• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Links Cloak Deserves Its Own Thread, Right?

The cloak has been a point of discussion, mainly because of its pattern. It's not that easy to classify it and this is really interesting in my opinion.

The other thing that tickles my brain is, is that this cloak could be the nearest thing to a return of the mask system from Majora's Mask we could get for a sequel. I am really hoping for this cloak (and maybe more cloaks/outfits) to be part of the actual game play. I liked the different kind of reactions from NPCs, depending on the players costumes.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I am a firm believer that Links classic green tunic and hat will be featured in the game, but there is a slight possibility that this green cloak could replace it (if the tunic were not to appear that is).

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I am a firm believer that Links classic green tunic and hat will be featured in the game, but there is a slight possibility that this green cloak could replace it (if the tunic were not to appear that is).

zelda_wiiu_style11.jpg

The cloak is not green, it's black.

The mechanical monster in the trailer seems to be hunting Link. Those other persons in the trailer don't get its attention. Either Links cloak doesn't work out this time as a way of being incognito, or he put on the cloak intentionally to get the monsters attention.
Link could be the hunter in this scenario. It's not even a suicide commando, because he has the special arrow (GameExplain figured this one out), which is probably the only weapon doing actual damage to this monster.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
As you can see from a distance it has some a green tint to it. Its not black.
2xf5XeH.png

I still see no green on that cloak whatsoever. I admit, when I first saw that cloak, I thought it green too but when I looked it didn't look green at all, it was black. From what I can tell, his cloak IS actually black but the shading creates an illusion as if the cloak is green it's not cause if you look closer, you can clearly tell the color of the cloak is actually black not green.

There are at least three farmers in the trailer alongside with several goats. Everyone runs away, the second the monster awakes. But Link (or the identity that the cloak indicates) seems to be the only one (or thing), that gets its attention.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I'm sure we'll see the return of the green tunic and hat. I get the impression that this scene depicts what Link may be wearing near the start of the game. Maybe in this setting, Link takes on the role of a lookout/protector/hunter in his village. Maybe the cloak is simply there to shade him from the elements, like extreme heat or wind. Plus, it gave him a pretty cool reveal in the trailer when he takes it off.
It does have an interesting pattern on it though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Fig

The Altruist
I don't think that the cloak that Link was wearing in the trailer would even a sort of purpose similar to the mask system. I think you are over analyzing on just a piece of clothing that Link just wore and removed from himself where in Majora's Mask, he merely takes off masks or switches between them. I think the cloak that Link was wearing was simply meant to keep him hidden from enemies or villains. The cloak probably is just to establish Link's origins in this game as the symbols in the back of the piece of clothing show to resemble some form of emblem or design that revolves around Link being a hunter of some sorts. This is most likely going to take place very early in the game much with every Zelda game that Link doesn't start out wearing the tradition green tunic and hat. Games such as Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword all start out with Link without his famous green tunic and hat, so it's safe to assume that his hero clothes will return no matter what. I don't think Link's cloak will have much importance throughout the game as we see him easily get rid of as he fights the creature. If it were really valuable he would stay worn the cloak but take off the hoodie to reveal his face. All in all, I don't believe that the cloak that Link was wearing in the trailer is going to be important throughout the course of the game seeing it is just a piece of clothing that doesn't seem to have anything special about it except for the designs on the back, which could really just be an emblem representing the town or village that Link came from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom