• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Links Last Name?

I like to think that because Link's usually an orphan, he's just Link. Last names don't seem to fit. Unless Link itself is his last name. Or a nickname or something.

Link's Last Name?

So we all obviously know Link's first name, but what would his last name be if he had one? Since Link lives in Hyrule, a kingdom that is partly rooted in medieval culture I think his last name would be Hero. And here's why: In medieval society a person was named after a geographical location, occupation, or animal. So if you lived near a river, your last name would be River. If you were a miller your last name was Miller. And if you had the personality of a fox (sly,sneaky) then your last name would be Fox. In every Zelda game Link is a hero therefore he is Link Hero. And correct me if I'm wrong but hero is an actual last name so yeah:). What are your thoughts on this? What do you think Link's name would be?

Last edited:

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
Video games don't take anything into consideration. If Nintendo ever announced Link's last name it would probably be something like Hagopian. I know that Zelda's last name is Hyrule so it can't be that..but If he had to have one..I don't know actually, Hero would be okay I guess.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
It's true medieval names tend be based on things like hometowns or occupations but I don't think Link really has a last name. The majority of characters throughout Zelda don't seem to have last names so it just seemed to me that they weren't a very common thing or were only used by people of a certain standing.

The only last name that I remember off the top of my head is Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule, the king from Wind Waker, which supports the medieval naming conventions since the king of Hyrule is named for Hyrule.

Honestly, yeah. I don't think it's likely for Link's last name to be hero.. because usually in the story, Link doesn't really know he's the Chosen Hero until he's told. :p but yeah, I think either he doesn't have one, or it's a secret that probably isn't a huge deal to know.

Well, first of all the characters name is Link to portray the link between character and player.

So if Link had a last name then it would probably end up being whatever last name of the player playing it.

Ocarina of Time as a side comment the guard calls Link "Mr. Hero." That was probably just a joke though.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Ocarina of Time as a side comment the guard calls Link "Mr. Hero." That was probably just a joke though.

Yea it is, he just calls him "Mr. Hero" because Zelda writes that Link is a hero on a quest that she sent him on. He thinks it's a game that she plays and he thinks it's funny, therefore he calls Link "Mr. Hero".
Also when Link brings him the keaton mask, he says "You are truly a Mr. Hero, haha" or something like that, because his son wanted a mask like that and you brought one to him since he couldn't abandon his post to go buy one.

I like to think that Link is last name-less. Because that just gives it less of a "you are the player, enter your name or Link's if you want" feeling in all Zelda games.

So, even if there is a last name, I'll tend to ignore it. :)

Since Link is meant to represent the player and not to be a single character in and of himself, he doesn't really need a last name. He only has a first name for brand recognition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom