• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link....Using Guns???

• Thread starter zeldamasterswor
  • Start date

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Somehow I can see guns as setting the completely wrong mood of a game, it would take the emphasis away from the sword which is as needed in a Zelda game as Link himself is. Give him a gun, disregarding the other facts, and you'd eliminate the need for most of the other items. Heck, you probably wouldn't even need keys.

The closet that will probably happen is a crossbow, which in itself is just an upgraded bow in video games.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Um.... *Timidly raises hand*

I wrote a novel-length fan fiction that was an LoZ Sci-Fi/Western. Yes, Link got the Master Sword, but he also had a six-shooter. That's my fanfic Link in my current avatar. He also wears a cowboy hat.

I figure, if we already had Zelda with pirates and canons, why the heck can't we have Zelda with cowboys and revolvers?

*Is shot.*

Actually, really, I'm surprised at the good reception The Great Desert has gotten. Seriously, no one has wanted to kill me for writing that fic (that I know of).

Let's just say... I wouldn't mind Link having a gun in an actual Legend of Zelda game, as long as it had limited use, he still made use of swords, and his ultimate/key weapon was still the Master Sword. I would just use it as replacement for the bow, at best.

Len

Zelda On Paper
Guns... i got speechless for a moment when i saw this.
Using guns (depending of what type of guns are, muskets, western, modern etc.)
would really really make dissapear the feeling of a "Zelda Game" , bang you kill ganny with one shot and that's the end of the story, you know what i mean, it would be practicaly boring and embarasing this way, we would all be dissapointed if it really there's going to be guns. all zelda games are made for swords, potions, bows and arrows and all that medieval melee weaponry (and we all like it that way, the traditional zelda way)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
You know what?

I hope Ninentdo *does* make a Zelda game in which Link uses a gun/guns (alongside swords, of course).

Why? I'd like to see people stop whining about it. One minor change/innovation incorporated into the Zelda formula, if done well, is NOT going to ruin the whole thing. In fact, I predict that if guns appear in a future Zelda game, some of the people who whined the most about how ruinous it would be will wind up praising the game as the best Zelda game ever! (Or not as good as Ocarina of Time, but still awesome!)

As said, the idea actually has been broached before in the Oracles games with the Seed Shooter. Oh, and Link has had weirder weapons. Spinner from TP anyone? Now that thing, in my opinion, was just stupid. (And I *love* TP).

Zelda games have always been pretty innovative and have brought us stuff we didn't expect, yet accept in time. Honestly, I grew up in the first era - original LoZ, AoL, in which everything was truly Medieval-style adventure. In the modern era, we have stuff like LoZ with high seas pirate-adventures! And steamships! And, more recently, steam trains! Heck, probably one of the reasons why I'm such a Twilight Princess fan is that it has touches of wild west in it! (Only it stopped short of brining in guns).

Zelda may be Medieval-ish, but the lastest games have been genre-benders in their own right, so I really fail to see how a limited use of gunplay alongside the traditional swordplay would be completely ruinous. Besides, I think Ganondorf is just *too freaking powerful* to die by "boom! Headshot!" - He needs the sacred energies of the Master Sword to put him to rest - always has, always will.

Trust Nintendo. If they did something crazy like borrow a page from my fanfiction, it would wind up being cool.

Ooccoo Watcher

Some guy with a Clawshot.
No. Because of this....

You got the Master bazooka! This holds the bullets of evils bane, even though you can kill yourself with it!

Later in the final boss room......
Ganon takes out a machine gun and starts firing at Link.
Link: Machine Guns are no match for bazookas!
Link Shoots Ganon with bazooka but nothing happens
Link: Wha? Oh right, I need light arrows! Crap....
Link Rummages through belt for bow and light arrows but remembers he decided to sell his light arrows on E-bay
Link: Is there such thing as a light bullet?
Ganon shoots link with machine gun

THE END

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I always find this funny. Every time I hear The Legend of Zelda with guns? I always picture S.W.A.T. Team repelling and busting in through the windows of Ganon's castle and gunning him down.:lol:

B

Blizzard78

Guns wouldn't fit into the Zelda series. So that's a big no. And I think guns would somewhat make the game... easier. The bow and arrows are a much better choice. :D

Shadsie said:
Besides, I think Ganondorf is just *too freaking powerful* to die by "boom! Headshot!" - He needs the sacred energies of the Master Sword to put him to rest - always has, always will.
If guns do make it to the Legend of Zelda, this is what's more than likely going to happen. Ganon won't die from one shot to the head. Neither will Link.

A lot you people seem to be incorporating real life into the idea of guns in Zelda. You think that Ganon will die if you hit him in the head once. That won't happen. If real life was incorporated into Zelda, then all we would need to do is shoot an arrow at Ganon's head and he'd be dead. We shoot him in the head with a light arrow and what happens? He's stunned. Also, Ganon's a final boss, so why do you think he'll be taken down in only one hit?

Any game that includes guns goes against what would happen in real life. We've seen it done in some of the greatest shooters, like Goldeneye 64 and the Call of Duty games, so that it keeps the players in the game longer. The same will happen if guns make it into the Zelda series.

Kybyrian

You know what?

I hope Ninentdo *does* make a Zelda game in which Link uses a gun/guns (alongside swords, of course).

Why? I'd like to see people stop whining about it. One minor change/innovation incorporated into the Zelda formula, if done well, is NOT going to ruin the whole thing. In fact, I predict that if guns appear in a future Zelda game, some of the people who whined the most about how ruinous it would be will wind up praising the game as the best Zelda game ever! (Or not as good as Ocarina of Time, but still awesome!)

As said, the idea actually has been broached before in the Oracles games with the Seed Shooter. Oh, and Link has had weirder weapons. Spinner from TP anyone? Now that thing, in my opinion, was just stupid. (And I *love* TP).

Zelda games have always been pretty innovative and have brought us stuff we didn't expect, yet accept in time. Honestly, I grew up in the first era - original LoZ, AoL, in which everything was truly Medieval-style adventure. In the modern era, we have stuff like LoZ with high seas pirate-adventures! And steamships! And, more recently, steam trains! Heck, probably one of the reasons why I'm such a Twilight Princess fan is that it has touches of wild west in it! (Only it stopped short of brining in guns).

Zelda may be Medieval-ish, but the lastest games have been genre-benders in their own right, so I really fail to see how a limited use of gunplay alongside the traditional swordplay would be completely ruinous. Besides, I think Ganondorf is just *too freaking powerful* to die by "boom! Headshot!" - He needs the sacred energies of the Master Sword to put him to rest - always has, always will.

Trust Nintendo. If they did something crazy like borrow a page from my fanfiction, it would wind up being cool.

Master Sword with gun attachment for slaying all evil beings as you need!

It's true that they came across something sort of like a gun before by putting in the seed shooter, but the seed shooter is a lot different. For one, it was used for a lot of puzzles because it was great for those sort of things. You could bounce seeds off of walls and hit switches and all that. It also had good use in some battles where you had to use the seed shooter. I can only recall one, but there may be more than that. The seed shooter is just not all that much like a gun, though. The only thing like it is that it shoots stuff. It works better in a 2D Zelda game than 3D as well. The seed shooter had a lot of use in puzzles that could have only been done in 2D. A gun also doesn't bounce things off of walls like the seed shooter. Guns are pretty powerful, too. If you can kill a Darknut in a few sword slashes the gun can kill him much faster, and it doesn't even require that you get close to the enemy!

S

Souldier

I don't know. I actually didn't liked all the technological advance they showed us in TP (I prefered the OoT magic by far) beacuse it changed this mystic touch that covers TLOZ

T

TheKing

I agree with the idea of guns. But, it definitely shouldn't be like today's modern guns that would own all the dekubabas back then. Just maybe a small revolver that has a little more attack damage than the bow and arrow, but can't be used from a long distance. Or maybe somthing to take out that wimpy slingshot anyone?

Anyways, this probably will not happen as the legend of zelda has been known for being a family game. Aren't guns kind of a bad thing to give to children?

Personally i liked the dark theme of TP, and would like to see it taken further to the point of it being rated m. (Bloody link ftw) But it is obviously not going to happen.

Anyway, most everything else that i have to say has already been said. =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom