• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Linkanon's Updated Timeline Theory

Now that I’ve seen everything in Skyward Sword ( http://www.youtube.com/user/gloverrandall/ ), I’ve put together my very own theory that proves my timeline theory I posted a month or two ago. This is what I started with:

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?22895-Linkanon-s-Legend-of-Zelda-Timeline

Now, I have proof to back it up. Let’s start with the child timeline.

Skyward Sword

After seeing the end credits and final cut scenes, I now have my reasons for placing everything after this game, even though everyone knows that Nintendo told us it came before all of the Zelda games so far. Since Nintendo told us that, there’s not really anything to say about this until later, so on to the next placement.

Ocarina of Time

After seeing Link put the Master Sword away, and the doors opening in the end of the game before the credits, I thought, “Ok, how does that fit?” because it looks just like the Temple of Time in Twilight Princess. But now, after thinking about it, I’ve come up with the theory that someone came and rebuilt the Sacred Grounds, turning it into the Temple of Time, although I’m still not sure about how the Triforce just magically disappeared, but I’ll think about it. Then, the events of Ocarina of Time happen. At the end, two separate timelines are created, but I’m sticking with the child timeline for now.

Majora’s Mask

Majora’s Mask is sort of a side story that happens after Ocarina of Time, and before the next game. Since this really didn’t have anything to do with Hyrule, although plays a big part in this timeline, I’m gonna move on.

Twilight Princess

Years and years after Majora’s Mask, Link has a child. There’s only one girl who he could marry that lives in Hyrule and isn’t a sage: Malon, but that’s not really important. Anyways, that Link goes on an adventure and meets an interesting, mysterious character, the Hero’s Shade. Now take a good look at his name; the Hero’s Shade. This could mean an infinity of things, but I’m sticking with the one that proves my theory: that this is the Link from Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask, who got lost in the Lost Woods and turned into a Stalfos. Look at his shield: it bears an incredible resemblance to the Mirror Shield from Majora’s Mask, and he has a sword that looks like the Razor Sword, also from Majora’s Mask. Now this quote could mean an infinity of things, also, but the Hero’s Shade’s quote when you learn your final hidden skill is, “Now go, my son.” Again, it could mean anything, but doesn’t that make sense? It does to me.

Minish Cap

I’m gonna kind of skip over the Four Sword series a little bit, because I don’t have much background from Minish Cap to back it up, because I’ve never played it, but I’ll do my best. So the legend at the beginning of Minish Cap says that a hero saved the world with the Picori Blade. A long time later, the Picori Blade is destroyed by Vaati in his human form. Link (a completely different one than the one in Twilight Princess) has to go on a quest to reforge the Picori Blade, and defeat Vaati. I’m not sure if this really happens, as I haven’t played Minish Cap, but I think that Vaati is defeated and sealed away in the Picori Blade as a monster, and the Picori Blade turns into the Four Sword (if that didn’t happen before).

Four Swords

Now I don’t really consider a remake-add-on a real game, but most people do, so I’ll count it. The same Link or the next Link after Minish Cap’s, not sure, goes to the Four Sword with Zelda and Vaati escapes his prison, captures Zelda, and Link draws the Four Sword. Link splits into four Link’s, and (t)he(y) defeat Vaati, sealing him once more.

Four Swords Adventures

I don’t know if I’d say this is the same Link as Minish Cap and Four Swords, just Minish Cap (probably not), or just Four Swords, so let’s just say some Link is with Zelda, who is going to check the seal of the Four Sword with the maidens. Vaati escapes his prison once more, and seals the maidens in crystals, then captures Zelda. Again, Link has to draw the Sour Sword, splitting him into four once again. (The) Link(s) defeat Vaati, seal him once again, but this time, he doesn’t escape (so far, who knows, maybe they’ll make another Four Swords game).

A Link to the Past

Aghanim captures Zelda for his ritual of some kind, and Link stops him… but the story isn’t over just yet. Ganon appears, and Link defeats him.

The Oracle Games (Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages)

I made a little oopsie in my timeline: I forgot the Oracle games. These games tell the story of when some Link (again, not sure which) touches the Triforce and is sent to different realms (Holodrum in Oracle of Seasons, and I forgot where in Oracle of Ages). Link saves both lands, and in the combined game, Link has to defeat Ganon, who was revived form being dead by the Twinrova, Ganon’s supposed "mothers".

Link’s Awakening

I don’t care if you think A Link to the Past comes before it, because I don’t. I think a new Link set off on a journey to find new lands, gets in a storm, and “floats” to Koholint Island. But how? I don’t think it’s a real place, I think it’s a dream that Link has. Either that, or the Wind Fish hides Koholint Island from anyone’s view after Link wakes him. Link then sets off for Hyrule to live with his uncle after deciding he was done looking for new places.

The Legend of Zelda

This game features a new Link. After the events of A Link to the Past is where Skyward Sword comes back in. Continue for spoilers.
In the end of Skyward Sword, Impa just disappears. Did she die? Or did she live and go to another place… or time?
Spoilers end here, I believe. Anyways, I think she went to the time of The Legend of Zelda to warn Link about Zelda, and what do you know? Zelda gets captured, so that explains why Impa’s an old lady. Or maybe that’s the Impa from Ocarina of Time… but probably now, since The Legend of Zelda takes place way after Ocarina of Time, but who knows, the Shiekah are an interesting race. Anyways, Link kills Ganon (yes, KILLS, not seals or stops), which is why Ganon is trying to come back in the next game.

The Adventure of Link

This game features the same Link as The Legend of Zelda. In The Adventure of Link, Zelda is cursed with a sleeping spell, so Link has to get the Triforce to save her. How? By defeating his own shadow. When he does, he get the Triforce and awakens Zelda.

This concludes my theory of the child timeline. Now, I’ll cover the adult timeline.

Skyward Sword

Just go read the one at the top…

Ocarina of Time

See Skyward Sword adult timeline version.

The Wind Waker

Many, many years after the events of Ocarina of Time, the goddesses flood Hyrule to stop Ganondorf from taking over Hyrule. A new Link is born, and he has to go to stop Ganondorf from taking over the flooded Hyrule. He succeeds, but there’s one notable thing I want to mention, a question that will probably come up eventually: why is Link a child in The Wind Waker? Well, you have to remember… this takes place a long time after Ocarina of Time, long after, so this is a completely new Link, and he’s probably the second or third one after Ocarina of Time’s Link.

Phantom Hourglass

C’mon, it’s a sequel and we know it, same Link.

Spirit Tracks

Another obvious sequel, although takes place 100 years after Phantom Hourglass.

More DS?

Any other DS Zelda game would probably come after Spirit Tracks, I don’t know, though, neither do… well, everyone.

In Conclusion…

This concludes my theory. I hope you guys have lots of comments and questions, I’d be happy to reply to them. Any suggestions? Problems? I’m free most of the time. Also, please let me know if there are any misspellings. So see you later, ZD!

~Linkanon~

Last edited:

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
This is an interesting timeline theory. I haven't played all the games so I can't say that there's anything wrong with your logic here.^^

Thanks, Rainy! ^^ I haven't really played LA and OoS/OoA too much, and I've never played MC, so that ruined the Foru Swords series for me, but whatever, I'll update this again once I've played all of the games in depth, 100%.

Link’s Awakening

I don’t care if you think A Link to the Past comes before it, because I don’t. I think a new Link set off on a journey to find new lands, gets in a storm, and “floats” to Koholint Island. But how? I don’t think it’s a real place, I think it’s a dream that Link has. Either that, or the Wind Fish hides Koholint Island from anyone’s view after Link wakes him. Link then sets off for Hyrule to live with his uncle after deciding he was done looking for new places.

LA's back story in the manual suggests that this is a sequel to either ALttP or LoZ.
Though you fulfilled of the Hyrulian prophecy of the Legendary Hero and destroyed the evil tyrant Ganon, the land of Hyrule enjoyed only a precarious peace. You can read the rest here: http://www.zeldacapital.com/manual/ladxmanual.pdf.

A Link to the Past

Aghanim captures Zelda for his ritual of some kind, and Link stops him… but the story isn’t over just yet. Ganon appears, and Link defeats him.

Your explanation of ALttP is vague and isn't very well thought of IMO. Plus I even wonder if you know the story. I'll try to explain. No offense intended, just saying it needs improvement.

BTW where does the IW, the back story of ALttP take place here? It can't take place between LA and ALttP.

Agahnim came to Hyrule so that he could release the seal that holds Ganon in the dark world by capturing the seven maidens including Princess Zelda, who are the descendants of the seven wise men/sages who created that seal (which was the IW). When Link defeated Agahnim, Link was drawn to the dark world, saved the maidens including Zelda before any "ritual" or breaking of the seal could take place so that is when the maidens and Zelda broke the barrier to Ganon's tower. That's where Link had his second and final battle with Agahnim and when the wizard was defeated, Ganon rose out of his body and Ganon told Link that Agahnim was his alter-ego.

You may want to consider this instead - ALttP/OoX/LA. In ALttP, Ganon is killed. In OoX Ganon is resurrected and is killed once again and at the end Link set's sail in a boat that could start LA.

The only major issue I see is in the placement of the Oracle games. In LttP, it says that the Master Sword sleeps forever; but, in the linked Oracle games, its possible to get the Master Sword.

The only major issue I see is in the placement of the Oracle games. In LttP, it says that the Master Sword sleeps forever; but, in the linked Oracle games, its possible to get the Master Sword.

That's not the same Master Sword.

TwilightKing

Stay Frosting!
Ok... I don't see that major of an explanation for LoZ and AoL's placement, but my reason of putting it on the AT is because of the towns named after the sages that only awaken in the AT in AoL.

You don't know that, nor have any proof to say that it is not.

This Master Sword is just an upgrade from Link's existing wooden and noble sword. Since when did a sword needed to be upgraded to become the Master Sword? That's not the Master Sword's traditional origins. That is my proof.

How did the Master Sword get from the pedestal from the lost woods in Hyrule to Labrynna and all of a sudden become an upgrade (or appear in the pedestal there as another way of getting it)? How is Farore, or out of all people an old man able to even upgrade your sword to the "legendary Master Sword"?

If you go through the game normally and get everything in the normal sequence, the sword is teleported to you by the oracle only after you've beaten one of the cartridges. In ALttp, Link doesn't have his normal sword anymore after getting the master sword. Is that an upgrade through changing the sword into another sword? Nope. Capcom made the master sword appear though the smith if you didn't already have the first upgraded sword for balance. They didn't want you to 'cheat' by getting the best sword before you get the normal upgraded one. By your wording, it seems like you haven't played or beaten OoX and it shows.

BTW, the smith/restorer doesn't change the wooden sword into the master sword, he repairs the broken sword gotten in the trading sequence. And that broken sword comes from a ghost or a zora (whatever that thing is).

Also, the zora says, this sword has the spirit of the sea in it. This is the Hero's Sword that a great hero gave my ancestors long ago. ~ This means that Wind Waker can come before OoX. Because this sword was toon Link's sword before he got the master sword. He said the sword was given to his ancestors long ago so in between that time PH and ST could have happened in between OoX and WW.

Last edited:
That's not the same Master Sword.
That is such a cop out. I never assume its a different Master Sword unless that is made clear. It is not made clear that it is a completely different sword. Thus, you can't logically assume it isn't the same one.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is putting FSA after TP. In TP, its made quite apparent that the Gerudo Tribe was wiped out, yet they are in FSA.

About LA

Having OoX in-between AlttP and LA is in, my opinion, consistent with LA's manual (which, interestingly, is different from the Japanses one): Link has defeated Ganondorf and saved Hyrule (AlttP and OoX) and he has been on a quest of enlightenment or been training (OoX) and is returning to Hyrule (a possible interpretation of the OoX ending with the boat).

About the OoX Master Sword

The line that the Master Sword sleeps again forever, was actually ignored with the release of AST, so I wonder whether the original line has not been retconned by today. We also have the problem with there being multiple ways of acquiring the Master Sword.

/Blue Window

Let me put this way instead -IMO the Master Sword in OoX is not the same Master Sword in the previous games. I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough before.

Also, the zora says, this sword has the spirit of the sea in it. This is the Hero's Sword that a great hero gave my ancestors long ago. ~ This means that Wind Waker can come before OoX.

We already established in the topic that you created that OoX cannot take place on the AT so it was locked so this doesn't support your theory here either.

Do you believe that the Zora's evolved into the Rito? If so, then this is contradicting that there are Zora after TWW.

Because this sword was toon Link's sword before he got the master sword.

What? :mellow:

You didn't establish anything. Nobody gave proof besides me. Having hissy fits and locking threads isn't called established. Want more proof since you're talking about that thread? Here ya go....
The Legend of Zelda - The Minish Cap3.png

Toon Link is Link from wind waker so that's what.

Quoting doesn't seem to be working correctly now...

The line that the Master Sword sleeps again forever, was actually ignored with the release of AST, so I wonder whether the original line has not been retconned by today. We also have the problem with there being multiple ways of acquiring the Master Sword.
Like some of the time paradoxes in OoT, this was likely done for gameplay purposes. There is one way to get the Master Sword that involves pulling it out of a pedestal. That could be the cannon way Link got it.

You didn't establish anything. Nobody gave proof besides me.
Completely incorrect. Sure some might not have given proof, but you aren't the only one who has presented it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom