• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Okay, this is something that I never truly understand when it comes to timeline theories and all. From what I've heard (I think it was officially confirmed at one point or another), is that Link's Awakening is a direct sequel to A Link to the Past. Am I wrong? Can somebody clarify if there was some official mention of this, or possible where this rumor came from?

However, in many timeline theories, I see Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past in two separate timelines. (The split timeline). I just don't get it.

This perhaps could lead to what 'facts' are REALLY 'true'. For example, Phantom Hourglass is clearly a direct sequel to Wind Waker. Majora's Mask is clearly a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time. (Child Link if you want to go in more detail). Adventure of Link is a sequel to Legend of Zelda, right?

As I'm no expert as many other timeline theorists are, I feel that there should be a basis of what is REALLY fact and what is just fiction.

J

Jirrup

I think it was intended as a direct sequel, judging by the game's artwork and logo design. I bought my copy without a box or intruction book, so I don't know of any evidence from either of those.

But yeah. I use the term "intended" because (following a single timeline) I think that the Oracle series were placed in between ALTTP and LA. Though I'm not sure. I don't understand the Split either.

Hope I helped.

Am I the only one who assumed the oracle games were a direct sequel to Majora's Mask? What with the fact that Majora's Mask ended with Link riding away from Termina on horse and that the oracle games begin with young Link traveling by horse before he is unexpectedly teleported to Labrynna/Holodrum.

There's always the possibility that Link's Awakening is a direct sequel to the oracle games, considering that a continued game ends in Link sailing away on a boat looking oddly similar to the boat he used to sail to Koholint Island, but this is arguable, because I think it was confirmed that, at one point or another, Link defeated Ganon, and directly afterwards he set sail to lands unknown, seeking the answer to Hyrule's current situation. There was never anything said about him searching for his fairy, and then saving three distant lands from total destruction. The most logical placement for LA is after AlttP, making the oracle games a cliffhanger.

Am I the only one who assumed the oracle games were a direct sequel to Majora's Mask? What with the fact that Majora's Mask ended with Link riding away from Termina on horse and that the oracle games begin with young Link traveling by horse before he is unexpectedly teleported to Labrynna/Holodrum.

not unless link is in the golden land in the beginning of them. But the sky didn't look gold so I assumed he was still in hyrule.

TheManInTheMoon

I've Done Been Ganked!
There's a big flaw in the ALttP - OoX - LA progression, as the Zelda of OoX does not recognize link, which leaves us with two options.
1. The connection between LA and ALttP has been severed
2. The connection between OoX and LA is coincidental/meaningless
Due to the numerous similarities and connections between ALttP and LA and the many meaningless connections OoX establishes (to OoT and MM especially, OoX has an identical hyrule castle to OoT) I'd still go with option 1.
Also, OoX does fit comfortably after AoL as well [/shameless plugs]
not unless link is in the golden land in the beginning of them. But the sky didn't look gold so I assumed he was still in hyrule.
The triforce wasn't in the SR during MM, as the child end of OoT shows link with the ToC.

Last edited:

TheManInTheMoon

I've Done Been Ganked!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cfg3_UpjWTw&feature=related
tocph2.jpg

J

Jirrup

That's why I think the Oracle series come after ALTTP. Link claimed the full Triforce at the end of ALTTP, and was presumably checking on it when it dropped him abroad. After defeating a mindless Ganon, he sailed back to Hyrule, and his boat was wrecked on Koholint.

Though Zelda's unfamiliarity with Link in the Oracle series pokes a lovely big hole in that theory...

Ah thank you, totally didn't see it the first few times I went back and watched it. It may not be that all 3 of them possess the triforce though in the child timeline, link's may have still remained because he was destined to weild the triforce of courage like in AoL. Zelda's would probably still be on her hand too in that case.

That's why I think the Oracle series come after ALTTP. Link claimed the full Triforce at the end of ALTTP, and was presumably checking on it when it dropped him abroad. After defeating a mindless Ganon, he sailed back to Hyrule, and his boat was wrecked on Koholint.

Though Zelda's unfamiliarity with Link in the Oracle series pokes a lovely big hole in that theory...

That would be awesome I'd love to put the games in that order if only Zelda and link didn't act like they never saw each other before. :(

Last edited:

TheManInTheMoon

I've Done Been Ganked!
That would be awesome I'd love to put the games in that order if only Zelda and link didn't act like they never saw each other before.
I've had the suspicision that it may not play out the same way in the japanese version, but I've never had the resources to check.

Okay, this is something that I never truly understand when it comes to timeline theories and all. From what I've heard (I think it was officially confirmed at one point or another), is that Link's Awakening is a direct sequel to A Link to the Past. Am I wrong? Can somebody clarify if there was some official mention of this, or possible where this rumor came from?

However, in many timeline theories, I see Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past in two separate timelines. (The split timeline). I just don't get it.

This perhaps could lead to what 'facts' are REALLY 'true'. For example, Phantom Hourglass is clearly a direct sequel to Wind Waker. Majora's Mask is clearly a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time. (Child Link if you want to go in more detail). Adventure of Link is a sequel to Legend of Zelda, right?

As I'm no expert as many other timeline theorists are, I feel that there should be a basis of what is REALLY fact and what is just fiction.

LA is a true ALttP sequal. It is not rumor.

I believe that LA places after the Oracle games (or before, possibly).
Here's my reason why: In LA, one of the Windfish Nightmares was Aghnaim, and the Windfish Nightmares were enemies Link had fought...so that means ALttP Link = LA Link. So sometime after ALttP, Link is called to Holodrum and Labryyna, then he sails on his way back to Hyrule, thus making LA happen...

But as Moon said...the Zelda in OoA/OoS doesn't seem to know Link...so that presents a uge hole in this placement.

Ganon also died for 'good' in the original LoZ. Plus it has already been confirmed ever since 1993 that LA is a direct sequal to ALttP.

Ganon also died for 'good' in the original LoZ. Plus it has already been confirmed ever since 1993 that LA is a direct sequal to ALttP.
Yeah, that's why LoZ and AoL are placed last.

And I was thinking about this...

Maybe an event happens before ALttP and LA, and that game goes before the Oracles...so it could go like this:

Unconfirmed game -> OoA/OoS -> ALttP -> LA

Then that would explain why Zelda doesn't know Link in OoA/OoS, and it would explain why Zelda telepathically messages Link in ALttP (because they met in the Oracle games).

Either that or the Oracles don't fit anywhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom