• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Links Last Name?

Only in two games did Link have family (wasn't a complete orphan): alttp and WW (though grandma in WW is NO help at all) so you may wish to Alttp for some answers for a few 'Links'

Perhaps "Link son of Smith" would work for aLttP, since his parents were great swordsman. Often people in medieval times may have been addressed by their passed duties/roles/families, such as Arther from the House of ____. Though in that sense perhaps Link of Hyrule, or the House of Hyrule, or better yet the Champion of Hyrule would be more reasonable as a proper address (such as Cuchulain of Muirthemne, or Cuchulain the Champion of Ireland).

Uncle: "Your parents were Knights of Hyrule... But they stumbled into the Dark World... You will never be able to enter the Dark World and find your parents! [...] They dwell now in the Dark World... After they disappeared, your uncle adopted you and shielded you from the intrigues of the Royal Family..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 14)

Linkwolf

Worship the Strangeness
If Link HAD to have a last name.. It would have to be Madina because it sounds kinda like Majora and Midna who help him. It also sounds mysterious, like the character is.

I don't think he needs a last name ~really~

"In Park" :D someone likely already said that, but I had a kid out of it the first time I heard that.

It depends on which game that he appears in. For example, I'd say that his name in Ocarina of Time would probably be none-existent, as he was an orphan after all or something along the lines of "Link of the Kokiri," as it shows which tribe/race that he's affiliated with. If such is the case, I would imagine that other games might follow a similar convention.

Only in two games did Link have family (wasn't a complete orphan): alttp and WW (though grandma in WW is NO help at all) so you may wish to Alttp for some answers for a few 'Links'

Perhaps "Link son of Smith" would work for aLttP, since his parents were great swordsman. Often people in medieval times may have been addressed by their passed duties/roles/families, such as Arther from the House of ____. Though in that sense perhaps Link of Hyrule, or the House of Hyrule, or better yet the Champion of Hyrule would be more reasonable as a proper address (such as Cuchulain of Muirthemne, or Cuchulain the Champion of Ireland).

Uncle: "Your parents were Knights of Hyrule... But they stumbled into the Dark World... You will never be able to enter the Dark World and find your parents! [...] They dwell now in the Dark World... After they disappeared, your uncle adopted you and shielded you from the intrigues of the Royal Family..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 14)

You've got the idea I had, but I think it would depend on the game. For example, in TWW it would be Link of Outset, while in TP it would Link of Ordon. He shouldn't really have a last name. He is supposed to be the "link" between the player and the game, after all. Let's go with this: Link's last name is the last name of whoever is playing the game.
:P

In many titles, they never mention his parents. In these games, I tend to picture him as an orphan who doesn't know his last name, raising himself. But that's me.

Gemquarry

The Inquirer
Hm, I'd say...Hero! Link Hero! either that, or hyrule, or Saver, or, somthing like that :/

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Link Linkson. No, I dont think he could ever have a last name it just doesn't fit. Plus the mideival setting eliminates the need for a lastname. though i did find it funny how everyone just knows him as Link

You've got the idea I had, but I think it would depend on the game. For example, in TWW it would be Link of Outset, while in TP it would Link of Ordon. He shouldn't really have a last name. He is supposed to be the "link" between the player and the game, after all. Let's go with this: Link's last name is the last name of whoever is playing the game.
:P

Yup! I agree with you KogamoSJS! It certanly depends of the game and the region.
I think that is the real reason Link has no last name, because he's suppose to be 'you, the player,' but I always names him Link when I play - it feels strange to do otherwise. maybe we should be happy 'Link' has a name at all? lol.

In many titles, they never mention his parents. In these games, I tend to picture him as an orphan who doesn't know his last name, raising himself. But that's me.

In honesty for many of the games (esp Oot/MM) I pictured the same thing! But it others, such as alttp & WW when he has family that would not apply - maybe not in TP either, assuming he was raised in Ordon and the people there at least knew enough about him to know of his parents or where he came from.

I think it adds a certain ruggish character to not know your own last name, nor perhaps care. He would go on to not need one and might even create another persona through that, if you want to go deep with things. A few stories involve orphan boys with no last names, just the region they are from or what they become famous for as an added distinguish in title.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom