• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Linktober 2022

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I guess this is technically a "contemporary master study". Anyway, I decided to do a study of the A Link to the Past concept art by Katsuya Terada. I got close, but there was just a lot going on with the original that I'd probably need to spent more time to try to nail down.

Rain.png

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I had a hectic morning so I didn't have time post until now.

Since OoT was my first Zelda I wanted to redo my Master Sword piece from last year that was based off pulling the sword in OoT. I hated that piece by time I was finished with it because it gave me so many issues.

I wanted to animate it because my original vision was moving blue lights and a shine moving across the sword hilt, but at the time I had no clue on where to even start. So that ambition was immedietly shot down.

Then I struggled to get the Master Sword to look decent, it's not an easy sword to draw at all. Then at some point when I was already well into the inking stage I noticed my sketch layer was merged with the ink layer, which wasn't what I wanted at all. I was so done by the end of the day, and that was also around the time I accidentely broke my tablet's pen, so it felt like the universe was telling me to just give up. I remember going into the linktober server like, I don't think I can complete Linktober this year after getting so close, and it was really emotional to me because my only goal was to just finish, I didn't have to make every piece look spectacular, if I could just finish it would be enough.

There are a few key people who talked me on that terrible week that convinced me to not give up, and I will always remember this and be grateful. Firstly, everyone here on ZD because the night my tablet pen broke I wrote about it here either in the SB or in one of the General Discussion threads, all the support here was great. @Dr. Fraxenstein made me all excited about putting a bandaid on the pen like the pencil in the doodlebob episode of Spongebob if it still worked. Status on doodlebob pencil, still works, I still have it in the fancy box the replacement pen came in, and I still like using it because of the bandaid, lol

@Pen Talked to me on discord, and that also helped a lot, he made me feel less bad about breaking the pen when I was still very heated over it. Gotta talk to Pen about the pen, lol.

These are names some of you might not know. Mimimaru is the artist I talked to the most every day throughout Linktober last year, she always gave me so much support, encouragement, and when I needed it, advice, and her advice was invaluable on the day I merged the layers of the Master Sword piece. Also Blanchedraws, the day my tablet pen broke she was hyping me up on just doing pencil sketches to finish out the month, lol.

I went on to finish the Master Sword prompt, but it took me an extra day, and I posted it so late at night on social media I was like, "there is no chance anyone will see this, today is a throw away for posting online". By some weird twist of fate, that tweet became my most popular post on any social media platform, lol.

Coming full circle a year later, I know how to animate now, I'm still only scratching the surface on how to animate, but I was at least able to nail the original vision I had with what little knowledge of animation I have now. I think this is an improvement over the original and I can finally be happy that I did what I wanted to a year ago.

Animation6.gif

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
We're so close to the end! I am getting anxious for the finish line, so I've started trying to think of ways to tackle two prompts with only one piece. Today's will also cover Day 24's dream prompt!

I wanted this to have a dreamy vibe, hopefully I captured that. I kind of like how if you zoom away with this one it looks like an almost fully rendered piece, but it's actually not polished. I didn't want to blend away all the strokes, and I kind of like how as it is, it sort of personifies a dream like state.

Marin.png

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This one I am using for today and for Horror/Fear.

I can write a whole other thread on why I think the final moments of Ocarina of Time are some of the best executed in gaming (a blog idea for the future perhaps!!!). Anyway, I feel like this moment is definitely a moment of horror and fear for Link and Zelda, and even for us as players. Ganondorf looked to be dead minutes before, he just fell multiple stories and was crushed by the rubble of his tower. Finding out he is still alive, and watching him transform into a demon is truly horrifying, it's a real nightmare scenario! To top it off, he knocks away the Master Sword and puts up a wall of flames to stop Link from crossing over to get it.

The jump scare of Ganondorf flying out from under the castle ruins definitely flustered me on my first playthrough too because as a 4 year old kid, Ganondorf was very scary.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
We're so close to the end! I am getting anxious for the finish line, so I've started trying to think of ways to tackle two prompts with only one piece. Today's will also cover Day 24's dream prompt!

I wanted this to have a dreamy vibe, hopefully I captured that. I kind of like how if you zoom away with this one it looks like an almost fully rendered piece, but it's actually not polished. I didn't want to blend away all the strokes, and I kind of like how as it is, it sort of personifies a dream like state.

Marin.png
Boop

Yeah, we're gonna have a lot more of these reused pieces throughout this week. I think fatigue is setting in, plus I want to try making a few of the final days worth of pieces really polished hopefully and I need some days this week were I won't have to do any other prompts to realistically do that.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Knocking out Music for Day 30 with this one too. All I have left is Deity, which I have a solid sketch for but I'm having trouble deciding on a color palatte for the painting. All the leaves me is to figure something out for Botanical, and I need to start working on the Free for All day because I at least have a concept on what I want to do for it.

"The Temple of Time is the entrance through which you can enter the Sacred Realm from our world. But the entrance is sealed with a stone wall called the Door of Time. And, in order to open the door, it is said that you need to collect three Spiritual Stones. And another thing you need... is the treasure that the Royal Family keeps along with this legend... The Ocarina of Time!"

20221026_093246.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom