• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Loftwing

L

Lozzykins

Hey guys, (this is my first thread, wahoo!)

So anyhoo, throughout the Zelda games I've always felt a strong connection with Link's transport 'companion' (Epona, King of Red Lions...) now, is it just me, or did anyone else feel a little detached from Link's Loftwing? >.>

After the intro I felt their bond wasn't really focused on enough for me to have any attachment to it, and I was a little saddened by this! :(

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the Loftwing - I love it to bits! I just wish there was more of a story behind it. Anyone else feel the same? ...Or is it just me, haha.

Yea I think the same thing. At the beginning there is all this talk about how Link's is special but it never really feels like it. It doesn't even have a name or confirmed gender.

Feral

The Drifter
LOL, if we had control over it under the clouds imagine how much easier the entire game would have been. No more lava, quick sand and cliffs to fall into... then dowse for Zelda and fly over to her. Spiral strike ALL the enemies! Then maybe have the loftwing take a dump on Ghirahim...bird poop that size must be killer!

Yeah Yeah.. I know no birds in the dungeons and overly hot places....

I never really thought of it much but I do agree now that I do think about it. The same thing happened to Epona in Twilight Princess as well it felt like. She was injured and Illia whent to the spring to fix her up and she made a big deal out of it, however after that she's really just a transportation animal and nothing else. The King of Red Lions had a great story put into him and I was thoroughly surprised and elated when I found out that he was the Hyrule King. It added great character development to both characters and it was simply cool to know that I was riding around on the King of Red Lions.

In short, I never really thought about it, but it would've been cool to get to know the loftwing a little bit better. Maybe Link and Zelda's loftwing could fall in love :)?

I agree, They took the time during the opening of the game to indicate that "Links crimson loftwing is special yada-yada" but they don't really touch upon that again in the game, it's obviously something due to Link being Hylia's chosen knight but they just leave it alone after talking about it!

Nice observation TheBlueReptile :D

Byrne

Waterloo
I agree. I find it annoying not to have a helper you can use for transportation, like KoRL or midna.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
there was a slight connection at the start but when it got to the point where all the Loftwing was there for was to take you from A to B, the connection didn't last

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
It has already been stated many times, but I also agree that I felt kind of detached from the "special" loftwing. If it would have been more a part of the story, (king of the red lions for example) then it would have felt more exciting to fly on the loftwing. Plus, you didn't even get to name it!

Well, I don't agree completely, but I still agree. Anyway, I love flying, but I understand what you mean. when talking about the connection with your transport I would say

KoRL > Epona OoT/MM > Loftwing > Epona TP

why I dont include other transports? you can see what games I have played in my signature (pssst, I have not played any DS game :( )

But I am one of the people who thinks Links Loftwing was a connection for the Hylian shield, you know, because of the color, and adding to that, at the beginning it is explained how they are guardian birds, (etc)

Maybe the "special loftwing" thing its because no other loftwing would have been able to do what this one did for link, with all those moves and fighting monsters, you know what I mean

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
It wasn't just Link's Loftwing. Gaepora stated that each resident of Skyloft was only one half of a whole (with that other part being the Loftwing), and yet none of the Loftwings are ever given a name. None of them.

That said, the Loftwings seem to have an unconditional love to their human counterparts, so maybe there's no need for a name.

(By the way, Zelda's Loftwing is male. In the beginning of the game, when she's treating her Loftwing after saving Link, if you talk to her, she'll say that she has to make sure that "he [her Loftwing] isn't hurt." Link's Loftwing is also male; Zelda has stated his gender multiple times in the beginning of the game.)

For me, personally, I love my Loftwing to death. <3 Although the game never stresses the relationship between Skyloftian and Loftwing too much after the initial parts in the storyline, I'm always projecting myself through Link, as if I'm really him. So as someone who's grown up in Skyloft and has a second half, I feel as if the Crimson Loftwing and Link are one and the same. :)

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Yeah, I pretty much agree. They say that your Loftwing is special because it's a rare breed, but that's as far as they go. Sure, it is one of the most elite because it learns the spiral dash, but still nothing else. Really though, with the exception of the King of the Red Lions, they really have no true purpose other than to transport, but I still felt more detatched to it than Epona and KotRL.

ZeldaTheories

Zelda Theories
I actually felt the same way! I didn't get to notice it until later in the game, (Until The 3rd temple to be more precise) because I thought that there was going to be another side quest involving your bird, just like the 1st one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom