• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Family Having Relevance

The last time we saw Link having any blood relative was The Minish Cap, with his grandfather. However, after Link goes on his quest, that's all there is to him unless you find the right Kinstone.

Now, it's find with me that Link's parents are unnamed and never appear since that seems to be the only thing all Links have in common, but I like to see more of his family when the developers decide to introduce them. But you'll notice after some plot important moment, they cease having relevance in the game. Aryll completely disappears until the end credits after she's save, which bums me out because rescuing her was Link's original goal in The Wind Waker.

Now I know people still debate whether Link should be a character in his own right or just a self-insert character, but I think that having a family would add to this, showing how Link would interact with them. But also, I feel like his family could play a more active role in the game outside of story moments.

Examples?

Instead of leaving, Aryll could be the one who assemble an obstacle course of some kind for Link to test out his skills when he gets a new weapon or sword skill.

The house he sleeps in? Belongs to his uncle or grandparents.

Sidequests for getting more money, heart pieces or some other collectible? Family could give out these quests.

Upgrading weapons ala Skyward Sword? Link could go to an uncle/cousin.

Heck, if the game follows a similar plot Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess and Link visit Hyrule Castle Town, he might end up meeting family there akin to an episode of The Legend of Korra where Mako and Bolin meet their father's family, including their uncle, cousin and grandmother. The family could be Link's allies to help him finding locations of dungeons and plot important sequences like the group of Twilight Princess.

It's always kind of bugged me that when Link has family they're barely important after a while. Personally, I'd like to see his kin doing more than just existing. Anyone else agree?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
yes and no.

Yes it could work, but I feel like even though he doesn't exactly have family, in a game like TP, Rusl and everyone are his family, so I feel like we already have that goal

I kinda feel like you're a bit off about Wind Waker. Aryll continues to write letters to you about her experiences aboard Tetra's ship, and you can come back home to talk to your grandmother, heal her, and then get soup. They're still pretty present in that game.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
In BotW Master Works, we see concept art of Link with his sister and father. Too bad they both died in the calamity. I want Link to have more character to him, which can easily come in the form of interactions with others. I wouldn't be opposed to his sister becoming his partner and helping him. Seeing more involvement from supporting characters in general is something I want to see more, adventures are always better with more people. It'd be cool for his family to be more directly involved in his adventures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom