• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link, Officially Right Handed Now?

hi people

we all know how link was turned right handed in the wii version of TP, then we get SS, where he is also right handed.

at first it bothered me, now it doesnt, not really, but what I mean comes after watching the wii U tech demo, i mean:

Twilight-Princess-WiiU-e1307471652982.jpg

so, what is this image telling us? I can say two things

-it means that link is now officially right handed?

-it means the future zelda games in wii u are gonna be controlled by 1:1 motion controls as in SS (or better, of course)

so, what do you think? if there was a new no-remake 3ds zelda game, link would be right handed?

cya :)

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
If SS uses the wii motion plus to work, then Link will be right-handed in that for the same reason -- because more people statistically (it is assumed) are right handed rather than left handed. I imagine any of the games that will rely on people to flail the remote to use the sword will have a right-handed Link instead of the standard left-handed.

Link is never right-handed, the games are just mirrored. Even SS.

I'm kidding. I don't know what Nintendo is going to do, but all my life Link has been left-handed and that's what he will always be to me. Right-handed Link doesn't look right.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
There's something that's always baffled me when it comes to argument on whether Link is Left-handed or Right-handed:

....do people seem to forget that there's more than one Link? Who's to say that one incarnation of Link can't be left-handed, and another right-handed? For some reason people always seem to refer to Link being left-handed as if there's only a single Link, or as if they all have to have the same dominant hand....they don't. For example, Ocarina Link can be left-handed without necessitating Twilight Link being left-handed. They're different people so it's acceptable for them to be different.

Or if you want....you could just call every Link in general ambidextrous~ I think that would solve the problem~ :P

I don't understand why people get upset over which is Link's dominant hand. A lot of things bothered me about the Wii version of Twilight Princess, but Link being right-handed wasn't one of them. I never even raised an eyebrow at it.
Does it affect gameplay in any way (motion controls excluded)? Why does it matter what hand Link uses to slash Moblins or Octoroks? To me, there are a lot more important things to talk about when it comes to artistic choices made by the developers.

Besides, I would really like more variety in Zelda games. After all, all the Links are different people (do they all need to be named Link?) and I think there should be more differences between them. I loved that you could wear your conductors clothes in Spirit Tracks (or so I've heard, I haven't played it yet) and I think Link being right handed showcases that variety even more.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
One Link does not necessarily equal all the others, characters in the franchise have changed hair colours at times so why not have hand changes to further differentiate them?

Either way, TP Link was simply made right-handed through a game flip to suit the assumed majority of wii players. It was a design mechanic to effectively make the game more comfortable to play, who can honestly say that they wouldn’t get thrown off if they swung right and Link swung left? SS Link could be right-handed for a similar reason however there’s one point that could simply make future Links in general be ambidextrous.

Options.

Several motion control based games initially ask the player which hand they use, the game then effectively adjusts certain gameplay features to suit that hand. It’s entirely possible that, should the franchise continue to use motion controls for console games, Link will change hands based on the player’s choice.

B

Bocaj910

One thing that made it feel like I had even more of a connection with the series was that Link was always left-handed, as am I. It's unfortunate (and an indignity) that there is no lefty mode for SS. I know it will possibly still be compatible with lefties, but it just won't feel... right. I understand the statistics fall in favor of righties, and thus it must be made for them, but is it really that difficult? Couldn't they just reverse Link's sprite? I hate to seem like a complainer, but this a a huge annoyance to me.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
To be pefectly honest, I don't see the big deal. For me, I couldn't care less which hand is his dominant hand. Does it affect the gameplay? No. Does it make the game look any less cool if he's right-handed? Not at all. For me, Link being left-handed or right-handed is like the Master Sword's hilt being blue or purple. It simply doesn't matter. If it does matter to you, that's fine. But what I'm trying to say here is, I prefer not to nit-pick.

Last edited:
I am really disappointed that Link is Right Handed in future Wii Game but I guess its whether we like it or not, I choose not.

They could've just make a Wii Remote to be able to play Left and Right Handed. If picking dominant hand is too much for the game itself then they should make the game Left Handed Only. If most of the people are Right Handed they could try to learn being Left Hand. I'm Right Handed and I'm willing try to learn how to use Left Hand.

it's most likely just for the sake of the wiimote, but they should have a left hand option because i have a cousin who's left handed and he can't play these games very well if there's no left handed option, which is one of the downsides of the Wii's motion controles every game would need to have this feature but most of them (or the ones i've played at least) don't have it and even Microsoft's Kinect suffers from the same thing, i don't know about the Playstation Move though

I'm left handed myself, but if given the option to play a Zelda game on the Wii with either hand, I would choose to play with my right.

It's because of the control stick for me. I'm so used to having it under my left thumb. Buttons under my right. It's been like that for the Gamecube and the DS. (The only other Nintendo systems I've owned.)

I've always liked that Link was left handed because I could relate, but It's really not that big of a deal. Game play is more important to the series anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom