• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link, Officially Right Handed Now?

Thatlinkisaspy!

(not really)
To me it doesn't matter if Link is Left or Right Handed but keep in mind he was right handed so far in only the Wii Twilight Princess and the Oot 3d master quest (In both the world was mirrored aswell). Maybe Nintendo will include a switch sword hand option.

I prefer left handed Link, and I also noticed that on the WiiU demo, it also bothered me because on the demo the player was using the WiiU controller, not a wiimote, so I see no reason to put a right handed Link on a game that uses button and an annalog stick...

I am right handed, but I also find it unfair not to make a left hand option for the game. There are other games that give this option like wii sport resort and such ( I don't really like those games, so I haven't really played them, but I'm preety sure they do have that option).

I just find it nice the fact that Link is a lefty, and seeing him holding the sword on his right hand doesn't look right for me either... Sure there are other things that affect more of the game, but it does bother me, and the fact that they make the game only for right handed people seems like Nintendo is being a little lazy....

About the Master Quest on OoT3DS (which I haven't played btw) I don't understand why make him right handed there either. Is the 3DS Master Quest just a mirrored version of the game? Kinda like Mirror cup on Mario Kart? If so, why did they do that? Why not put the GC Master Quest with uptaded graphics? ANd why flip Link's model with the rest of the game?

H

Hyliantx3

To me, changing Link's Left-handedness is no different than changing his outfit's color or a complete revamp... Its a character trait that set him apart, Now hes kinda just another boring swordsman... siiiighhhh..... And since nintendo refuses to go back to a traditional control style, we can expect link to probably even start switching to a righty even in 3DS games... Oh well, Nintendo sure likes to boast about tradition, but they really messed it up this time around.

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
I don't understand why people get upset over which is Link's dominant hand. A lot of things bothered me about the Wii version of Twilight Princess, but Link being right-handed wasn't one of them. I never even raised an eyebrow at it.
Does it affect gameplay in any way (motion controls excluded)? Why does it matter what hand Link uses to slash Moblins or Octoroks? To me, there are a lot more important things to talk about when it comes to artistic choices made by the developers.

Besides, I would really like more variety in Zelda games. After all, all the Links are different people (do they all need to be named Link?)

I agree with you on the point that it DOESN'T MATTER whether he's left or right handed.

But what I don't agree with you on is that you don't think they should all be named Link. Link is the one hero in all the games and if they changed his name or changed him, it would make the whole series feel very different and I wouldn't like it.

I believe at the beginning of the game it is going to ask you if you are right or left handed, and link will be whatever you answer. If they didnt do this all the left handed people would feel really awkward controlling links sword hand.

I agree with you on the point that it DOESN'T MATTER whether he's left or right handed.

But what I don't agree with you on is that you don't think they should all be named Link. Link is the one hero in all the games and if they changed his name or changed him, it would make the whole series feel very different and I wouldn't like it.
I didn't say he shouldn't be named Link. I was just saying that they all don't have to be named Link, and really there is no confirmation that the hero in every single Zelda game is named Link.
How would the series feel different anyway? It would still feel like Zelda to me, as log as it fits in the overall timeline and has some of the same signature story and gameplay elements from the series. For example, I would love for Nintendo to make a Zelda game starring Gustaf as the hero, or a game that could bridge Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, which we know could not star Link, as there was no hero to stop the flood.
It may sound like blasphemy, but I think the more variety there is in Zelda, the better, as long as it has a decent story and gameplay.

Agent Spaghetti

Advanced Noodle
it really shouldn't matter. He looks great either way. But I would suggest that Nintendo released a left-handed version of the game, even if its on a different disk.

I don't think it matters, he is not going to be a boring swordsman just because he uses his right hand.
And actually... I don't see why nintendo made Link right handed in twilight princess and skyward sword, I mean, is it really hard to play with your right hand when Link is holding his sword with his left hand? if it is, can someone explain to me why?
(Maybe you can say it's hard in skyward sword, but Twilight princess Wii swordplay is just like the gamecube one, the only difference is that you don't press a button, you swing your wii remote, how is that hard to play with a left-handed Link???)

About the Master Quest on OoT3DS (which I haven't played btw) I don't understand why make him right handed there either.
Is the 3DS Master Quest just a mirrored version of the game? Kinda like Mirror cup on Mario Kart? If so, why did they do that? Why not put the GC Master Quest with uptaded graphics? ANd why flip Link's model with the rest of the game?
Being the mirrored version of the original quests, is only one of the features from the master quest in OoT 3d.

The dominant hand of Link tradition being broken does not bother me. It was needed for the Wii. What does bother me is they broke the tradition of Octorocks in every game.

I think one of the reasons why I like the fact that he is left handed has something to do with what Hyliantx3 said. Not only that, but also, in the past being left handed used to be considered wrong, my mom is a lefty and when she was in school the teachers tied her left hand on her back, saying that she was wrong and that the correct was to write with her right hand, which for her was unnatural. So I think it is pretty cool to see the hero of a franchise holding his sword with his left hand, how often do you see that? It's kinda like Paul McCartney being part of one of the most famous bands in the world and playing his bass "on the wrong side", it's just that cool.

EDIT People posted while I was writing xD

@Luansnt aaww, too bad, that doesn't really feel like Master Quest, it's as if WiiTP is the Master Quest for GCTP

@Luansnt aaww, too bad, that doesn't really feel like Master Quest, it's as if WiiTP is the Master Quest for GCTP
they said it makes you feel like you're playing the game for the first time again, never played so I can't say nothing about this...

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
No. Link has been left-handed in practically every other game (not counting the NES ones, you can't tell anyway). He's only right-handed in TP and SS because of the Wiimote, and about 85% of the population is right-handed. Though 1 in 100 people are ambidextrous, my sisters and my friend are.

But yeah, he'll always be a lefty because they're more unique than being right-handed.

Pen

The game is on!
Actually, if one looks at the artworks for the original The Legend of Zelda Link is right-handed there. However, from AoL all the way to ST Link was left-handed (except for the TP Wii version). Now I guess Link will be right-handed in the upcoming Zelda titles in which you use the motion controls like a sword. So if there comes a brand new Zelda game for the 3DS eventually, I think that Link will be left-handed for sure.

Actually, if one looks at the artworks for the original The Legend of Zelda Link is right-handed there.

That's true, but his in-game sprite is left handed. In the game he clearly holds the shield with his right hand and sword with his left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom