• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Raised Volvagia.

Interesting...personally, I quite like the idea. It gives room for specualtion, that, If the Manga ever was canon, to how Volvagia died the first time...

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Holy crap, what?
Please provide an interview quote which states this explicitly.
I'll just quote a post I made a while ago... I was sure that I made the post on this forum at some point, too. Anyway:

Recently, Crazyfreak, a member of the Zelda community (look up Zeldanime, the Zelda doujinshi project), has provided some translated highlights of an interview on the Zelda manga. As it turns out- brace yourselves- the manga (at least, the OoT one) is 100% canon.
Translated Highlights:
"Akira Himekawa(the artist Honda) at first wanted to make an exact replica of the game but decided not to. Nintendo actually gave them advice in which direction they should go. This time they wanted to focus on the personalities, thoughts and history of characters.

Eiji Aunoma agrees with Honda. He says he develops the games but cannot introduce all the elements the Zelda team actually wish for.
The manga makes this up for them by filling the gaps in Zelda "precisely"

They talk about the watatara race which was a big inspiration for the Rito tribe in Windwaker Akira Himekawa created a bird race, because at that time there wasn't a race filling up the sky (like Zora's with water, Gorons with mountains)

Eiji Aunoma says the Zelda team wanted Link to fly, But they preferred to leave that imagination to the fans. Furthermore he adds up that he thinks the personality they gave Link in the manga fits with the personality most players will have of him."

The manga contradicts what a lot of fans already had in their heads (in some cases, even my own), but what the creators/owners say goes, really. So far, only the OoT manga is confirmed canon, so the others are up in the air at this point.

It's neat that Nintendo will use other forms of media to expand on what happens in the games. It's especially useful for games that are old and not financially worth remaking. Perhaps they'll continue using this form of work to update the story (and perhape timeline someday maybemaybemaybe?!?!?!) so we can have a better grasp of the ways things are supposed to be.

So... yeah, a lot of stuff in the manga is way different, but those are the changes the guys in charge want, and ultimately, it's their choice. Can't say I like all the changes, but I do appreciate that they are focusing on filling in holes and working on details.

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
Hmm. Well thanks for getting that. This is interesting.

Oh well. There goes the zelda universe of canon. Everyone's theories are destroyed!

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
But the manga cut out Bongo Bongo! Does he not exist now? Dark Link appeared in Kakarico Village when you fight him in the water temple! That is a contradictory statement if I ever heard of one.
Heck, there isn't even any mention of the Watarara race in any future games despite the manga being 100% canon ! How can anyone consider the manga canon if it has holes in it?

Pinecove

Last Chance
Taking the translation to Milkjamjuice on ZI and MikePeters sucks on LA right now.

If the translation posted above is true than I say we have some serious theories to re-consider. Also Note it FILLS THE GAPS which means it doesn't prove anything as not Canon it just means that some aspects we see in the manga which we don't in the game are Canon.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Oi vey, the Zelda Manga is 100% canon?! (What are all those smilies? Those are the Smilies of Evil)

This contradicts so many things! Bongo Bongo wasn't there and Impa trained Link not to mention he didn't even go into the Shadow Temple! Dark Link came out of the Kakariko Well instead and that happened before you got the Fire Medallion (I think). Link encounters almost all of the bosses at the entrance of the dungeon and Mido gave him the bow in the Forest Temple while none of that happened either! Link actually makes the Slingshot instead of finding it inside the Deku Tree, Nabooru helps him out in the Spirit Temple whereas in the game she is brainwashed by Twinrova to try to kill Link, Link saved and befriended Volvagia whereas in the game he just comes to the Fire Temple and kills him, he doesn't meet Goro Link, Shiek helps him out after Link falls into a lava pit, Shiek doesn't teach Link a single song, Link never meets a single Great Fairy, he doesn't pick up Heart Containers or Pieces of Heart, he doesn't pick up recovery hearts or bombs or arrows from grass and pots, Shiek's true identity is revealed at the Spirit Temple, and finally Link does not dispel barriers at Ganon's Castle! *his brain explodes from the mass oof contradictions*

But moving on, I think it's pretty cool how Link and Volvagia became friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinecove

Last Chance
his contradicts so many things! Bongo Bongo wasn't there and Impa trained Link not to mention he didn't even go into the Shadow Temple! Dark Link came out of the Kakariko Well instead and that happened before you got the Fire Medallion (I think). Link encounters almost all of the bosses at the entrance of the dungeon and Mido gave him the bow in the Forest Temple while none of that happened either! Link actually makes the Slingshot instead of finding it inside the Deku Tree, Nabooru helps him out in the Spirit Temple whereas in the game she is brainwashed by Twinrova to try to kill Link, Link saved and befriended Volvagia whereas in the game he just comes to the Fire Temple and kills him, he doesn't meet Goro Link, Shiek helps him out after Link falls into a lava pit, Shiek doesn't teach Link a single song, Link never meets a single Great Fairy, he doesn't pick up Heart Containers or Pieces of Heart, he doesn't pick up recovery hearts or bombs or arrows from grass and pots, Shiek's true identity is revealed at the Spirit Temple, and finally Link does not dispel barriers at Ganon's Castle! *his brain explodes from the mass oof contradictions*

But moving on, I think it's pretty cool how Link and Volvagia became friends.
:dry:

...Eiji Aunoma agrees with Honda. He says he develops the games but cannot introduce all the elements the Zelda team actually wish for. The manga makes this up for them by filling the gaps in Zelda "precisely"

It only FILLS IN GAPS!!!!! The Game itself is still Canon. What's in the manga is just Canon aswell.

Understand?

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
It only FILLS IN GAPS!!!!! The Game itself is still Canon. What's in the manga is just Canon aswell.

Understand?

Which gaps does it fill? What parts of the manga do we take and put into the canon and which parts do we get rid of? We can't include everything in the Manga or else we'd contradict game dialogue.

Pinecove

Last Chance
Exactly why I'm so iffy on the matter.

If the manga is Canon then it explains things which weren't explained in the game such as how Link got his earing etc. However for things like Volvagia, I say Game >Manga.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Exactly why I'm so iffy on the matter.

If the manga is Canon then it explains things which weren't explained in the game such as how Link got his earing etc. However for things like Volvagia, I say Game >Manga.

First you'd better say where that situation takes place....

Let me see, it can take place just after the water temple when Link did face his clone. He then goes to the village, but doesn't get Epona because that's been shown in the game.

This isn't going to be easy.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
It was only a manga. I think the author only wanted to spice the story up. Wouldn't you want something a little better than the original storyline?

Pinecove

Last Chance
Okay I've figured it out: Order of events doesn't matter. However so long as the event took place, it's fine. For all contradictory stuff Game > manga however for all stuff not shown in OoT but shown in the Manga then Manga > game.

....which means there's a race of bird people in OoT which aren't the rito...and the devs have confirmed the zora evolved into the rito......crap.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
*shrug* Like most already know, updates have higher priority than originals. For instance, Link woke up with earrings in-game. In the manga, he receives them from Impa in Kakariko Village. Since Aonuma is in charge and the manga is more recent, events in the manga replace the game's canon.

Holes, yes. Lots of 'em. But the entire Zelda series has holes in it, so... like it or hate it, it's not up to us to decide what is or isn't canon. I think that if these changes were made in the form of a game remake fans would be more accepting of the changes, but Nintendo obviously does not want to do that- it takes up too many resources, time, and money. Maybe they'll use other forms of updating the stories and fillings in the gaps... manga is cool, but not everybody reads (or likes) it.

So, yes, the manga fills in gaps. In places where the manga contradicts the games, we have to assume the manga is correct because it is more recent, as this is the common rule of canon (example: Link started out as an elf. He is now not an elf, but a Hylian).

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Grrr , when I make animated movies in the future I swear I hope Nintendo likes my ideas for Majora's Mask better than the manga because I hated that manga (totally ruined the game.)

Note: You know, speaking of adaptions. Miyamoto actually enjoyed the Mario movie and said it only suffered because it stayed too close to the games.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
grrr , when I make animated movies in the future I swear I hope Nintendo likes my ideas for Majora's Mask better than the manga because I hated that manga (totally ruined the game.)
Get working on it, then! XD So far, the only manga that's confirmed canon is OoT, but who knows about MM.... Personally, I didn't care much for the MM manga, either.

Who knows- maybe if you put a lot of effort and dedication into some animation movies, Nintendo might take up your ideas! :>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom