• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link in the Green Tunic?

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
Hi there! I'm new to the forum and I want to start by making a new thread about something I'm sure all of you have noticed, but I haven't found any discussion about: in the images about Skyward Sword Link wears the green tunic!

It's ok, i mean, why should they change it, right? Well, because this game takes place before the Hero of Time!

It would have been strange for them to change something like that, actually the only thing that makes Link recognizable, but this game's Link is not the same, his story is different, he lived over the clouds, not in the Kokiri Forest!

Since Wind Waker, Nintendo seem to be caring about the timeline, so couldn't they take this occasion to try something new?

Now, it may be just me, a fanatic of the timeline to be bothered, but I know there are lots of other fanatics in here, so what do you think?
Are they going to change his clothes right before the release as a surprise? Are they going to explain for the third time (also counting Minish Cap) the origin of Link's clothes? Or it doesn't really matter because to you the Four Sword series took place before OoT anyway?

J

jack-o-lantern

First I'd Like to say welcome to the forums! :D I'm a relatively new member myself and so far everythings been great, so have fun! Anyway... back on topic. What I think the reason is, is because he may planted the deku tree or did something important for the kokiri. This in turn made them wear his clothes in honor of him. That, or it could just be NIntendos placeholder for links model.

O

OceanicTempus

First and foremost, the clothes are there for idenity. It doesn't matter where it is on the timeline, Link will be wearing his green tunic through 99% of the game.

As for a story explaination, I believe Minish cap was the first in the game's chronological order, and another Link-entity was depicted with green clothes in the intro, which explained past events.

Really, there is almost no explaination of the green clothes as far as at what point they were "invented" at... just a few bits of general history.

Link19x

Freak on a leash xp
I always thought link got his green tunic because he was a kokiri in oot, and the generations of heros after that wore green tunics in honor of him. so I agree with jack-o-lantern, maybe the kokirir wear the green tunics in honor of Link from skyward sword.

D

Dark_Link

Link's in his green tunic is his icon it's what most people will remember him wearing thats like saying Mario should wear Black overalls and a white undershirt as a normal costume.

Djinn

and Tonic
The green tunic is iconic to Link's look. It has been ever since the beginning so I doubt Nintendo would change that.

However I do think the various origins of the green tunic are interesting. Finding a very first one origin might not happen but I did like how Link of OoT was imitating the Kokiri and wearing their dress. Since at the time of OoT release it was the earliest game in the whole timeline and did a decent job of explaining the reasons behind Link wearing green with a small hat. While WW took this a little further making the wearing of a green tunic part of a coming of age ceremony to honor the Link of OoT changing the name from Kokiri tunic to Hero's clothes. Then it was taken even further than that in ST where all guards and soldiers in Hyrule wore a version of Link's costume to commemorate the Link of WW who helped them discover that land creating the tradition that heroes and warriors wear green.

Obviously the people of Hyrule would not recognize the green tunics as common Kokiri clothing since they remain hidden in the forest and keep to themselves. However Link was well known to all people through his adventure and became known as the great hero that saved Hyrule so the green clothing became a symbol of the hero. This was further expanded on in WW when Link reminded all the older being of Hyrule such as the Deku Tree and King of Red Lions of the hero of time. In Twilight Princess it was still considered a traditional costume of a hero and not Kokiri clothing. The light spirit Faron claimed that it was the same tunic worn by the Link of OoT.

Look at your awakened form... The green tunic that is your garb once belonged to the ancient hero chosen by the gods... His power is yours. His is the true power that slept within you." — Faron

Another thing to consider is the fact that green is the color of Farore, the goddess of courage. Whom Link often represents and sometimes carries the triforce of courage, a piece of the essence of Farore. Link of OoT came from the forest realm which reveres Farore, Link of TP comes from a similar forest region and is told by the light spirit Faron that he is to become the new hero. It would make sense that the goddess of courage would also be the patron of heroes and that any hero courageous enough to take on the challenge of saving Hyrule would wear the color sacred to the goddess. As the creator of life in Hyrule it is understandable that she would occasionally appoint someone to be the protector of that life in the form of a hero chosen by the gods. To defend that life from others who would abuse power and cause harm.

farore_oracle_display.png

images

Creation1.gif

Tune_of_Echoes.png

Farore is always the green one among the three. Her symbol is green and she is closely related to the forest element. The great fairy of the forest in FSA also wears green and has hair very similar to the oracle Farore. So the hero of Hyrule wearing a green tunic might have an origin much older than the Link of OoT as green is a very important color to the goddess of courage. So any hero with the courage enough to take on villains and monsters would be seen wearing it even if they were ignorant of the real reason behind the tradition.

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
Another thing to consider is the fact that green is the color of Farore, the goddess of courage.

Yeah, this is the best explanation I can think of! So even the Hero of Time while wearing the Kokiri tunic was actually wearing the color of courage... So every Link before or after him are going to wear the same regardless why. A Link living after the HoT may wear green as an homage to him but that's just an excuse to wear green!

Anyway now that I think of it a possible explanation to this Link's clothes could be that green is not only the color of forest, but also of wind! As in Minish Cap the Wind Element is green!Windelement.gif

i always assumed that all links except oot's link wears green based on the fact the hero of time wore it. link will wear a green shirt or tunic he always does. and they will explain it in some way or another like they always do. in oot they showed why. link wore what all other kokiri wore. in tp they told you that the clothes had been the previous hero's who was oot's link. they will make it make sense they usually do. either by showing us or telling us.

M

magicgfx

I hope he stays in the green tunic, but I hope there is options or special tunics for certain missions, I was always a big fan of those.

Maybe even getting different colors unlocked via side quests.

M

messymessiah

no dude this is absurd. link will wear the green tunic. why would they just switch up tunics to "surprise" us before release. id be highly pissed. i dont think nintendo would do that. ever.

Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess had their origin of the Green Tunic but I wonder what will be Skyward Sword's version of Green Tunic origin? I'm pretty excited and curious about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom