• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Age?

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
So, I was thinking, Link is never really chosen to be the hero of time/in green/ etc. for a good reason. It seems kind of random, and, to to tell the truth, seems to be kind of irresponsible. Why choose at random some ten year old kid who's never been outside of Kokiri Woods, let alone outta Kansas, Todo, when they could choose an older, stronger, and more experienced Captain of the Royal Guard or some one like that? someone who maybe has a wife, small kid, and very loyal poodle named Smurfs? He might know something about adventuring, some swordplay, why skirts lack a certain charm on the battle feild (before the diehard fans kill me, I was only joking about his tunic. I don't really want it to be gone in the next zelda. Seriously.), maybe has a decent sword and sheild. While it's at that, what would you all think of a late-twenties-early-thirties link with this description of maturity, experience, and strength? I personally think this would be good to help change up the storyline a bit. As awesome as kid link is, it might be time to take a breif time off of him. What do you guys think?

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Link is in fact chosen to be the Hero of Hyrule. The legends around Hyrule are all depicting a boy (from 10-17 at least) to be the Hero. I suppose the Goddesses could've chosen someone more heroic than Link but that is the story Nintendo have fashioned. It is an age old coming of age plot that focuses on a boy growing up to become a man. It gives you a chance to grow up with Link. It is something that gives young boys something to dream about because they are seeing a boy become a mature man through their actions. It's human pride that helps drive it.

Link can be a captain of the guard if he wanted and I'd say it'd work out. The whole coming of age plot does seem a little redundant after all the time you spend playing as a young boy. I only agree that he should step out of the ranch hand shoes for at least a while. It gives a certain flair to the story that way.

The oldest I would want Link is in his early twenties. And based on the pic of him with the blue figure and some creator quotes he will be older than usual.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Link is the most courageous in all of hyrule, his quests bare testiment to this fact and he recieves a piece of the triforce because he is so. If anyone else got the triforce of courage the game would be about that person. But Link gets it, so our story is about him and not some random dude who doesn't even have a piece of the triforce like a experienced Captain of the Royal Guard. Link searches far and wide, unlike a captain who has duties and responsibilities closer to home. Link is free because he is young, has no direct family so he can leave home for extended peroids of time without getting in trouble... and is courious about the kingdom outside of the forest.

It's all quite perfect actually. but ya I think it's time for a step away from those young DS Links. We need an older one, say 19- 20ish. That would be prime. It could give us a whole new look on the guy. I mean heck there has been very little character developement over the years when it comes to our main hero. Sure graphic wise he is better than ever. But I think they have neglected the developement of his personality for some time now. playing with an older (more personal) Link would reveal much about who our character "becomes" in all of his futures.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Well, I think the age of Link is chosen so that players identify with him.

Also, the young age adds to the sense of the drama--the young and vulnerable taking on great, wicked forces.

It all fits with the theme common in Zelda games of heading out into the world and exploring for the first time. An older link would already be master of his world, or at least familiar with it--the sense of discovering things anew would be diminished.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
Yeah, Link is supposed to be the brave young blood, but, in this game I want them to change it up a little bit, have a more mature Link and a more mature game overall(That deals with more mature themes. what? it happens in real life) I say in this next game Links should be 18-21, though I think it be cool to kick @$$ with an adult 35 year old Link that has a full amor on him and a growing beard, that make him seem moar cool!

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Link's always been a kid. A lot of it is based off of Shiggy's experiences as a child, so why wouldn't we want to play as a kid? We play adults in eeeeeeeeverything. Link was 17 in OoT and 16 in TP and just a few days shy of turning 16 in AoL. Other than that, he's always been younger and I like playing as a kid.

But really, Zelda has always featured a coming of age substory within each story, so he grows mature through the games' events. MM displayed this really well when Cremia acknowledged Link as an adult. So really, what need was there to be an adult physically?

Zelda Wii, however, is said to have an older Link than before (I think somewhere around 18). This might be cool as long as they don't try to turn him into something he's not. I'd never want to see Link older than 20, really, because having some innocence of the world is fitting for his position as a pure hearted hero.

I love the whole coming of age theme within the stories. Link as a younger character is much more fitting the stories, I think, for all the reasons mentioned above. However, I wouldn't mind a slightly older one at some point. If nothing else, it would keep my fiance from picking on me for liking a younger guy because apparently I have a huge crush on the character -_-. *sigh* Fiances... ;-)

Ya, a bad @$# Link at the age of 30, ripped, experienced, and ready to mess ^&%$ UUPPP! That'd be cool and innovative. But only for one game. it'd actually be cool if they started him off as older, and then halfway through the game you're forced to become a child, like a seven year old. And nobody believed you because you're just a kid and you're trying to save everyone! But they JUST DONT LISTEN.
Ya, a cool idea I think.

A

Almo SSBB

same age in TP, or slightly older. i kind of got tired of playing zelda games that have link as a kid all the time, although OoT was ok cause you grew up to the older link

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
I thank all of you for your responses. The more I think about it, the more I think that the older, stronger, possibly battle hardened link would be awesome for one game. Maybe, there is this new princess, Zelda, who is quite young and reckless, and decides to go to war with the "dark forces" (goblin types for the grunts, gerudos for the commandos) over a few border skirmishes. Link reluctantly leaves his home and family as a seargent or captain or something of that nature to fight in a war he doesn't belive in, and ends up saving Zelda's life on the front lines. But, she's injured, and they lose the battle due to lack of morale; Link carries her into the cover of a foreest, and in the pursuit, getts lost. He eventually faints due exhaustion and injuries. When he awakes, he finds himself in theinfirmary of a village of Kokiri, a race thoughtt to be a fary tale or exctinct species. The kokiri had picked up this knight clad in armor and a green tunic as well as some sort of royalty of the hated humans. When Link awakes, he is well aware that the only reason they let him live is because the deku tree told them to. However, a warning gong sounds, and the kokiri rush out. Link gets up, grabs his sword, and runs out. He sees the threat; a gerrudo commando(commandess?) has taken the kokiri elder and has him at knife point. Link assesses tthe situation, and chalenges the gerudo to a duel. He kills her, and the Kokiri gain respect for the young(ish) man who saved their elder. Just then, the deku tree asks to have an audience with him. There, Link is made aware of how ganondorf is regaining power, and that is why the skirmishes have started. From there, the tree tells link that he must begin an epic adventure to save hyrule. Personally, I think it sounds great, but I would like to hear more opinions, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom