• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Looking at the groups of sages or similar people in the franchise; how many are there?

I was wondering...how many groups of sages or sage esque groups are there?

We have the Ancient Sages, who appear to have assisted with Hylia in the creation of the MS, and sealed Ganondorf in the Twilight Realm on the CT, and we have the Shrine Maidens in FSA who, if they're like the maidens of ALttP, not true sages, but have alot of their power.

On the Adult Timeline, we have the Ancient Sages like in the Child Timeline, but we also have the Awakened Sages, who the Hero of Time
has to awaken(maybe due to Ganondorf killing the Ancient Sages?), who then seal Ganondorf away. We also have the Sages of Prayer in TWW, who have the purpose of praying to restore the MS to it's full power, and also is one of the smallest sage groups ever, with their being only two.

On the Downfall Timeline, we have the Ancient Sages and Awakened Sages as on the AT, but after that we have the Seven Wise Men(who are called sages in the JP, but ''wise men'' is a good way to differentiate them from other sage groups IMO), the group of sages who seal the SR during the Imprisoning War to halt Ganon's forces. These sages appear to be older Hylian men. We then have the maidens in ALttP, who are not true sages due to their lack of power in comparison to the Seven Wise Men, but appear to have some of their power due to being of the same bloodline, as they manage to atleast let Link gain entry to Ganon's Tower. We then after have the Seven Sages of Sealing in the backstory of ALBW who help the hero of that period seal Ganon in darkness. We then have the Painted Sages in ALBW itself, who help Link awaken the ToC inside himself.

So, we have:

Child Timeline: Ancient Sages>Shrine Maidens

Adult Timeline: Ancient Sages>Awakened Sages>Sages of Prayer>Lokomo

Downfall Timeline: Ancient Sages>Awakened Sages>Seven Wise Men>Maidens>Oracles>Seven Sages of Sealing>Painted Sages

Itallics refer to groups that are either debatably sages due to not being mentioned explicitly ingame as being sages, or confirmed to not be sages.

Some people disagree with this due to thinking that the IW sages are the OoT sages in current canon or other things, but I'd like to know what you guys think.

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
The term "sage" has never been very well defined throughout the Zelda series. In games like Oot and LBW they need to awaken as a sage, being chosen by some force for whatever reason. But when we see maidens in LttP, I believe they are described as being descendants of the seven sages, and that their abilities were passed down through their bloodlines. For me, I wouldn't count them as sages because yes, they have that power, but they were not chosen by the goddesses.
On the other hand, I would count the champions in BotW as sages, even though they were never called that and mostly used the divine beast's power. They each had individual powers that no one else in their tribes did, and used them to help Hyrule. Yunobo, who inherited Daruk's power, is more like a maiden in the sense that her gained those powers simply because of his relation to Daruk.

Sorry but I don't consider the Champions sages, or even sage like. They might have some magic power, but by that logic, Ganon would be a sage. They mostly relied on technology rather than their powers, and they were not awakened in any sort of divine way but selected by Zelda, whereas in OoT, TWW, and ALBW they need to be awakened. IMO, they're their own thing.

I remembered that in Japanese, the Oracles areconsidered Shrine Maidens, so I'll update the list in the OP.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
You could perhaps count the old men who teach you spells in AoT, though that would be a more literal interpretation. Same with the old men in LoZ.

Last edited:
OOT/WWST (some non-canon)FSAALTTP (Non-canon)ALTTPALBWZelda 2 (Non-canon)TPBotW (TotS)
Ruto, Sage of WaterCarben, Sage of WaterBlue MaidenZora King AncestorOrange MaidenOren, Sage of WaterRuto, Sage of JumpSage of WaterMonk of Water
Nabooru, Sage of SpiritAnjean, Sage of SpiritsRed MaidenBlind AncestorRed MaidenIrene, Sage of SpiritNabooru, Sage of FireSage of SpiritMonk of Spirit
Rauru, Sage of LightRael, Sage of LightWhite MaidenAginah AncestorYellow MaidenOsfala, Sage of LightRauru, Sage of ShieldSage of LightMonk of Light
Impa, Sage of ShadowByrne, Sage of ShadowPurple MaidenSahasrahla AncestorPink MaidenImpa, Sage of ShadowParapa, Sage of ThunderSage of ShadowMonk of Shadow
Saria, Sage of ForestGage, Sage of ForestGreen MaidenLoyal Sage AncestorGreen MaidenSeres, Sage of ForestSaria, Sage of LifeSage of ForestMonk of Forest
Darunia, Sage of FireEmbrose, Sage of FireYellow MaidenLost Old Man AncestorBlue MaidenRosso, Sage of FireDarunia, Sage of ReflectSage of FireMonk of Fire
Zelda, Sage of TimeZeldaZeldaHyrulean King AncestorZeldaZeldaKasuto, Sage of the TriforceMonk of the Sword
Fado/Makar, Sage of WindLink, Sage of WindGulley, Sage of WindMido, Sage of Fairy
Laruto/Medli, Sage of EarthSteem, Sage of EarthTantari, Sage of Spell

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom