• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Lon Lon Ranch & Lumpy Pumpkin

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I just realized that the Lumpy Pumpkin might be related to Lon Lon Ranch. It is highly unlikely but it could be possible. The other thing I realized is that even if they aren't related, they are a tradition to Zelda of sorts. There is normally a place (ranch/farm theme) in Zelda games where a family team works together. This was Lon Lon Ranch in Minish Cap, Four Swords, and Ocarina of Time. Ordon could very well be the ranch in Twilight Princess. And don't forget about Romani Ranch from Majora's Mask. They all have the same theme going. A friendly environment, normally with family, and is generally a farm or a ranch. So it makes sense that the Lumpy Pumpkin is the sky version of this tradition.

Any thoughts on this connection? Is it a vital aspect to the Zelda formula? Do you like it in the games?

I've never really thought about it before, but you're right! A ton of the games include a ranch full of friendly farmers. I wonder why it's always included. Maybe to pull the games back into a rural setting?

While I'm sure it isn't a vital aspect of the games, I like the ranches. It's always a good place to go if you're looking for sidequests or over-powered healing foods. ^^

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
These ranches and villages are my favorite places in any Zelda game, I was hoping for more inhabited islands in SS with sidequests, but this one had a lot anyway.

Yeah, I always thought that the Lumpy Pumpkin was just Skyward Sword's version of the ranch/farm that they seem to enjoy including in lots of the games. I personally love the ranches, and I loved the Lumpy Pumpkin and Ordon in particular for their ubiquitous pumpkins - pumpkin growing is always nostalgic for me as my childhood was full of lovely pumpkin patches. :P It's nice to see the ranches in the games, and I'd like to see it continue although they don't necessarily need them for every game. But for some, like with the Lumpy Pumpkin, it works well. I like it. :>

Yeah, the locales in the Zelda series do seem to fit tradition. Link's journey usually starts out in a humble village, and then there's always the main hub of sorts that he returns to - to recuperate and resupply his items and equipment; this sort of place is usually a bustling town/city. Skyward Sword seems unconventional in the sense that Link starts off [actually living] in a hub town [this is not common in the series]. Anyway, next to the hub town/city, or somewhere near it, there is always a sort of ranch or farm-esque place where friendly farmers/ranchers and farm animals can be found, and I agree that Pumpkin Landing fits the bill quite well (minus the animals; the pumpkins seem to "replace" the animals in a sense). The only thing that's missing is a Malon-based character, but then again, if you squint a little, Pumm does look like Talon. What do you think? [noparse]:P[/noparse]:

250px-PummSS.png
200px-OoT_Talon_art.png

In any case, it is safe to assume that Pumm and Kina pay homage to Malon and Talon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the places like Lon-Lon Ranch! they are a great place to go and just relax (excluding Romani Ranch that is) and generally have awesome peaceful music.

I never really thought of that until then. Maybe they just want to keep somethings the same but change them up.

no they are not related at all lon lon ranch raises animals lump pumpkin grows pumpkins lon lon serves milk lumpy serves pumpkin soup lon lon is in the ground lumpy is in the sky how did you ever come to that conclusion

Really I don't think they're related at all... But you're right in the fact that there always seems to be a "refeshment place" in the Zelda games... I.e. Lon lon ranch's milk, MM milk bar, SS lumpy pumpkin..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom