• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Link - Should He Be Accompanied by a Companion or Ride Solo?

Djinn

and Tonic
This was one of the reasons I really liked Midna. I like a companion character that is genuinely helpful for gameplay abilities and tricks while also takes a huge part in the story along with Link. And she was not just some Hyrule wikipedia for monster info. A character that follows Link around and is a part of the journey alongside him should be just as important as he to the overall story. Navi was for the most part a background character that only Link noticed on most occasions and Fi was only sometimes noticed. She hardly interacted with any other side characters,when she did it was rarely more than conversation. Midna had a huge personality that dwarfed nearly everyone else's at the same time. I enjoyed this especially since Link is commonly portrayed as having little to no personality of his own, has no speaking parts, and not much of a presence in the storyline. Midna took his place as the vocal main character that dealt with characters and situations, talked about what was going on and commented on various happenings. She had a deep history that involved the main villain, and grew as a character throughout the course of the game. On top of that she had several abilities that the player could exploit in the game such as her ability to circle an area so that Wolf Link could attack all enemies within that region, the teleport jump trick, and her ability to make portals.

Due to this I would love for there to be more companions that make a larger impact on the story and the gameplay. Having an information gathering character is nice but I would rather have one that is more useful in direct gameplay such as combat or getting around in the world more easily. Plus again I liked how Midna's personality mostly took the place of Link's lack of one. I would not mind seeing a bit more of that in the future as well. Some basic helper characters have always been something I liked whenever it has occurred in the series. The sequences in WW when you had Makar and Medli following you around was much more fun since it gave me different styles of gameplay as well as someone else to play as other than Link for a change. The helper character does not always have to be just a fight capable as Link, but someone who could fly or reach certain areas more easily than Link would be incredibly useful in a game that emphasizes exploration and puzzle solving as much as Zelda.

The information characters I would much rather have as someone that I could go to or consult later on like a fortune teller, Sahasrala, or the King of Red Lions. Not so much a constant companion that is always there commenting on how scary the red dragon you are fighting is or what percentage of the creature is vegetable.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Yes, I can see how optional information would just RUIN your game. /sarcasm.

1) It makes the game easier optional or not. Sorta like Hidden Skills. You can argue you don't have to use them and implement your own challenge, but it's still there and still makes the game easier.

2) Define "optional". Fi buzzing around my head going "Hey! Hey! Wanna hear some info? Why haven't you ask for info! I have info for you! Please! Please! Use my info! Want to see how well you're doing on this enemy? I can tell you. Just ask for some info!" is using the term loosely.

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
I will always want a partner. I've always liked the partners, even if they were sometimes a little annoying. Plus, it wouldn't seem as fun if Link went alone on his adventure.
The game would be boring in my opinion. So I will always want a partner.

zellinkda

one of many
I think link should either ride solo, or bring back a previous or similar character companion. People forget that the first few zelda games, Link rode solo. A companion wasn't really prominent until around Link's awakening-- that is if you consider that owl guy you see after each dungeon a companion. a real partner didn't really show up until Ocarina of Time with the ever-annoying Navi. If he rode solo, it might remind people what that was like to ride without someone tapping on your shoulder every ten seconds. However, this may be more difficult for newer zelda players, as the companions were used to help the player when stumped. If he does have a companion, I think it should be one that may bring back nostalgia for old zelda players and persuade newer players to play the game that included the companion when he or she was first featured.

either have him ride completely solo or give him a companion that says either very little or gives helpful advice such as the king of red lions did in the windwaker

I think there should at least be a system to help get you back on your feet every once in awhile. I was actually a little annoyed by the King of Red Lions in The Wind Waker for the same reason most people seem to appreciate him: he just doesn't give you a whole lot of info. Sometimes I jump back into the game after a fair absence and forget what I'm supposed to be doing, and having the King of Red Lions tell me the same recycled mumbo-jumbo about saving the world doesn't really help. Or if I've forgotten how to use a basic function or puzzle-solving device and the King still doesn't tell me anything useful. Occasionally he would ring you up and tell you something important, but he wasn't really around for any kind of help.

A perfect example of this annoyance is after you've learned about the Master Sword's dullness and need to find the Earth and Wind Sages to restore its power. I spent a lot of time thinking I could get into the Wind Temple first when it turns out you really need to go to the Earth Temple first. Nothing in the game tells you the Wind Temple is second in line, not even the King of Red Lions who I repeatedly turned to for direction when I couldn't enter the Wind Temple. If we're going to have someone to give advice, they need to give advice, not attempt to spur you on with canned dialogue.

To get back on track, I'd like for Zelda games to alternate between solo Link and Link with a traveling companion, mostly for story purposes. There are all kinds of ways players can receive hints and tips, so a companion isn't really necessary for that. Story-wise, I think Midna was the best companion; she genuinely evolved as a character throughout the plot and regularly told you things you wanted to know, not just what the developers thought you should know. (Of course, as a part of gameplay, she was nearly useless, but....) Conversely, Link traveling solo puts the spotlight more on the player, since they're the ones slaying evil and solving puzzles, and they do it all with no help and no advice!

What else can we do with companions? What about an evil spirit (or even Dark Link) who invades Link's mind and tries to use him for its own sinister ends? Or a kidnapped Princess Zelda communicating to him via telepathy? Or a whole host of people that can use telepathy or magical means of communication? They should be central to the plot, grow as characters, and preferably be something we haven't seen before. We've had three fairies so far. Let's do something different for awhile.

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
I like the idea of an optional companion. Link normally goes it alone but can call on a companion when stuck. This will cost him rupees though, which would give the player the incentive to attempt an area without assistance first. There would also be different companions Link could choose but he can only choose one at a time. For instance, one companion would be good at giving tips for battles but not go good with puzzles. Another companion would be strong in the opposite areas. Could make for interesting gameplay.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I think Link can go solo again.
Since we have the Sheikah Stones telling us how to do things now, Link doesn't need hints/instructions from companions.

For those who like some of the trivia about places and characters, you could have a library with the bios and such.

jack546

The chosen one
I think that the zelda formula should not be broken a charater like tael or navi can be useful for first time players.

H

Hyliancourage14

Link's companions over the series have made me feel less lonely when playing. so, yes. i hope there is another companion in the next title.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I'd like temporary companions like in TWW who play active roles in some dungeons. Give them variable skills sets and equipment

Ultimately I don't really mind. The only time they are of any use is when they give hints towards certain puzzles in dungeons/Temples, but then most of the time I can figure out most of the puzzles anyway. There is probably gonna be a companion in the next Zelda game anyway, but like I say I ain't really fussed. All I will say though is I hope they don't make a companion like Kersti from Paper Mario Sticker Star, she was not helpful at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom