• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Should Have a Voice!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's true the game CAN work without dialogue... we're just thinking that it would be more immersive in terms of storyline if Link had greater interaction with the characters rather than just (not even saying) IMPLYING "yes" or "no"

Then why say he should have a voice? :hmm:

Zelda: Please help me defeat Ganondorf!
Player: No. I'm busy.
Link: Yes.
Player::mad:

When is anything like this ever implied?

Then why say he should have a voice? :hmm:

When is anything like this ever implied?

Read the second clause lol

when link nods, it's strongly suggested that he agrees. When he looks sad or angry, it's strongly suggested he's sad or angry.

I'm not saying link has to scream "I AM ANGRY" every time he's angry, but, again, refer to the second part of my sentence. (Which I edited to make it slightly more accurate)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Read the second clause lol

when link nods, it's strongly suggested that he agrees. When he looks sad or angry, it's strongly suggested he's sad or angry.

I'm not saying link has to scream "I AM ANGRY" every time he's angry, but, again, refer to the second part of my sentence. (Which I edited to make it slightly more accurate)

I see what you're saying, but that's part of what makes Zelda so unique. Link (and other characters) generally have over-exaggerated actions to express things.

I see what you're saying, but that's part of what makes Zelda so unique. Link (and other characters) generally have over-exaggerated actions to express things.

Indeed. I'm still expecting voice acting for other characters, including Link, as the series makes it's way into the next-gen. Even if there's no chance of Link ever having a voice, I expect other characters to speak. As someone mentioned, Oblivion has a mute main character, and there's still voice acting. So I think it can be done.

Link has his own personality with or without dialogue. I would simply prefer him to have dialogue.

I disagree about giving Link a voice. It's become one of the mainstays of Zelda games for Link to not have a voice. It would give him too much personality and the story being told would be completely different. Link not having a voice is perfect for the style of the stories in Zelda games. And what if they make a bad choice for voice actor? It would completely ruin the game for most people. I don't even think we will get to the point of other characters having speech. I enjoy the way Twilight Princess's dialogue is, where they speak and have a voice but what they are saying is subtitled.

Look at YouTube videos of the CDi Zelda games, it will change your mind about wanting Link to have a voice lol

I agree with illmatic. I don't agree with link having an actual voice for these reasons:

A voice gives him a personality. Personality isn't bad of course, but one of the themes of the zelda series and the themes of many nintendo franchises in general, is that you don't just play the characters -- you ARE the characters. Miyamoto has set up the storyline to get you immersed in it, and if he defined everything about link's character, it would feel more impersonal, at least in my opinion, to play as link. I like the fact that Miyamoto gives you choices and likes to inspire imagination in the players of his games.

Without link having a voice, you get to choose and imagine many things about him. That's what makes it fun -- putting yourself into the character, not simply playing as a pre-defined character.

Another reason why link, in my opinion, shouldn't have a voice; the text boxes. Seemingly not a big deal, but I prefer to read at my own speed what the characters are saying, and i'd rather not just hear it. Obviously there could be both text and written dialogue, but I prefer text.

Besides, the zelda cartoon was bad enough in terms of dialogue ... I don't want to hear link say "excuuuuuse me, princess" anytime soon.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
What is wrong with not talking? Seriously, Nintendo isn't being lazy, Zelda just doesn't need voice acting. Giving Link a voice would mean he has a defined personality, wich is not good in Zelda, since Link is a link, between the player and the game...

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
What is wrong with not talking? Seriously, Nintendo isn't being lazy, Zelda just doesn't need voice acting. Giving Link a voice would mean he has a defined personality, wich is not good in Zelda, since Link is a link, between the player and the game...

I don't think the other characters having voice acting is a bad thing. Just Link. I mean, just look at Metroid Prime 3 for that one.

(Huh. Maybe that's part of the reason people didn't like Other M as much. Samus actually had a voice, so it wasn't like they were Samus in a sense. I'd never thought of that. Probably not a big reason, but maybe an underlying one that went undetected.)

boko bob

A boko named Bob...
Just link having a voice would change the whole dynamic of the games, and i'm not sure it would change it in a good way.

In Prime 3, everybody talks except Samus. This actually worked pretty well. I think it would take away some of the fairytalness of Zelda to have people talking, the way it is now, it's like watching and reading a book (<-makes no sense?

In Prime 3, everybody talks except Samus. This actually worked pretty well. I think it would take away some of the fairytalness of Zelda to have people talking, the way it is now, it's like watching and reading a book (<-makes no sense?

Worked in Metroid, but Zelda is a different franchise. Not sure if it would work for link's character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom