• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Obvious Yet Unknown Skills

Link for as long as I can remember link has always somehow known how to use a sword and shield, and the various amounts of items he has had but how excatly does he know how to use them? Does he already have experience with familiar things, does he already posses the natural ability to do so, or is he somehow some genius how can master weapons in a moments notice? My personally theory on this is that he is the chosen hero. What I mean by this is that the spirit of the hero from the series knows how to use any item because he is the Goddesses trusted hero (the same goddesses who created the world, made people, and gave them wisdom). Being the Goddesses hero, the spirit of hero must be strong and courageous but also must be able to handel any weaponary to repel the evil creatures and their leaders from obtaining the Triforce. Even though Link has been protrayed to be many different things such as a child of a forest with no outside knowledge, a farmer, or just a kid enjoying his life, he somehow always knows how to use things instantaneously which is remarkable to any other ordinary living being but then again were talking about Link, the guys a child prodigy and the Goddesses chosen hero so he must already know how to use many things. Do let me know what you think on this matter, may there be another reason for his unexplicable potiential and skill?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Well, in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, it's implied Link has had prior experience with swords. In TP, (correct me if I'm wrong, my memory is a little hazy) Rusl returns Link's wooden sword to him after apparently repairing it. The key word here is "returns". This is proof that Link has had prior sword training.

In SS, when Link goes to the Sparring Hall to get a sword and talks with Eagus, the Knight Commander will say something along the lines off "Still looking to get in a bit of sword practice before the big ceremony?" This implies Link has trained there with a sword before. In fact, attending a school for knights in and of itself is further evidence that Link has prior experience. Being a knight, he'd be required to learn how to use a sword.

During the sword tutorial, Eagus also comments about how easy Link is to teach. Evidence that Link is naturally skilled. To be honest, I'm not so sure it has anything to do with Link having the spirit of the hero. Link is just an incredible person. It makes sense, too. Who better to take on the task of being a hero than a prodigy like Link?

Djinn

and Tonic
Actually a lot of times Link is taught how to handle a sword, often paired with his being given one at the end of the first session. It ALTTP it was alluded to his being previously trained. His uncle mwntions the secret technique handed down by his people. This shows that he may have trained Link some in the past before the intro of the game. In OoT Link learns from the know it all brothers in the basics of sword swinging but he still has little to no formal training. In Wind Waker he is trained by Orca, and learns a few more skills throughout the game if you go back to learn some more moves. Link learns from the blade brothers in MC, Guard Captain Russell in ST, trains with the Hero's shade in TP, and is a student of the knight academy in SS. Each of these people specifically train him in some way in the basics, then often grant him a sword afterward, beyond that he can return for more advanced techniques.

If there is a skill the is fairly unique to Link it is quick mastery of a weapon shortly after gaining it. While some may require weeks of training to become proficient with a sword, Link can pick it up in a day having trained with a master only once or twice. This goes on to other weapons as well. Link can handle a bow, longshot, grappling hook, etc with little to no training. Normally only using it once or twice to get the hang of it. Even then Link still learned some of the basics of rope swinging from Niko in WW too.

I see what you mean, oh also there was the sword training in Wind Waker on outset island which is apparent training of the sword but tell me this, what about all of his other gadetry like the bow, the hookshot (or clawshot), or the boomerang?

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I guess it's because he has been choosen by the goddesses. But, yeah, the fact that he knows this is halariously strange.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Well in most games you're told how to use the new weapon when you first pick it up. Lets assume when you read that, Link hears instructions or something.

Well in most games you're told how to use the new weapon when you first pick it up. Lets assume when you read that, Link hears instructions or something.

Interesting but I think thats only for the players sake, not really for link, but again interesting.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Interesting but I think thats only for the players sake, not really for link, but again interesting.

Yeah but for example in games like SS and OoT Fi and Navi are supposed to be the 'voice' of those explanations. While we see it as press this button to do this/that, Link would probably be being told like hold the bow like this and pull the string back release arrow etc.

Yeah but for example in games like SS and OoT Fi and Navi are supposed to be the 'voice' of those explanations. While we see it as press this button to do this/that, Link would probably be being told like hold the bow like this and pull the string back release arrow etc.

Thats very intriguing so basically the sidekick helps our hero learn how to use his various weeapons and equipments, but then again in the Wind Waker for example the King of Red lions cant exactly come into the dungeons with you and when you find a new item he doesn't tell how to use so you have to learn manually throughout the dungeon.

Wizzrobe

Mask Collector
Thats very intriguing so basically the sidekick helps our hero learn how to use his various weeapons and equipments, but then again in the Wind Waker for example the King of Red lions cant exactly come into the dungeons with you and when you find a new item he doesn't tell how to use so you have to learn manually throughout the dungeon.

Well whenever you get a new weapon in a dungeon, it is usually the thing that is required in order to beat the dungeon. So when you come to the point in the dungeon where you are required to use it in order to continue, then that is probably when Link learns how to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom