• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Talking Would NOT Be the End of the World As We Know It.

This is one of the core things that nintendo will never change...for so many reasons! Also, Tingle is coming, be ready for him!

I wouldn't like it if Link got to talk by himself. My reasons, though, are different from most people.

I don't think it would break Link's purpose of being the player's avatar since, at least for me, he never did this role properly (by the way, is there anyone out there that really feels like being in the game on Link's shoes?), and I'm not afraid of Nintendo making a mistake and giving him bad dialogues (I doubt this would happen, Zelda is filled with great characters, why would they mess it with Link?). Actually, I think Link has a pretty strong personality for one who's supposed to be an avatar.

I disagree simply because I find silent protagonists to be EXTREMELLY appealing. I think the ausence of a voice/dialogue forcing the character to express himself through expressions and movements very artistic and charming. Depending on the case, not having a dialogue actually improves the character's presence. A few examples of awesome silent protagonists: Chrono and Serge (Chrono series), Ness and Lucas (Mother series), Minato (P3), Mario (duh!), Isaac (Golden Sun series), etc.

On the other hand, I agree that Nintendo should try to do it, just to see if it comes out good, after all, who knows!

@edit
I like Tingle! xD

if link doesnt talk, you can make of him whatever you want, is almost sure that you would like the character if you are giving him the personality you like more, but if link talks, then only a part of the ppl would like how is link

no offense but, link, ST*U :P

Damn, Tingle IS gonna be in SS???... There goes almost half of my enthusiasm for SS. I personally can't stand Tingle. But, it's mostly his personallity that I can't stand.

I seriously don't see why people don't like Tingle, he's one of my favorite characters in the entire series! Please explain! :P

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I seriously don't see why people don't like Tingle, he's one of my favorite characters in the entire series! Please explain! :P

With pleasure. Tingle. Is. FREAKING. ANNOYING. And a little creppy, in my opinion. And... he's just sad. In Majora's Mask, he sells maps to help his father, because he (tingle) is too busy waiting for a fairy to come to him. At age 35. So, so sad. And Tingle in WW is even worse. I find THAT Tingle to be especially annoying and creppy... enough said. The rest kinda speaks for itself. So there ya go. That's why I dislike Tingle.

With pleasure. Tingle. Is. FREAKING. ANNOYING. And a little creppy, in my opinion. And... he's just sad. In Majora's Mask, he sells maps to help his father, because he (tingle) is too busy waiting for a fairy to come to him. At age 35. So, so sad. And Tingle in WW is even worse. I find THAT Tingle to be especially annoying and creppy... enough said. The rest kinda speaks for itself. So there ya go. That's why I dislike Tingle.

You just named all the reasons I like Tingle :P

Giving Samus a voice sure ruined the experience of Metroid: Other M. I think Link's mute character is what makes him a more personal vessel to take control of, and his emotions say everything his words can't. I really enjoy my silent hero of courage and I hope that never changes. Voice acting for other NPCs would be a welcome introduction, but I really enjoy the grunts. Once again, they offer personality unlike any other game can, and without the right cast, the voiceovers could destroy the game, no matter how good the gameplay.

What Skyward Sword needs is a fully orchestrated soundtrack to make each encounter feel more dense and epic. Fighting Bowser in Mario Galaxy felt so much more thrilling and rewarding with an epic choir in the background chanting to the rythm of the battle, and let's be honest, since Wind Waker, Zelda's battle music has been all about keeping to the rythm of the fight. This is what would trully benefit Zelda in the future.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I would prefer it if Link kept his silence. He is a character that, to me, speaks through his actions more so than with words. Personally, it appeals to me more; Link does not need dialogue to be an in-depth character.

I am a person that dislikes to project myself into characters when I'm playing video games. I see the character for who they are. I name Link "Link" in the games since it feels weird for him to be named anything different. On the contrary, however, I love to fantasize my own personal opinions about Link's character into him when I'm playing the game. He is not me and will never be me, but because of his lack of evident personality, so to speak, we -- as the players -- get to choose it for him. I enjoy doing this, and like I said earlier, this is only possible because of the missing parts in his personality. Giving Link a voice would ruin that for me since it would establish a set personality for him that everyone has to follow.

Another reason I wouldn't want Link to have dialogue is because of the localization that will happen once the game hits other countries... I personally love his Japanese voice actor (currently Akira Sasanuma, from Twilight Princess) and would hate it if Link's voice were to be replaced with another.

That's just my opinion. I totally agree with you about it not being the end of the world if Link got voice acting, though. It's just like making Link right-handed in Skyward Sword. I don't like it, but it's not gonna kill the game.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
It would be pretty interesting for Nintendo to try some third person Link talk or VAing, but I highly doubt they would experiment with something as core as Link's infamous silence. Even if they did, I'm sorry to say that I don't have much faith that it would executed well, EVEN if they just opt for text dialogue. It's inevitable that as the games change, technology progresses, that Link will be ingrained with a more of a personality. His lack of expression in the early days was to be expected, but nowadays, I feel like some fans, as well as the ever-wary Nintendo guys, cling to the "Link between the player and the game" definition. At this point I think it's just because it's hard to give him only one personality, seeing as so many people have so many different views of him. As StrangeWig said, he already holds his own as a character, otherwise, we wouldn't see the mischievousness of Toon Link in WW, we wouldn't have dramatic cutscenes in TP, ect.

Ahem, on topic, I feel like just having in text dialogue would be kind of an awkward purgatory between silence and VAing. I mean, we already kind of have that... For a while, Link has been presented with responses to questions that are pretty expressive. Again, such as in WW and TP. But full on boxes of text...I guess it makes you use your imagination, but I feel like whatever personality Nintendo gives him, or whatever he says in those text boxes will displease a good portion of people. As I'm writing this, I'm thinking I'd rather him just stick with the little VA-ing quips, like the yelling, hi-ya's, hey, c'mon, tch/owch, and the like, maybe expand upon that a little, but I'll pass on the cutscene monologues lest we get a facepalm-worthy English VA or something. However, I will add that I really enjoy seeing the voices other people give him, courtesy of fan-flashes and whatnot. Some are really entertaining and fitting, like College Humor's Zelda parody and a newer one that can be found on youtube called Link and the Pig. (Not sure I should link to them, since both contain some mature comedy).

But no, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Some rabid fanboys might think so, but like others have said, gameplay does not equal graphics does not equal voice acting, so I think we'll pull through...And honestly, I am totally indifferent to seeing Tingle return =\

A

AlphaBenson

I could only think of two games where I could see myself as the hero. BioShock 2 and Halo Reach. This is because they were first person games, and I never saw their faces, so it was easy to imagine my face underneath their helmet. I could never play Zelda and project myself onto Link, so dialogue wouldn't hurt.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
I don't know if giving Link the ability to speak would go over well (I wouldn't mind it), however I myself am all for giving Link his own character and emotions.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I totally agree that there should be voice acting in LoZ. It's the future of game design and I really don't want to see Zelda left behind!

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
I think it wouldn't be too bad, but either way ppl with complain. I wouldn't mind actually. I like his grunts and "HYAAAAAA" voice acting but if they were to give him an actual voice actor....oh boy Nintendo...oh boy....Like in Metroid: Other M, I couldnt stand samus' voice actor, it was soooo robotic. I'd Link just to really stay silent, but going back to the text boxes, Nintendo would have to pick Link's word carefully or they may just give him a lame personality :S dont get me wrong im open to change, but there are certain zelda elements that should not be changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom