• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Bird and the Hylian Shield

I have come up with a 'theory' about the connection between Link's red Loftbird and the Hylian Shield.
It's not very inventive or original, and I think many people have thought this up already, but here it is:

It seems like every Skyloftian has his own custom bird crest or insignia representing their birds.
This is seen with his classmates and the Rauru-guy, and even with Zelda.
The Hylian Shield has a red bird on it, resembling Link's bird.
This mean the first Hylian Shield was custom made for Link in SS,
with his own personal bird crest on it.
When Hyrule was founded, probably at the end of SS, this shield became the shield of the Knights of Hyrule,
the protectors of the Royal Family, based on SS's Link, the first Zelda's knight and protector.

Zelda-Art-Small.png

Zelda's bird crest is visible on...the blue thing on her hip:p

Skyward-Sword-2011-121.jpg

Another one with some custom bird crests, on the tall blond guy and on 'Rauru's back.

Hylian_Shield_SS.png

The well-known Hylian Shield, presumably with Link's bird crest on it.

So what do you guys think?

EDIT: Let me add that I don't think this has anything to do with Link's bird being special.
I think it goes something like this; Everyone in Skyloft ahs their own bird and crest, like stated before. Link's is the red bird, or he doesn't have one yet. All the stuff with Zelda happens; she gets sucked down to the surface, Link has to go and get her back. In Skyloft he gets the green clothes, the Skyward Sword, and a shield. I'm guessing the first shield you get will be the wooden shield, and you'll get the Hylian Shield later on. The Hylian Shield will be made specially for Link by the people (or just a smith:P) of Skyloft, with his own crest on it, as a token of thanks or pride or just something like 'don't forget us, don't forget where you're from'. It's the first Hylian Shield in the series, chronologically.

Last edited:

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Yes, I thought about this thing too.

I presumably assume that Link's red "LoftBird" is, ahem, IS very important. Aonuma said it himselft.

Probably the red bird and the shield's red bird crest share a certain connection of some kind.

Peeps1080

Not the marshmallow
I agree with your theory! I had already noticed Link's bird crest on his sheild, but not anyone elses, like the Rauru guy, Zelda's and even that other kid. I noticed that on zelda in OoT and TP she has a bird crest on her dress, but it's different than links, probably her's in SS

Peeps1080

Not the marshmallow
I also realized there's a way to control a bird in some Zelda games, "Loftbird" in SS of couse,
WW: Seagull
TP: Owl
What else am I forgetting?

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I also realized there's a way to control a bird in some Zelda games, "Loftbird" in SS of couse,
WW: Seagull
TP: Owl
What else am I forgetting?
In TP it is an hawk and also you can control an cucco but those are the only games in which you can control a bird.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
As far as I can tell, "Rauru-guy" and Zelda's birds are identical. Many believe him to be her father, so maybe the different designs are specific to one family, rather than to one person. In that case, it's interesting that Link's becomes the Royal Crest instead of Zelda's (though hers looks similar).

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
As far as I can tell, "Rauru-guy" and Zelda's birds are identical. Many believe him to be her father, so maybe the different designs are specific to one family, rather than to one person. In that case, it's interesting that Link's becomes the Royal Crest instead of Zelda's (though hers looks similar).

Well, maybe the shield is custom-made for Link.

D

DarkJinjo

This makes perfect sense to me. Skyward Sword will explain the origin of the Hylian Sheild design as well as the Master Sword.

I have come up with a 'theory' about the connection between Link's red Loftbird and the Hylian Shield.
It's not very inventive or original, and I think many people have thought this up already, but here it is:

Zelda-Art-Small.png

Zelda's bird crest is visible on...the blue thing on her hip:p

Skyward-Sword-2011-121.jpg

Another one with some custom bird crests, on the tall blond guy and on 'Rauru's back.

Hylian_Shield_SS.png

The well-known Hylian Shield, presumably with Link's bird crest on it.

So what do you guys think?

EDIT: Let me add that I don't think this has anything to do with Link's bird being special.
I think it goes something like this; Everyone in Skyloft ahs their own bird and crest, like stated before. Link's is the red bird, or he doesn't have one yet. All the stuff with Zelda happens; she gets sucked down to the surface, Link has to go and get her back. In Skyloft he gets the green clothes, the Skyward Sword, and a shield. I'm guessing the first shield you get will be the wooden shield, and you'll get the Hylian Shield later on. The Hylian Shield will be made specially for Link by the people (or just a smith:P) of Skyloft, with his own crest on it, as a token of thanks or pride or just something like 'don't forget us, don't forget where you're from'. It's the first Hylian Shield in the series, chronologically.
Your theory(ies) seem/s highly plausible. I like the thought of Skyward Sword being the of origin story of the Master Sword, and the Hylian Shield, as well so it seems. :yes:

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
i found the other student's insignias! :xd:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I agree with your theory after seeing these photos... they all seem to have their own insignia that represents them/their bird. GREAT FIND Yonatesf!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom