• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Link's Awakening Is Underrated

I don't hear much about Link's Awakening anywhere. I say it's an underrated game. It's one of the more underrated games in the series. I think it should get more credit then it deserves. Sure, it has some weird things in it, but that what makes the game unique and really funny and cool. There are a lot of easter eggs in the games (lots of Mario references). But other then that, it follows the Zelda Formula. There is a lot of exploration, and cool items and secrets to find also. The over world was a decent size. And I definitely love the story of it (not spoiling anything). I say it should get more love then it does. Do you agree with me, or do you think people do like it?

Big Octo

=^)
To me, it isn't underrated. It's actually one of my favorite 2D Zelda games, and probably my favorite handheld Zelda. Also, most people I know who have played it have enjoyed it as well.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Also, isn't it like...the 3rd best selling Zelda title?

I think this could probably be due to the fact that it was the first handheld Zelda game, and off the huge success of A Link to the Past , Link's Awakening probably gained huge attention off many fans due to the novelty that such a prestigious franchises was coming to a handheld. At the time that must have been a pretty big thing.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I actually don't recall aLttP doing that well...it sold the same as Wind Waker (which Nintendo considered "below expectations"). On Game Rankings it scores a little below Wind Waker (although how Game Rankings describes its reception back then is debatable).

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Finally, I salute you my brother. I too have Link's Awakening. I too have sung its praises. I too find it a cool and intriguing game. It's dark, out-of-the-box, and nicely challenging. The game needs to be seen for the awesome thing it is. Long live LA!

DarkLink17

Well then
I agree, it was too shadowed by 3D and newer 2D games. LA is actually my 3rd favorite game in the series, and I'm glad to see others who love it just as much.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I've never considered it over rated, because alot of people consider it a pretty good game.

Though I personally liked the oracle games over it, It was still a great game.

ILU

i luv u
Very underrated, IMO. I think it's really due to its age. Older games like TLoZ and TAoL, though older, are better known because their difficulty is often mentioned. LA, on the other hand, is more story-based. While it's a fantastic story, I think it's something that a lot of younger fans (and there are a LOT of young Zelda fans) can't really grasp. When I played this the first time, all I got from it was that Link and Marin had a thing but it was all a dream. Sad. The end. I wasn't too impressed with it aside from the cool Mario references. When I replayed it a years later, I was really shocked by how deep it was, and I was finally able to appreciate it.

I think that the game's greatest feature is, unfortunately, also its downfall. :/

In my opinion, I'd say the original Zelda's more underrated. It might just be me but I don't often see too many threads or discussions about the first Zelda game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I actually don't recall aLttP doing that well...it sold the same as Wind Waker (which Nintendo considered "below expectations"). On Game Rankings it scores a little below Wind Waker (although how Game Rankings describes its reception back then is debatable).

Scores from back then are very different from nowadays, as you said. Around the 90s, a 9/10 meant "must buy; practically flawless." whereas nowadays a 9/10 means "great game". 6/10 meant "decent game" whereas nowadays 6/10 means "barely playable". ALttP's reception back then was practically analogous to OoT's reception...which is to say "perfect game". ;)

Anywho, LA was not and is not underrated. It just isn't mentioned much. True underrated is the Oracle series.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Scores from back then are very different from nowadays, as you said. Around the 90s, a 9/10 meant "must buy; practically flawless." whereas nowadays a 9/10 means "great game". 6/10 meant "decent game" whereas nowadays 6/10 means "barely playable". ALttP's reception back then was practically analogous to OoT's reception...which is to say "perfect game". ;)

Anywho, LA was not and is not underrated. It just isn't mentioned much. True underrated is the Oracle series.

Ven's right, in that the scoring system for games has changed drastically, however I disagree that the Oracle games are underrated. Link's Awakening is a pretty underrated game. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were released right after it, leaving it to be forgotten very easily. Though they have made a remake of it, I feel as if it was quickly forgotten yet again due to the release of other Zelda games (i.e. the Oracles, and the announcements of TWWHD and ALBW).

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links

I'm only 20, so I can neither confirm nor deny this...but wasn't Game Rankings scores developed in modern times?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom