• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Link's Hair

This is a bit of a question directly from me, but does anyone else find it mildly annoying that Link's hair isn't pink?

Now, I know that there are a lot of reasons why his hair would be brown. This could be a different Link, artwork shows his hair as being brown-ish, etc., but what I'm getting at is that his hair is pink in-game in aLttP (and I assume that this game will take place shortly after the events of aLttP). A common reason that I've heard for this is that they wanted him to stick out from the background more (they obviously could have made his hair brown, but having the colour every other screen probably would make him blend in). All of these are viable reasons for his hair colour and you can argue one way or the other as long as you like, but I want to make it clear that I'm not going to debate any of these points. I just want your opinions.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
There's a couple reasons why his hair is brown. For one thing, his character model is based off the official artwork of ALttP, in which his hair was a golden-brown colour, the same colour as the ALttP2 trailer. Also, his hair, as you said, was only pink in ALttP so he sticks out more. The SNES had a limited colour palette, and brown hair would have blended in with the surroundings. His hair was never intended to be pink in colour, just his sprite.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I find it really annoying that his hair is not pink, but I know the reason why it WAS pink and besides...pink hair isn't really ATTRACTIVE. It stands out, sure, but people won't flock to him saying "omg I want to be that sexy pink haired MFer!!!". Brown/golden-brown is much more attractive.

Mido

Version 1
You know, I never realized why Link's sprite had pink hair, or was it just part of his hat? I know the game art design had a more brownish hair color. I just wonder....

ILU

i luv u
There's a couple reasons why his hair is brown. For one thing, his character model is based off the official artwork of ALttP, in which his hair was a golden-brown colour, the same colour as the ALttP2 trailer. Also, his hair, as you said, was only pink in ALttP so he sticks out more. The SNES had a limited colour palette, and brown hair would have blended in with the surroundings. His hair was never intended to be pink in colour, just his sprite.

While this is true, I still am le big disappoint that his hair isn't pink. I get why it isn't, but I think it'd have been really cool if Nintendo had made it so that it WAS pink. Only true fans (and/or older gamers) would get it, and we could snicker at the noobs questioning the hair color. But pink hair on a boy in a tunic won't sell very well. *le sigh*

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Only true fans (and/or older gamers) would get it, and we could snicker at the noobs questioning the hair color. But pink hair on a boy in a tunic won't sell very well

I hate that phrase true fans. Its just a way to signal people out and rise your self up.

Link's hair color dose not matter to me it could be blue it could be a rainbow.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
if link were to have pink hair in this game, it would be the most ridiculous thing ever, i never noticed it was pink really i thought it was their attempt to make it look a brownish color, but i think his hare should be gold in the defeated timeline due to him not being blood of the hero, but somehow through his courage as a person, the gods chose him to have the spirit of the hero. i know his hair in OoT was blond, but i was a blond and now i have brown hair now that im older, which is why i dont see how TP fits in the Child timeline considering he older than Link in the WW trilogy!

But those are just my thoughts.

Salem

SICK
Have the creators of alttp ever commented on his pink hair to begin with? Its still not clear why his hair was pink in the original game, I don't entirely buy the colour palette thing.

I liked his hair pink. I am well aware it was a color palette issue involving an attempt to make his hairstrawberry-blonde, but honestly, the rim of his cap (golden-yellow... or dandelion in Crayola terms :bleh:) is waaay to similar to his hair. On an artistic standpoint, the pinkish hair really looks great.

Nintendo should at least make a Link model sporting the precise color palette of Link from A Link to the Past--and do something like they did in New! Super Mario Bros. where if you held down R and L buttons upon loading a file, you could play as Luigi. Except... I'd rather just do that once when creating the file. Call it an easter egg!

And... if they are going by the artwork (as someone mentioned earlier), tell me why the hilt of the supposed "Master Sword" is blue? I liked its red hilt, give me its red hilt! Nintendo, if you're intending to feed the fans, do it right! Dx

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nintendo, if you're intending to feed the fans, do it right! Dx

I like this bit, but you should know that Nintendo is feeding the flames, not the fans. They very well know that going either route is going to piss some fans off, so they're just running with the current model. Yeah, it's kind of whack to be mad at the lack of PINK hair considering it was a color palette issue, but you know us rabid Zelda fans :rolleyes:

In any case, I'm not particularly mad if they go one way or the other.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i just think if like were to have PINK hair, it would just be goofy. in the SNES days, it didnt look pink to me at all really! as far as this comment

Nintendo should at least make a Link model sporting the precise color palette of Link from A Link to the Past--and do something like they did in New! Super Mario Bros. where if you held down R and L buttons upon loading a file, you could play as Luigi. Except... I'd rather just do that once when creating the file. Call it an easter egg!

why did i not know this, that is freakin awesome, im gonna go play that now!

There is absolutely no reason why Link should have pink hair on the 3DS. The lack of it is already a massive improvement over the first game, in my humble opinion.

Still, I can understand why some people might miss it due to nostalgia for the first game.

Y'know there are some things that I don't like about Nintendo's "nostalgia" route. Like, I get that they're trying to cater to the fans of old but I think in a sense it's not letting the fans really move on to the new style of Zelda. The new route it needs to go. The changes that need to be made. What I'm getting at with this is that, people shouldn't want the old things back but embrace the new: acknowledging that Link's hair was that way since they needed him to pop out of the background.

Skittles

Rainbows!
The pink hair was awfully cute, really and it matched with that Link turning into a bunny in the Shadow World too. Such a sweat-hearted boy, it made sense from even a story-telling perspective. Much like Link's feral eyes in TP which matched him with the Wolf within. Even though the pink hair was intentional (at the start) it still works, if you think about it. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom