• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Literal Wish Upon a Star

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
So last night there was a meteor shower in the northeast sky. And it had me thinking, as a kid did you ever make wishes on a star? Or use shooting stars as a reason for hope in a wish?

I know I did. At least with shooting stars.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Sadly, I've never witnessed a shooting star so I was never able to wish upon one. But I've always dreamed about doing it though. ^^

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I did wish upon stars once upon a time. I wished for my sister. I prayed every night to the first star I saw in the sky until her announcement. I used to tell her that she only existed because of me, to keep her under some control (she would often steal my things). But as I grow older, I appreciate her more. I'm glad I have a sister, and am not an only child. We've come to an agreement of sorts. It's nice to have someone who I can trust so completely, other than my husband.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I was interested in astronomy from an early age, so I knew what shooting stars were and found them fascinating. I was too impressed that asteroids were colliding with the atmosphere at supersonic speeds and disintegrating at enormous temperatures to worry about making wishes like after blowing out birthday candles.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
So last night there was a meteor shower in the northeast sky. And it had me thinking, as a kid did you ever make wishes on a star? Or use shooting stars as a reason for hope in a wish?

I know I did. At least with shooting stars.

Nope, I have never made a wish, but I would look upon them as I slept growing up. My entire room actually was designed to glow like the night sky when darkened.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
I went out last night and watched the meteors until 3 in the morning and I made a wish for every one I saw. I know they're not really stars and all that, but I had a lot of wishes saved up, so I figure it couldn't hurt. I did it a lot as a kid, not just with shooting stars but with the first star that would appear in the evenings. Is it silly? Probably. But the stars have offered me comfort for a long time, so I dunno. It just helps.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I was interested in astronomy from an early age, so I knew what shooting stars were and found them fascinating. I was too impressed that asteroids were colliding with the atmosphere at supersonic speeds and disintegrating at enormous temperatures to worry about making wishes like after blowing out birthday candles.
Were you equally as obsessed with linguistics and chess at that age?

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Were you equally as obsessed with linguistics and chess at that age?

No, I didn't start playing chess until a few years ago.

And I became interested in linguistics after your mom told me I was good with my tongue.

You have my permission to delete this post and reprimand me fellow mods. Just couldn't resist.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
No, I didn't start playing chess until a few years ago.

And I became interested in linguistics after your mom told me I was good with my tongue.

You have my permission to delete this post and reprimand me fellow mods. Just couldn't resist.
Well, you look like odd300.

Well, you look like odd300.

e63f588aaa.jpg

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I did wish on a shooting star when I was a kid. I once saw a shooting star. One of my brothers said I couldn't make a wish because they already made one and it would get the star confused. I can't remember what I wished for. I believe it had something to do with typical kids stuff.

Sulfur16

☣ Diplomat ☣
Today was my first time seeing a shooting star, it was phenomenal. However, I do not condone the mythical accounts of magic behind a shooting star. Although, maybe the atom's in a meteorite once burned may possess enough energy to do magical things. After all, if they can take out an entire civilization, they could do anything. Only a hypothesis however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom