• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Grandmother?

Is she really only his grandmother? It seems to me that since she is an old, darker-skinned, white-haired woman she could possibly be Impa chosen by the goddesses to stay and watch over the young one who was destined to be a here of Hyrule. Only she got too used to being a grandmother so that she forgot her role especially when Link started his quest as the Wind Waker.

Last edited:

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
That would seem a plausible answer. She looks kind of like impaz in TP. I wouldn't doubt it, because link seems to have a connection through the ages with the shiekah.

I don't think Link's grandma is Impa, because that was never established. Therefore, it is currently untrue. Besides, Impa has historically been Zelda's caretaker. I doubt her character's role would ever be switched like that.

You mean in Wind Waker? I'm pretty sure she is. Seems like a rather odd and esoteric question.

↑ I agree. :yes:

Your (the OP's) theory seems a bit random, but I see what you're getting at. Although, I'm pretty sure that the old woman is truly Link's grandmother. There's nothing in The Wind Waker to hint otherwise; likewise, there is nothing that hints that she is Impa. Sure, Nintendo has been known to be incredibly vague and unclear about this sort of thing, but I'm sure this isn't the case with Link's grandmother's identity.

On the other hand, IF it were indeed true, then, why can't she simply be both...as in Link's grandmother and Impa? Impa is known to be reincarnated along with Link and Zelda in most titles. That said, who's to say she can't be reincarnated into Link's grandmother? However, as I said in my previous paragraph, this is more than likely not the case.

If anything, she is probably a reference to the "Old Woman" that appears in some games in the series. Moreover, the Old Woman has been revealed to be none other than Impa in some of the games that she's appeared in. So in a nutshell, I guess we could conclude that Link's grandmother may be a [small] reference to Impa...

Is she really only his grandmother? It seems to me that since she is an old, darker-skinned, white-haired woman she could possibly be Impa chosen by the goddesses to stay and watch over the young one who was destined to be a here of Hyrule. Only she got too used to being a grandmother so that she forgot her role especially when Link started his quest as the Wind Waker.

The problem I see, is that WW-Link never was chosen by the godesses to be the hero. He was a normal boy who just wanted to save his sister. That's also the reason why he has to prove himself worthy to wield the master sword unlike any other Link.

Now that you mention it, Impa from SS and Links Grandmother do seem quite similar in appearance.

Doubtful. I mean, of course, they'd share similar appearance when one considers that they're both old. They both share the typical traits of an old woman that is seen in many video games, movies, and other media; that in itself is not sufficient in drawing a connection. What I think is more certain is that they are just allusions to the series' recurring "old woman" character, albeit with varying roles - sometimes the "old woman" is important, other times she's not. If anything, the only connection that exists between Link's grandmother and Impa is aesthetic-wise, nothing more...

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The problem I see, is that WW-Link never was chosen by the godesses to be the hero. He was a normal boy who just wanted to save his sister. That's also the reason why he has to prove himself worthy to wield the master sword unlike any other Link.
I think you have forgotten the trial by the Gods. Only the true hero could finish the trial and Link did. And what did the King say? Link was chosen to be the one.

I highly doubt Link's grandmother is related to the Sheikah. I think it is just the way they created her. I don't see any connection between her and Impa. The hairdo is just a style many old women have or used to have. I really think this is just a coincidence. I mean Pipit looks like Link buit in yellow so is he Link's brother too? Of course not. It is just the style of the graphics and nothing more.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Certain scenes and phrases throughout the game indicate that the Link of WW is not the Hero of Legend nor is he related. Rather than being chosen as the hero he is accepted following his bravery to rescue his sister
This scene demonstrates this nicely

It is not about him being THE Hero but as A hero and he clearly was A hero. Of course he went after his sister to rescue her and stumbled upon Tetra. But further in the story you learn he is the only one who could defeat Ganondorf. If he wasn't chosen he couldn't have defeated Ganondorf

But back to topic: there is no evidence Link's grandmother and the sheikah are related. I don't think it is. Coincidence or not there is no evidence.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
That is because people always go deeper into things which is only good of course. I mean a good discussion is what our forum need. Yes I remember that topic. It has been a while. But that was actually the same with OoT Link. He didn't wake up with a triforce sign on his hand either. When the game progressed we found out he was the chosen hero. Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't wake up with a sign on his hand either as far as I recall.

Not picking on you in particular Wolf, but this attitude has been far too common lately and killed off too many theory threads. I'd appreciate it if people were a little more open minded about things like this rather than being too quick to snub it off as coincidence or trivial

You have not been around on here for very long, so I'll just let you know that I am one of the most open minded persons on this site. This can even be seen in my previous post where I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt, added to his theory, and offered a bit of alternatives to his theory as well. I think it's one thing to be open-minded, but another to pretend there's something more to something when there isn't. I'm sorry if it kills off theories and whatnot, but I don't have it in me to pretend there's something more to something when there isn't...

After looking into it, I've come to find that there is not much to go on regarding Link's grandmother other than the fact that she's Link's grandmother. There wasn't even the slightest hint otherwise, and if there were, you'd think something would have come up by now (via Hyrule Historia, etc.) considering how long ago since The Wind Waker came out. Sure, there was a few in-game tidbits about her past, such as her exploits with the photographer Lenzo, but that's about it. "If anything, the only connection that exists between Link's grandmother and Impa is aesthetic-wise, nothing more..." was what I came up with after having given the OP the benefit of the doubt and looked into it.

Emboldened below are the buzzwords that show that I gave the OP's theory a chance and read into it (in my previous post). After having done that, I simply offered my two cents:

Your (the OP's) theory seems a bit random, but I see what you're getting at. Although, I'm pretty sure that the old woman is truly Link's grandmother. There's nothing in The Wind Waker to hint otherwise; likewise, there is nothing that hints that she is Impa. Sure, Nintendo has been known to be incredibly vague and unclear about this sort of thing, but I'm sure this isn't the case with Link's grandmother's identity.

On the other hand, IF it were indeed true, then, why can't she simply be both...as in Link's grandmother and Impa? Impa is known to be reincarnated along with Link and Zelda in most titles. That said, who's to say she can't be reincarnated into Link's grandmother? However, as I said in my previous paragraph, this is more than likely not the case.

If anything, she is probably a reference to the "Old Woman" that appears in some games in the series. Moreover, the Old Woman has been revealed to be none other than Impa in some of the games that she's appeared in. So in a nutshell, I guess we could conclude that Link's grandmother may be a [small] reference to Impa...

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
While nothing like this has been confirmed it actually does make sense to me.
SPOILER ALERT

In the end of SS you know that (if you played SS) Demise cursed Link an Zelda and his hatred would come back in a cycle. With this, Nintendo confirmed that all links and zeldas are from the same bloodline, WITH THE EXCEPTION of the Link om WW.

Maybe the gods knew that this boy was meant to be the chosen hero, but since he wasn't in the same bloodline as the other heroes, the gods had their doubts. To protect him and raise him well they couldve sent an agent to be his "grandmother". You never know, it could be possible

I'm not going to say Link's grandmother is Impa reincarnated, but there may be more to her past than what has been revealed. The hero's shield hanging on the wall, when you obtain it states that it may have been used by the original hero himself. If that is indeed true, then the family line would have to have some connection with, possibly, the Royal Family of the past generations.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
In the end of SS you know that (if you played SS) Demise cursed Link an Zelda and his hatred would come back in a cycle. With this, Nintendo confirmed that all links and zeldas are from the same bloodline, WITH THE EXCEPTION of the Link om WW.
This isn't entirely true. Links were not confirmed to be of the same bloodline (in fact, as you stated with WW-Link, they are not), but they share the "spirit of the hero" - a phrase which is up for interpretation. While Zelda's bloodline is important (due to Hylia, the Light Force, etc.), Link is usually, with the exception of LttP and possibly TP, just a boy who possesses heroic traits - the "spirit of the hero". Of course, as I said, that could be interpreted differently. But then, if it really is some loose form of reincarnation, then it would also apply to WW-Link. After all, we only know that he isn't related to the HoT by blood, and we can assume that Demise's curse/prophecy applies to all Links.

tl;dr: I don't think WW-Link not being related by blood matters.

H

Huskersrule2007

I understand what he is saying but it seems very unlikely Nintendo was thinking this at all at the time but hey its Nintendo who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom