• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Linux

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
Beginner eh? well just in case you don't know Linux is not just one OS there are multiple distros of it some noob friendly others not so much. Seeing as how you are not sure how to install it I recommend ubuntu or linuxmint those seem to be the most user friendly and the easiest to get up and running.

as for installing all you got to do is burn the iso to a cd or make a bootable usb. A few google searches will help you figure out how to do the bootable usb.

Norm

God-King of Teh Intarwebz
Clearly in ur tube, blockin ur internets.
I know that there are many Linux distros out there, I have actually been researching the best distros to use for a few months now.

Anyways, My main problem is the hardware. The laptop I'm trying to put it on is 17 years old, it has a Pentium 1 processor, only reads CDs, runs Windows 98, and can't connect to the internet. I've picked out Legacy OS (was called TEENpup), and so I'm really looking for help on what program to use to open it at the beginning (it comes in an iso format) and just general aid in how to use it.

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
Use imgburn to burn that iso image to a cd as for using Legacy OS i have no experience with that you will probably have to search for that OS support forums somewhere

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
you don't open it, download imgburn and burn the iso to the cd. after that is done reboot your laptop and get it to boot from the disk drive it will then boot the OS and you will have the option to format and install the OS

If you tell me the specific make and model of the laptop I can try to help you figure out how to get to your boot order but in most cases it is del, f2 or f11

edit: I should mention you must press one of these keys when the computer is booting to get into the BIOS after that you should see a tab labeled boot and there is where you can change the boot order and make the cd-rom the priority

Last edited:

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
That is quite a problem

what you can do is do this same process for burning the iso on a different computer then simply booting from the cd-rom on your laptop

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom