• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Link's Awakening Vs A Link Between Worlds

Link's Awakening or A Link Between Worlds? Which one do you like better

• Link's Awakening

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Link Between Worlds

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wouldn't it have been better to compare A Link to the Past to A Link Between Worlds?

I haven't played ALBW so I can't give a fair answer.

I was thinking about it, but I think it's been done before. I was also curious as to which people would like better because I always hear a lot of people say how much they liked "Link's Awakening".

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
LA was dark and creative. I think its underrated. Yet, it can't compete with the nostalgia, creative design, freedom, and well-crafted difficulty of ALBW.

LA was dark and creative.

I think "dark" would be the complete opposite of how I'd describe LA, haha. Unless you mean "darkness" in a literal sense because of the Nightmares and such. LA was probably the most goofy, light-hearted game in the entire series.

But eh, I don't really think there's that much of a fair comparison, just because the hardware is so drastically different. Game Boy vs 3DS is a huge gap in time and technology, so I would imagine that most people would like ALBW more, just because LA is so crusty and old and this point. I still personally greatly enjoy LA, and it was the first VC game I bought for my 3DS, so if I had to give a comparison, I'd have to say that ALBW trumps it just because of how out-dated LA seems today. The button mapping is annoying because of only two slots, and the dungeon design wasn't always the best in the world. But again, it was the Game Boy, and for that standard, it was pretty awesome.

HeroofScotland

The Anti-Social Kid
Why even compare the two?
The only thing thay have in common is that they're Zelda games on a hand-held.
I think LA vs OoS/OoA would make more sense.

Anyway, I vote for ALBW since it's just better crafted.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I think "dark" would be the complete opposite of how I'd describe LA, haha. Unless you mean "darkness" in a literal sense because of the Nightmares and such. LA was probably the most goofy, light-hearted game in the entire series.

that's the front that link's awakening puts up,if you actually think about the whole concept of it,i can understand why someone would consider it dark

i don't really think this is fair,as link b/w worlds clearly has the upper hand in this
though i liked both more than link to the past,i can say that

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
This is mean.

Link's Awakening is my favorite handheld Zelda of all time. You'd think that would give it my automatic vote, but I've been playing so much more of A Link Between Worlds that I can't really do that. A Link Between Worlds is still new enough that I love it just for its novelty, so I don't know if any opinions I have aren't blinded by that love I always have for any new Zelda game.

Story-wise, LA wins no contest. ALBW has a fantastic ending but the rest of the story was not interesting at all, and there were no memorable characters in it except the main ones. Almost every character in LA was unique and fun. (I was thinking that maybe I thought that because I spent an entire summer making all the LA character pages on the wiki here at ZD, but I've been working on ALBW characters now and they're not NEARLY as interesting. So I don't think that's it.)

But then when you argue it from a gameplay perspective, you have to consider that these games were released 20 years apart... It's kind of hard to fairly compare them.

markasscop said what I was planning on saying. The reason I love Link's Awakening is how its goofiness is plastered over top of this surprisingly sad and I guess, in a way, "dark" story. It's like... you have all this happiness and light-heartedness, but it gets torn away from you. After the Face Shrine you always know what's going to happen to it.

Why even compare the two?
The only thing thay have in common is that they're Zelda games on a hand-held.
They're also both sequels to A Link to the Past. At least that's why I'd ever consider comparing them.

that's the front that link's awakening puts up,if you actually think about the whole concept of it,i can understand why someone would consider it dark

markasscop said what I was planning on saying. The reason I love Link's Awakening is how its goofiness is plastered over top of this surprisingly sad and I guess, in a way, "dark" story. It's like... you have all this happiness and light-heartedness, but it gets torn away from you. After the Face Shrine you always know what's going to happen to it.

I do understand that, conceptually, the ending of LA can be considered "dark". Having re-visited the game recently though, it's rather difficult to classify the entirety of it in that light. In retrospect, when recalling the major points of the very simple plot of LA, it could definitely seem like it had some kind of dark "consequences of waking the Wind Fish" implications.... but the game itself doesn't express that too well when you actually play through it again and look at how the idea is executed and implemented. When you study how the game is structured, in humor, presentation, and dialog, LA doesn't really reflect that seeming dark ideal that could have been present.

When I think of LA, I immediately think of Madam MeowMeow, talking animal societies, really WEIRD cameos, and Tarin doing stupid things like becoming a crazy Raccoon and keeping you from solving a forest puzzle. There's just way too much of that kind of stuff throughout for me to truly classify it as "dark" in a general sense like I would MM or TP.

Regardless, it's an interesting thing, to compare just the plot of LA and ALBW, a comparison that.... might be more fair? I have a lot of nostalgia with LA, but the "it's all a dream" plot isn't something I appreciated in Disney's Magical Quest, and I suppose that opinion carries over.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
So far I've enjoyed LA, I was a couple of temples in when I took a break. ALBW, however, held my attention from start to finish and even prompted me to go 100% and I'm now currently working my way through hero mode. So it's hands down ALBW for me.

I personally like LA better than ALBW. A lot of that has to do with the nostalgia I have for the game. But I do think ALBW is the better game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom