• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Link's Gender

I still fail to see any real examples of how Link would be treated any different depending on his gender. There are no instances where he would be treated different, and no instances where is gender is a pivotal part of any legend.

ihateghirahim if you can find me an example in-game of where being a male is necessary and cannot be changed without completely throwing a wrench in the works, then I'll reconsider my position. Please find me one.

Their not in-game every reason we can't change Link's gender is in the real world. You can't do that just because it already is. They could have done it back before the 3-D games but since OoT Link has become well-known as he is. Just like Mario is a well-known plumber, Donkey Kong is a well-known gorilla, Samus is a well known space bounty hunter. It's like asking why can't Mario be a teacher, and Donkey Kong an actual donkey and Samus a 19th century swashbuckler (actual that sounds kinda interesting). And yes, technically speaking you could do all these things and release them but is watching second graders gonna feel like a Mario game? Is roaming through the jungles as a wild donkey gonna feel like playing donkey Kong? and is preventing scurvy while taking down pirate-ships for booty gonna feel like playing metroid? (I'm sorry, I think I'm getting a little excited from the announcement of AC4) It's not the games it's Link's identity. I can't think of an easier way to explain it other than asking the same question about other series with well-established characters.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
The problem with what you're saying there is that Link's gender defines him, which is not the case. He's a hero in a loosely-medieval World who runs around with a sword and a silly hat, proving his courage to save the Princess and the Kingdom. His gender is inconsequential, and frankly since his OoT appearance he's looked more like the girls than the boys. A better counter would be making DK a woman, or making Samus a man. What does it change? It changes how we view them, and that's really it. If Donkey Kong was a female gorilla throwing barrels at Mario as he attempted to get his girl back would suddenly be 'jealous and moody' and 'making a stereotype of less pretty women'. If Samus was male the role would suddenly be 'generic' and 'no different from a futuristic Castlevania'.

Link being female could have worked in previous titles, and would have made for some interesting plot twists (LttP specifically). In several titles his gender hardly even enters the equation. If 'we expect it now' is really the reason people don't consider this change... then it's no wonder the Mario titles have gotten so stale, to be frank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom