• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Recent Voice Actors: Epic Fail?

LinkIsAwesomest

NEVER FORGET HE'S AWESOME
Alright... I might be hated for this... but I ABSOLUTLEY DESPISE LINK'S VOICE ACTORS IN THE RECENT 3D GAMES.

I'm not talking about Toon Link.... but TP, and now, ESPECIALLY SS..................no, just, no. EPIC FAIL IN MY BOOK.

I mean, seriously. If you look at Link, he obviously looks caucasian. Yet he sounds Japanese. It's like Nintendo just ignored the "cauc", just saw "asian", and decided it was perfectly normal for their caucasian hero to have a Japanese voice.

And it's not even a GOOD Japanese voice (IMO), it's a TERRIBLE ONE (IMO)!!

I think his constant grunting sounds terrible. I just can't stand it. Anyone else think it just sounds plain bad? And he's doing it ALL. THE. TIME. When TP Link climbs up some vines, I want to cover my ears. And in recent SS trailers, Link just can't seem to keep his mouth shut with all the grunting... it drives me INSANE. I think his grunting is just plain annoying. Am I the only one?

That's the only un-awesome thing about Link. I cannot stand his Japanese-sounding voice actor, and I can't stand his grunts.

HOWEVER... I LOVE Twilight Princess Link's scream!! This is random but whenever he dies, I love it because his scream is epically awesome and legendary-soundning.... I know I sound really weird and fan-girly right now but it's the truth. The one thing about his voice actor is he has the awesomest screams.

So what do you think about all this, do you like his voice actor? Do you like Link's grunting? Do you like Link's screams? Do you wish Link actually sounded caucasian instead of Japanese? Do you think the actor sounds caucasion? Do you just really not care about his voice?

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of SS Link's voice either, but I'm sure we'll get used to it after playing the game for 100 hours :)

My wife is Asian and if you talked to her on the phone I really doubt you would know she was Asian.

Also I agree with what Erebea... Link sounds like Link.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Link's VA in SS pretty sure is the same as in TP; Akira Sasanuma (the two Links sound exactly the same). And I find him to be freaking awesome. Not Nobuyuki Hiyama awesome, but a step below that. The grunting is great, it is as far as voice acting as we'll get for the time being. Whether Link is caucasian or not doesn't really matter to me. The way I see it, Link is Link no matter what voice he has. He can have the boy-ish voice he had in PH/ST, or the more manly voice in TP/SS, he'll still be Link at the core.

Link's scream in TP, if you let him melt in lava, is so horrifically awesome...that is a bad way of describing it, but it is just spine-tingling awesome! It really sounds realistic, as if someone is kidnapping him/dragging him in to a dark abyss. Hopefully those awesome screams will return in SS!

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I actually like Sasanuma-San because he makes Link sound very mature. He did an awesome job in Twilight Princess, and I believe his performance will carry over equally well in Skyward Sword. Link seems to be getting an improvement with each new voice actor assigned to him. They all portray him very well, even if through a series of grunts and yells. :)

Last edited:

LinkIsAwesomest

NEVER FORGET HE'S AWESOME
I never really have an opinion on voice actors who do nothing but grunt, to be honest. I have no problem with Link's new voice actor, nor any others, I find what their doing too limited and simple for me to judge them correctly. Also, just because Link may look Caucasian doesn't mean he is, Link is a Hylian -a fictional race. Also, you do know that Zelda is made in Japan, right?

Yeah, good point. I suppose I never really thought that the Hylian language could actually sound Japanese.

And yes, of course I know it's made in Japan! But quite a few of the characters don't sound Japanese at all.... so I find it odd that Link does... oh well.

geek4887

The Unknown
I found TP Link's voice ok. Never really matters me that he does that anyways. It's better than OoT's scream when he gets hit, where it's more of hilarious rather than epic, or heroic. He's pretty ok. But really, with a game without full cast voicing (is that how it's supposed to be said?), voice acting doesn't really bother me that much.

Ochibi

An enthusiastic nobody.
I don't notice. I'm to busy adding my own grunts and yells anyway :P ...
This.

But anyway-- Taking from what Erebea and Irishmile said, just because he may 'look' Caucasian, doesn't mean he has to 'sound' like what (whatever that may be-- American? European?) Now I wonder, do grunts have accents?
I'm an Asian myself but I was born and raised in Australia. All my friends in Aussie say that I have a slight American accent, my friends over in North America tell me a have quite a thick Australian accent, yet, my roots are from China. Either way, I have no idea what my accent is anymore.

I wouldn't care much for the Voice-actor/Seiyuu, but personally, I "like" it-- Like Thareous said, it does make
him sound more mature which Akira Sasanuma executes wonderfully. And I certainly wouldn't call it and "EPIC FAIL" if Nintendo would hire the same Seiyuu again.

Zelda's_Child

~Insert Epicness Here~
I've gotta agree with Erebea. Zelda is made in Japan, and if you've ever watched any anime, you would definetly think that they WEREN'T Japanese. It's just a Jap style to draw people looking western-ish.I personally think they've done a great job with Link's voice, and I don't really pay attention to the accent.

Also, the only game where the Hylian isn't a Japanese code is TP, so it Link should sound Japanese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom