in monsters a different way. Faron floods the forest. Eldin releases a burst of power. The effect here is questionable. I'm not sure the dragon directly attacked a bunch of monsters, or if it was more of a posturing/warning. Lanayru, on the other hand seems to just be gone. The land was nothing like when he first arrived, so he probably didn't think it was worth defending. This mirrors the three timelines. Farron flooding the forest being parallel to the flooding of Hyrule, in the adult timeline, was obvious, even during my first play through. During the second play through, I realized that the desert region is an analogue for the downfall timeline. The whole region is in a long decaying downfall, even before finding out about the dragon. Everything about Hyrule, in this timeline, is in decay. The sacred realm is tainted. Prosperity, for a time, seems to only be maintained by the king directly wielding the Triforce. In Zelda II, link needs to leave the shores of the main land mass, to find the rest of the Triforce. This basically makes the Elden region the Child timeline. Here both Elden and Hyrule stand their ground. It is still up for interpretation, in both cases, if there was a direct lethal show of force, or if it was all posturing. This also opens the door to the question of if the time split was predestined. Did the time traveling Sheikah know about it. How could Hylia not have already known?

Time Traveling Sheikah:
This was a theory that I remember seeing back when Skyward Sword first came out. It is a great theory, in my opinion. They are said to work closely with Hylia, and seem to be connected to the gates of time. Although, there is almost always a very small number, often being the "only one," or "the last." Being time traveling agents would not only help with their inexplicably high levels of technology, but also explain how they can be always on their way out, vanish from history, then pop up again, but as they are on their way out, again. With Breath of the wild having such a large tribe, and their numbers being very healthy, I think the theory could use a simple update. The Time traveling Sheikah don't come from the past, from the war of Demise, but from the Future.

-Edit- (almost forgot)

Possible Zonai construction:
I haven't had the chance to dig out my Wii, and check with the original, so I am only going off of what I see in the HD version. The textures used to adorn some locations seem very similar to the ones applied to Zonai structures, in Breath of the Wild. Most notably; the under side of the great statue, the sealed grounds, and Isle of songs. This could be a clue that the Zonai were actually Hylians before the raising of Skyloft. Or, an Idea I prefer, that the Zonai learned their construction from what was left by the Hylians, at that point. (I am sure the new game will give us more to go on, and we can really revisit this possible connection later.

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Three regions, three dragons, three timelines:
I think you might see where this is going, but let me lay it all out anyway. In each region, the dragon reacts to an increase in monsters a different way. Faron floods the forest. Eldin releases a burst of power. The effect here is questionable. I'm not sure the dragon directly attacked a bunch of monsters, or if it was more of a pestering/warning. Lanayru, on the other hand seems to just be gone. The land was nothing like when he first arrived, so he probably didn't think it was worth defending. This mirrors the three timelines. Farron flooding the forest being parallel to the flooding of Hyrule, in the adult timeline, was obvious, even during my first play through. During the second play through, I realized that the desert region is an analogue for the downfall timeline. The whole region is in a long decaying downfall, even before finding out about the dragon. Everything about Hyrule, in this timeline, is in decay. The sacred realm is tainted. Prosperity, for a time, seems to only be maintained by the king directly wielding the Triforce. In Zelda II, link needs to leave the shores of the main land mass, to find the rest of the Triforce. This basically makes the Elden region the Child timeline. Here both Elden and Hyrule stand their ground.
I love this bit

So, after thinking about the "Three regions, three dragons, three timelines" for a bit, I had a realization, but for some of it, I need to put on my tinfoil fedora, grab my red string, and get ready for some people to absolutely hate it.

If the dragons and their regions are indeed analogous to each timeline, the rabbit hole goes deeper. Lanayru's region, and the downfall timeline, are in decay. Lanayru is saved by altering the past. This is similar to the theory about a downfall timeline Triforce wish made the events in Ocarina of Time possible. This also occurs when trying to put the final song together. For this final song, Link needs to get song fragments from all three dragons. But, a fourth part of the song also exists, given to Levias. No, not going Tetraforce, not today! The tree dragons are generally guardians of, or manifestations of, or generally connected to, the powers of the three goddeesses/Triforce pieces. Levias, being a whale, is something else. Being the guardian separated from the three regions, he may symbolize the Hylians, but I think a people working more closely with the Goddess Hylia is a better fit, namely the Sheikah. I've already mentioned the time traveling Sheikah theory, which makes them the element that is separate from the three time branches.

Here's the part I know some of you are going to hate because the song is combined, or unified. With what we have already outlined, this all suggests that not only was the time split planned, but so was a convergence. I already know how some fans absolutely hate the idea of the timelines converging. However some people may hate the idea, there is ample foreshadowing here. Combine this with what I pointed out in my previous theory, about the Sheikah shrines, with the three shrines at the Dueling Peaks; where I outline where I believe their placement and puzzles are a refrence to the Sheikah not only knowing about the three time lines, but working to realign them.

I haven't had the chance to dig out my Wii, and check with the original, so I am only going off of what I see in the HD version. The textures used to adorn some locations seem very similar to the ones applied to Zonai structures, in Breath of the Wild. Most notably; the under side of the great statue, the sealed grounds, and Isle of songs. This could be a clue that the Zonai were actually Hylians before the raising of Skyloft. Or, an Idea I prefer, that the Zonai learned their construction from what was left by the Hylians, at that point. (I am sure the new game will give us more to go on, and we can really revisit this possible connection later.
I also thought that these locations were kinda Zonai-esque. There is something about these locations being connected to wind/sky magic, green being associated with wind magic in Zelda traditionally, and the new green energy found throughout TotK. I would have to explain my larger magic system Zelda theory, but the architectural similarities may at least speak for the tribal associations (or derivations).

I think the Deku tree is the key. If the Kikwi did become the Deku Shrub people, most of them remaining small, not all of them did. Some may have evolved into trees, such as the Deku Trees, and possibly the Maku trees.
I've always liked the idea that the Kikwi became the Deku Shrubs and the Kokiri became the Koroks, essentially both getting closer to true living plants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom