• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Statue In Majora's Mask

Jetter

Type to myself in silence
I didn't look to see if there was a thread about this so tell an administrator if there is so he/she can get rid of this thread. So anyway after Link learns Elegy of Emptiness he turns into statue of himself. Zora is Mikau, Goron is Darmani, Deku is the butler's son(butler's son is what I personally think)or Links curse,but what is Link's statue. I really couldn't think of anything at all except if that was when he was lonely and was healed by making friends. I really want to here what you guys/gals think.:):thinking:

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
This is an interesting question. I've thought about this too, mainly because I always thought Link's statue looked rather.. freaky.. for lack of another way to describe it. I've never thought it even looked a lot like him. Is it possible that when one plays the elegy of emptiness the statue is a representation of how that person views themselves? My only real reasoning for this is because as Goron Link the statue is what Link may perceive as himself, or at least the character he is supposed to be (Darmani), and as Zora Link, same as before just with Mikau. I'm not sure what Link's statue has to do with his own view of himself because it's rather weird looking...

Nine-tailed Fox

FUS RO DAH!!!!
I've got to agree with #2. Perhaps Link doesn't think highly of himself, due to being abused by Mido his whole life. Perhaps with the other statues Link thought of himself as Darmani, Mikau, or the Butler's Son. (Or what he thought he looked like. Because he never knew that the odd tree right outside Termina was actually him.)

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
You know, I think I may be reading too much into this, but I feel that there could be two reasons for what the Link statue is supposed to mean. Actually this might reference all the statues.

1) It shows Link's inner turmoil in an empty shell. He is in a land of darkness and is subdued by many powers of evil and is struggling to stay smiling because he is a hero and smiling is what he is supposed to do. Mikau's inner turmoil is that he could not save his beloved Lulu. and stands still in a state of shock. Darmani is brave and too proud to give up, so his inner self still stands strong amongst all the odds against him. The Deku Butler's Son is in a very strange state where I can't exactly point out what I think of him. The only feeling I am getting is that this is him trying to escape from the gruesome fate that he had met.

2) It is Link being a beacon of hope. He is showing power by smiling in the face of evil and is smiling as large as he can. (The rest is the same as that above.)

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
You know, I think I may be reading too much into this, but I feel that there could be two reasons for what the Link statue is supposed to mean. Actually this might reference all the statues.

1) It shows Link's inner turmoil in an empty shell. He is in a land of darkness and is subdued by many powers of evil and is struggling to stay smiling because he is a hero and smiling is what he is supposed to do. Mikau's inner turmoil is that he could not save his beloved Lulu. and stands still in a state of shock. Darmani is brave and too proud to give up, so his inner self still stands strong amongst all the odds against him. The Deku Butler's Son is in a very strange state where I can't exactly point out what I think of him. The only feeling I am getting is that this is him trying to escape from the gruesome fate that he had met.

2) It is Link being a beacon of hope. He is showing power by smiling in the face of evil and is smiling as large as he can. (The rest is the same as that above.)

You might be reading too much into it, but I really like that explanation actually. Very interesting.

Is it possible that the Link statue was somehow an easter egg about Wind Waker? I have no idea how long it takes to make a game, an animated feature film takes about 4 years but games IDK, and while I've heard MM only took about a year, WW could have been in the works for longer. Now, still Majora's Mask was released like three years before Wind Waker, so it's likely WW was not really in production yet, or if it was it was just very preliminary, so I have no idea if they could/would put something in it to hint at the upcoming title.

I just notice how the statue has eyes shaped a bit like toon Link's, as well as no scabbard belt thing and brighter colored clothes like toon Link. And I always find it odd how the first thing people who don't know the elegy statue think of when seeing it is toon Link.

I'm probably wrong, but I thought the resemlence was worth noting at least.

In-game I have no idea. I used to think tha statue looked like a girl, maybe it's something about his inner femininity? Lol, most likely not. The eyes also remind me of the stone faces around Ikana... and the song is from Ikana, so it could have some connection to that place. After all, it's the only place you can use it.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
Ikana King in MM said:
This soldier who has no heart is your twin image. A shell of yourself that you will shed when your song commands it.
I think we're seeing a duplicate of Link - except without a soul. Consequently, he looks a little hollow and not quite "complete".

To elaborate a little, I'm not sure that this really reflects Link's inner state. It could, but I think it sort of goes against Link's "Hero" archetype. Heroes are optimistic in situations which normal people would just give up and cry. So, I guess I'm saying it's how Link would feel if Link did not possess his inner heroic self - his soul. If that makes sense... lol.

Last edited:

Escohobita

King of Those Who Know
It's a hint that the next game in the series is the Wind Waker :D...nah I don't really know but he really does look like Link's character in WW.

R

RFSMassacre

Link Might Be Dead Too

To be frank, I've noticed a trend with Elegy of Emptiness.

Break down the name and you notice it means a mournful poem or expression "elegy" and a depressed state of nothing "emptiness" which can portray an expression to the dead. Also note that you learn the song in Ikana Canyon, the land of the dead.

As you already know both Darmani and Mikau died. Darmani had a boulder slice through his stomach, and you see that scar on the statue. Mikau suffocated because of treading into unsafe murky waters, but you can assume the expression of that is there. Lastly, you have the deku statue, which controversially can stand for the Deku Butler's son.

(Remember when you start the game you see a very sad deformed tree which turns out to be the Butler's son. Shortly after you are transformed into a deku by Skull Kid. Later on when you see the Deku King, the Butler says you remind him of his son when you're in that form. Evidently, we can say that you took the form of his dead son.)

All together, you see that the three statues are of the dead. So, wouldn't that mean Link would have to be dead for a statue of himself to appear? I believe it could be either figuratively or literally.

Figuratively, it may symbolize the death of his past. Maybe it's of leaving Hyrule, or finding out he wasn't a Kokiri child.

Literally, the entire game of Majora's Mask may be an illusion all itself. My theory to explain the change between Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask is that after you defeated Ganondorf and Navi leaves, like how it says in the beginning of Majora's Mask, Link sets out to find Navi. However, remember that Link is not a Koriri kid, and whoever is not Koriri enters the Lost Wood (which is where he set off to) get lost forever. Obviously, being lost forever means you die. But my thoughts are before he died, his mind took reality and shaped it into a new setting called Termina.

You notice that there are many characters from Ocarina of Time in Majora's Mask, with the exception of new ones. I theorize that the old characters are part of Link's memories and the new character are other people who also got lost inside the Lost Woods.

To sum it up, the statues are all of people that died. I'm sorry for such a long post, but I found this thread and I just had to pour my theory here. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

@RFSMassacre: It is rare to find anyone that repudiates the fact the zora and goron statues are empty shells of the deceased Darmani and Mikau, and I am sure that most MM fans have put two and two together regarding the Deku Butler's son. I mean, come on... it's an elegy in a region whose theme is death and bloodshed. < This much is known...

The great mystery, however, lies in Link's statue: the part right before your theory branched off into Neverland. When formulating theories be sure to stay on track, and avoid wandering off from the main idea... (which in this case is LINK's statue, not the Zora's, the Goron's, and the Deku's) ;j

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom