• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Little Details You Want/Don't Want

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
What are some of the little things that you would keep or remove to improve the gameplay? I added a spoiler tag so you can talk about things we already know as well.

I love when we can skip nonessential scenes. Personally I'd even like the ability to skip the essential scenes and maybe have a playback option somewhere. When I'm replaying, I only watch the cut scenes I enjoyed most.

On the other hand, I could do without Link showing off a blue rupee every time I turn the game back on. It would happen at inconvenient times, too. "You got a blue rupee!" Yes, and I've also got a bulbin with a flaming arrow at my back. Thanks for moving me out of defensive position.

One thing mentioned in this interview is that Link can now drink potions while running. I love that. Though I will miss some of the odd backgrounds the pause would result in. "Excuse me, monster with its mouth almost swallowing my head. Could you hold that position for a moment while I drink this potion? Okay, now you can eat me."

What other little details would enhance your playing experience?

I really, REALLY do not want the HUD display to be there when the game is released. I believe I read somewhere that it will change by launch, but it still scares me. In Super Mario Galaxy 2, it drives me nuts how the game reminded you how to do every action with the Wii-mote when there is an obstacle, like swinging on a vine. It would be a buzz-kill to see something like that in SS. Nintendo needs to give gamers more credit.

I do have to agree with your skipping cut scenes idea. Sure, it's fun to see them all the first time through the game, but I think it should be optional. There were some scenes in TP I found to be quite dreadful to sit through (the interlopers scene, anything with Link's really dumb smile).

Zeanith

The Shadow Knight
Oh my GOD. This is going to be so amazing. It's so pretty! Even prettier than TP! I really can't wait to get my hands on it. Still...I want to see the girl that was in the painting Nintendo released earlier this year...

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Oh my GOD. This is going to be so amazing. It's so pretty! Even prettier than TP! I really can't wait to get my hands on it. Still...I want to see the girl that was in the painting Nintendo released earlier this year...

I think you thought you were in a different post. :P

I found another good argument for the ability to skip cut scenes - Majora's Mask. It took me ages to realize I could skip the transformation sequences, which was nice, considering how often we used them. But we couldn't skip the Elegy of Emptiness cut scenes and we had to play that so many times for the last part of the game. The Stone Temple dungeon didn't annoy me all that much, but the EoE did.

On a positive note, I love how far-reaching the arrows were in TP. It was pretty cool to be able to knock bulbins off the watch towers before they could even see you - though it didn't make it too easy for me because you had to have good eyes and aim to do so. Made me feel very stealth. Of course, I never used the hawkeye, so that might have changed the ease of it.

Also, I'd like to keep Link's screaming when he falls occasionally - I like to jump off the top of the observational tower into Lake Hylia and hear him freak out near the end of the fall. I don't want it to trigger in normal situations, though. I think there are a couple places where it's bugged me before, but I can't recall specifics at the moment. Maybe I haven't played that part in awhile...or maybe I was just bad at that part and am misremembering, heh.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
OMG, I loved those little things that they put in Skyward Sword! Where do I start?! XD

For one, I absolutely LOOOOOVE the sprinting feature. It. Is. Amazing. He runs so fast, and even though that little energy meter doesn't allow you to run for extended amounts of time, I'll be so immersed into the running that I'd probably spend hours upon hours just running... Oh, and rolling too.

I also enjoy how Link can do frontflips as an attack now! You should really go see how he does it; it's awesome. ^_^

Another thing; I like how Link can jump to climb ledges and everything now. Before, in older Zelda titles, Link had to pause for a few split seconds before climbing a ledge. Now, in SS, Link can just run up to the ledge or the vines and jump onto it really, really fast.

Oh, and I agree with you; I love how Link can drink potions in the middle of battle without a cutscene, but it does take away the funny moments we had with it. But once you think about it, it's really for the better.

Okay, now a few things I don't really like... For one, when you open up the item selection, it doesn't pause your game like it used to do, so if you're being chased by a pack of Bublins or something and you need to switch from your Whip to your Bow, it'll be hard to run from them and switch items at the same time. I liked it the way it was before; when you open up the item selection, it pauses your game.

Another thing is the energy meter. It pops up whenever Link sprints, and if it runs out he'll be really tired and walk super-slow. It's the same animation that played when you barely have any hearts left in TP. (Except now, in SS, when you're down to a few hearts, Link will blink red annoyingly instead of having that animation...) It will also pop up when you're struggling to get an enemy off of you or something. For example, Red Chus bite onto you, and to shake them off, you need to sacrifice a bit of that energy meter. Same thing with that Scorpion boss and the Skullwalltulas.

One other one: I don't like how whenever you shoot an arrow off of your Bow, it zooms in for a while and THEN you can shoot another arrow. I think this will make rapid-fire arrow shooting impossible, since you have to wait like 2 seconds between each arrow...

Hmm, I think that's it for now. XD

Ariel

Think for yourself.
I like the un-necessary attention to detail in the games.
Such as the accurate depiction of the night sky with the stars in TP.
Little aesthetic details like this and the changing seasons in the fishing hole will add a lot to this game.
I, personally, would like to see the return of gossip stones (or equivalents) as well as secret grottoes and the return of a musical instrument, with songs that affect the gameplay. That. Would. Be. Awesome!

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
What are some of the little things that you would keep or remove to improve the gameplay? I added a spoiler tag so you can talk about things we already know as well.

I love when we can skip nonessential scenes. Personally I'd even like the ability to skip the essential scenes and maybe have a playback option somewhere. When I'm replaying, I only watch the cut scenes I enjoyed most.

You don't like the cutscenes? Dayum!!
Most of the cutscenes in TP were some of the most touching and emotional bits of video I had seen in a long time, would take me back to the days of watching Titanic. Obviously this game isn't as emotional as TP, but I think that the cutscenes play i vital part in modern Zelda games.

I am completely in agreement with you concerning the showing off of rupees whenever the game is restarted, it really used to bug me. While on the topic, I would also prefer it if they but different things in chests this time around rather than blue, yellow and red rupees. Maybe a return for the spoils bag is needed?

Hopefully, if this is a happier game than TP then they will think it more appropriate to add more mini-games and happy side quests. In TP they had a basic variety of each, maybe this time through they will have many more!

D

dsp2000

One of the main things I would like to see added to the future Zelda games is seasons. I LOVED how they've incorporated day/night, but now I want to see at least Spring/Summer, Fall, and Winter. Imagine going across Hyrule field with Epona with snow slightly falling or going through the Lost Forest while the leaves are orange/yellow. I think how they could incorporate this is by after completing certain events in the game (such as completing a dungeon) a new season would be triggered. This could also provide the potential of going back to previous areas explored to get new info/items that are only available in certain seasons.

I would also like to see Link "grow older" in a game. Have Link in the first part of the game resemble the child, but as he gains more hearts/abilities we see an actual transformation from the "child link" to "adult link." I think if done right, this could give the game a more epic feel because it would give a sense of time to the game. For me, it seems that Link always saves the world in less than a year (except for Oot.) Having Link actually age with the game while having seasons, would give the sense that this is indeed a long battle between good and evil, not one that can be won in less than a year.

Epona

Ordon Village
One of the main things I would like to see added to the future Zelda games is seasons. I LOVED how they've incorporated day/night, but now I want to see at least Spring/Summer, Fall, and Winter. Imagine going across Hyrule field with Epona with snow slightly falling or going through the Lost Forest while the leaves are orange/yellow. I think how they could incorporate this is by after completing certain events in the game (such as completing a dungeon) a new season would be triggered. This could also provide the potential of going back to previous areas explored to get new info/items that are only available in certain seasons.

I would also like to see Link "grow older" in a game. Have Link in the first part of the game resemble the child, but as he gains more hearts/abilities we see an actual transformation from the "child link" to "adult link." I think if done right, this could give the game a more epic feel because it would give a sense of time to the game. For me, it seems that Link always saves the world in less than a year (except for Oot.) Having Link actually age with the game while having seasons, would give the sense that this is indeed a long battle between good and evil, not one that can be won in less than a year.

Those are really good ideas! I would love to see seasons and Link grow within the game. I found myself wishing for that several times while playing Zelda games. And changing seasons would keep things fresh and would be really pretty.

D

dsp2000

Those are really good ideas! I would love to see seasons and Link grow within the game. I found myself wishing for that several times while playing Zelda games. And changing seasons would keep things fresh and would be really pretty.

Yup, thats why i would like to see both ideas incorporated. I think other than changing the story, the Zelda creators need to think of other ways to freshen-up the series and I think these ideas would work.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
You don't like the cutscenes? Dayum!!

I always watch them the first time, I just skip some of them the second time. :) Also, it's probably not the right word for it, but I'm also referring to being able to skip some of the smaller ones (like when you warp places).

I just remembered something I loved from Wind Waker. I'm not sure if it would decrease the difficulty, but I liked that the enemies were able to do damage to each other in that game. It actually added a touch of realism in that they interacted with each other, but added slapstick comedy, too. Along those lines, I don't think this ever happened, but a wishlist thing would be another enemy getting stunned by a Redead's scream. It'd make the Redead the monster other monsters loved to hate.

Entirely different detail, but it was also nice when you could jump on Epona from behind and she'd automatically start out at a run. I don't know if that will be relevant to SS, but I hope it returns in the next game she's in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom