• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Live Action Legend of Zelda Television Show - What You Would Like to See (and Not to See)

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/02/06/legend-of-zelda-netflix-series/

Somebody on Facebook showed me an article that was titled "Netflix is Developing a Live-Action 'Legend of Zelda' Series", and since I was intrigued, I clicked on it. And it actually, surprisingly, seems legit. The Zelda Dungeon homepage, of course, already has a post about this news.

So this unexpected news brings me here to ask you guys your thoughts on this. What would you like, and not like, to see if such a show is made? Do you think this will actually happen, or if it's simply nothing more than a rumour at this point? Do you think a TV show will ruin the series? Most importantly, will you watch this show when/if it actually airs?

There is a bad history of live action and even animated adaptations of popular Nintendo franchises, so I'm a bit worried about it. I think, if done well enough, a show based on The Legend of Zelda could be good and fun to watch, but it would have to be done well enough so as not to completely ruin the series. Something Game of Thrones-esque, while still keeping it watchable for children, could be nice. idk though.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I'm fine with it. Its not like a crappy TV show can ruin Zelda for me. If I am still a devoted fan after everything the series has been through since I started playing it back in 88'; then there is not much that can pull me away from the series. Granted when I was young I liked the Cartoon even, but I was so young I couldn't tell a good show from a hole in the ground. I agree it is a huge turd now. But I have too admit Netflix has made some pretty decent shows.

All I can say that in order to make it a good story, they cannot try to replicate any existing storyline. I know some will be upset by that, but in order to save themselves some crap, just make it its own stand alone story, that way it can go on as long as its successful. Its not like the show couldnt pull from the endless line of source material, and fit it into its own story, just use known locations and artifacts and characters, and put it into its own story. Its really not as bad as it sound. I think it can be done. I'll watch it no matter what, and I will save my real opinion about it till I see it.

....anything... anything at all... but Skulltulas, double hookshot... shadow link... water temple... Epona... fierce deity... hero shade... shadow world... and almost any of the bosses top the list.

7324140.gif

LinkIsSexy

Kissing Link is like chocolate; rich and sweet.
I'm sure I'm the minority, but I don't want to see Link and Zelda as a couple.

Agreed. I've never been a fan of the Zelink pairing.

As to what I'd like to see in general...hmm...I think Link should be played by a relatively unknown actor. I would also like it if Link is blond and has big blue eyes.

I'd also like to see Sheik be a part of the show. And I think Ramin Karimloo would be a wonderful Sheik.

I think something that people keep forgetting is that those old shows, the ones that didn't turn out so well, were made with very little canon or background to go on. For instance, the 'Koopa" from Super Mario Bros. Super Show was an amalgamation of Bowser and Wart, since they only had the two games to derive anything from. However, now there is a long lineage of established story and character to draw from, with many different timelines, periods and styles to use as inspiration. There's a lot that can be done. And yeah, I'd trust the people who made House of Cards.

As to the pairing of Link and Zelda, I think they should only do it if it works. Don't shoehorn it in like every other American story does. If they want them to be a pair, plan it in advance and make the characters grow into it (that was one thing Skyward Sword did right, no matter what one might think of the rest of that game). But don't try to force a Twilight Princess Ice Queen into a relationship. Make it natural, make it evolve. Tell a good story. If them growing gradually closer together makes for a good story, then do it. If not, then don't.

Djinn

and Tonic
I would absolutely not at all want to see any generic Hollywood Fantasy stuff that never once happens in the series at all, but is so common of crap found on SyFy channel. No
  • No magic person waving hand and having absolutely anything happen at all because limitless Hollywood magic was firmly established by Bewitched/I Dream of Genie
  • No super grim dark setting with torn clothing on everyone, everything is overcast, and monsters are all superdark demonic things with lots of shadows
  • No super martial arts battle chick in combat bikini who only serves to be the best wire-fu fighter in the show
    -in the same vein, no Zelda hating being a princess and wanting to be a commoner then complaining about how royal life sucks so much
  • Do not make Link into the typical unwilling hero that complains about having to be the hero (Hollywood loves this right now)
  • No bumbling sidekick
  • No monsters/species that did not appear in the game, this means no dwarves, goblins, vampires, or made up things like Uni-cera-hippo-taur
  • No Jeremy Irons, don't care if he can mix a deep voice with an English accent. He s poison to the entire fantasy film genre
  • No ridiculously overstylized art dept making iconic things like the master sword look insane by adding in more spikes, etchings, blades in every direction, and a two foot long lightup hilt with a thousand gems in it

I just want a show that sticks to a very basic plot line, like Ocarina of Time's, and features some of the classic enemies as well as friendly races we've come to expect from the series. Exploring dungeons is also a given.

Something to avoid is making the series too serious or too humorous. The games have always managed to strike a balance.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
All I want is some decent story-telling, A half-decent level of respect for game lore and characters, a good fight scene, and for a fairy to say hey, listen at least once.

Salem

SICK
Link shouldn't speak much, I mean he should speak, but not a very talkative character.

Family friendly please.

It should have humour, but not stupid humour.

It doesn't have to have political statement.

It needs it's own story, it's own Link and Zelda etc. But it should have it's own canon, it doesn't have to follow the games 100%, but it can have some homages and fun cameos.

Tingle.

Since me wishing its not gonna happen won't do squat, I'd enjoy it more if it was in the spirit of Willow/old school Indiana Jones. That'd give us the action/exploration and a great fantasy vibe too. Epic battles, some magic, creepy ruins. I wouldn't mind seeing Zelda be a kick ass princess again instead of damsel in distress. I mean hell, Princess Toadstool/Peach looks more dainty and weak then Zelda, but she's been a solid playable character in several Mario games and all Zelda has to her name is the cartoon, the infamous CDi game that I've only heard about and Spirit Tracks.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Since me wishing its not gonna happen won't do squat, I'd enjoy it more if it was in the spirit of Willow/old school Indiana Jones. That'd give us the action/exploration and a great fantasy vibe too. Epic battles, some magic, creepy ruins. I wouldn't mind seeing Zelda be a kick ass princess again instead of damsel in distress. I mean hell, Princess Toadstool/Peach looks more dainty and weak then Zelda, but she's been a solid playable character in several Mario games and all Zelda has to her name is the cartoon, the infamous CDi game that I've only heard about and Spirit Tracks.
And wind waker, twlight princess, skyward sword.

I don't care it would be nice to have an adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom