• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link, The Name of a Hero

Jetter

Type to myself in silence
So Why is every hero in a Zelda game named Link? Is it a common name? Maybe. Is it the name of the hero. It can't be or can it. It could be that the people who named Link Link named him that because something in them told them to do that. Maybe the Godesses did this. Is Link's name short for Lincoln or is it a coincidence? Please Discuss. BTW What does Link's name mean?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
"Link - a fine, strong name signficant of connection." __ Saria in my fanfic The Great Desert

Originally "Link" was just something of an archaic/fantasy-sounding name, used for the character to instill a sense of connection to the player. The idea was that since you were controlling this little sprite, "Link' was supposed to be you - "Linked" to you. A very cute idea.

But it was also the official character name, and was kept throughout the series for the Legacy Characters.

Link is a real name - albiet much more common as a surname than a given name. I live next to a cemetary and there is a headstone in it for a Link family. However, I believe it's been confirmed that Miyamoto chose the name originally because he was supposed to "link" to you.

M

Mystic Shade

The name Link, as some people have mentioned, is a way of linking the players to Link and each other as they play through the game.
Ingame, I would think that the name Link would be surounded with heroism and courage, given Link's ancestors adventues, making it a good choice of a name for a boy in hyrule. There are some gaps however like in OoT, and in those cases it's probably just coincidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom