• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Lighter

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I was just thinking, how does link light his bombs? does he have a lighter or does he just whip em out so fast they ignite?

what do you guys think?

Well, I'm assuming you don't want the boring ol' "it's a video-game" answer, so here's my opinion. The tip of the fuse on each bomb has a special substance on it much like that on the head of a match. The inside of the bomb-bag, right near the opening in the top, is very rough, and so when Link pulls out a bomb, the tip of the fuse strikes the rough part of the bag, and viola, we have fire.

Of course, that also raises the question of how he pulls the bombs out of his bag so fast, and without the aforementioned bag anywhere in sight. But then, that wasn't the question :P

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, I'm assuming you don't want the boring ol' "it's a video-game" answer, so here's my opinion. The tip of the fuse on each bomb has a special substance on it much like that on the head of a match. The inside of the bomb-bag, right near the opening in the top, is very rough, and so when Link pulls out a bomb, the tip of the fuse strikes the rough part of the bag, and viola, we have fire.

Of course, that also raises the question of how he pulls the bombs out of his bag so fast, and without the aforementioned bag anywhere in sight. But then, that wasn't the question :P

So basically you're saying the tip of the bomb is like a match head? Well if that's the case then it's a chemical reacation that causes the fuse to ignite and unless the top of the bomb bag has the chemical that completes this reaction (if they're 'safe' bombs if not then the rough surface would simply be enough). My answer is that the bombs are 'magic' and the fuse ignites on contact with air.

My answer is that the bombs are 'magic' and the fuse ignites on contact with air.

That would also involve a chemical reaction....and no, Matches do not need a chemical reaction to ignite by striking them quickly along a rough surface, Just enough friction to cause the substance to heat up and set fire.

I'm not sure, It could be a number a number of things, I just don't think it is that it sets on fire from reacting with something in the air. I'm leaning towards to the match like substance and the striking area along the top of Links Bomb Bag.

Last edited:

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
That would also involve a chemical reaction....and no, Matches do not need a chemical reaction to ignite by striking them quickly along a rough surface, Just enough friction to cause the substance to heat up and set fire.

That's what magic was meant to mean. Also matches do need a chemical reaction to ignite. It needs two chemicals and friction to cause heat and thus you have a very small torch. Just try looking up the science of matches and you'll find it to be true. But not on wikipedia. It's a terrible site.

That's what magic was meant to mean. Also matches do need a chemical reaction to ignite. It needs two chemicals and friction to cause heat and thus you have a very small torch. Just try looking up the science of matches and you'll find it to be true. But not on wikipedia. It's a terrible site.

Magic and Chemical Reactions are two very different things.

They have a chemical reaction yes....within the substance on the match, not between the surface that the match is struck on. The only match I know of that needs a sulphur on the striking surface is a safety match. I'm pretty sure you could set a match on fire by striking it on any surface that has the same properties as what you'd find on a match box.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
of course science is acceptable in zelda ex barnes the bomb maker, the observatory guy and the the lake hylia laboratory. there are others im sure.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I think it's because it's a videogame and people would get annoyed if every time they pulled out a bomb there was a cut scene were Link pulls out his bag, grabs a bomb, grabs a match, lights the match and then lights the bomb fuse.

This isn't a mystery. It's just a videogame. No offense, but it annoys me when people try to get an answer to something that has no evidence or theory or reason behind it. It's one thing to discuss mysteries such as why the Picori disappear or why the Deku disappear but it's another to ask something along the lines of how can Link carry all of his items.

It has no answer except it's a videogame.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
of course science is acceptable in zelda ex barnes the bomb maker, the observatory guy and the the lake hylia laboratory. there are others im sure.

True there were some that studied science. No question/argument there. But it generally wasn't accepted. Also did you see Barnes say somewhere or imply something that bomb-making was science? Nope. The Lakeside Laboratory was indeed science but the scientist that ran the place was obviously insane but knew what he was doing. And also I don't know who the observatory guy was so I can't accuratly answer that.

True there were some that studied science. No question/argument there. But it generally wasn't accepted. Also did you see Barnes say somewhere or imply something that bomb-making was science? Nope. The Lakeside Laboratory was indeed science but the scientist that ran the place was obviously insane but knew what he was doing. And also I don't know who the observatory guy was so I can't accuratly answer that.

It doesn't make a difference if it generally wasn't accepted during those times, People still did it. No matter what they called it is still science, If I got several people to call a Poodle a Greyhound would it therefore be a Greyhound? I think not....

The Observatory guy was an old Astronomer of sorts, He had a large telescope in which you could look at objects in space with. That is science also.

linkman8

True and Noble
Hm, an interesting explanation with the "match-head" tip on the bomb's fuse. Typically I'd go with the "it's a video game, it doesn't have to make complete sense" approach, but sometimes I feel videos games should make sense.
I'm going to stick with the invention of nitroglycerin, just for fun.

Kybyrian

Of course we all know how boring the "it's a video game" answer is, like blackice said, but here's my theory. There's absolutely no way for Link to light his bomb. We as Zelda fans can be imaginative but seeing as how the match thing would be the best of my ideas I figured that I'd just say this. There never was a way to ignite the bombs, they just kind of did. Whether it be magic or just nothing, simply trying to get the game moving faster than having Link go through some silly process of igniting the bomb every time, we shouldn't really argue over. :)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
It doesn't make a difference if it generally wasn't accepted during those times, People still did it. No matter what they called it is still science, If I got several people to call a Poodle a Greyhound would it therefore be a Greyhound? I think not....

The Observatory guy was an old Astronomer of sorts, He had a large telescope in which you could look at objects in space with. That is science also.

Did you see the quotations around magic in my first post on this thread? Or did you ignore them? The quotations were supposed to mean that it was science but people called it magic. Dang.... well I still think the whole chemical reaction with the air thing is what it was. After all mideval/ancient people were no dummies. They invented a lot of things we use today such as fire. And also there are some things people did in the past that we couldn't do with todays technology like the pyramids. WE could make them but noot as fast as the egyptians did. So it's plausible that the hylians could've made bombs that had fuses to ignite on contact with the air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom