• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link, Hylian, or Ordonian?

OotLord1003

Young Link
Okay, Link is probably a ordonian (since the oil lantern guy calls you an one). But he was mentioned to be the true hero, so link in Oot was a hylian, so was link from WW, but is the hero of the twili is an ordonian farm wrangler?

Zelda_Queen

Hick Hylian
its complicated. ordonians refer to those who live in the ordona province. hylians refer to a certain race. he is BOTH. like an italian who lives in washington. he is both italian and washaingtonian (i think thats how u say it.). ok thats wat i think. iv sad it. by.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
Yeah, it's like what Zelda_Queen said. Personally, I'm English, and I live in America. I'm still American, I just have English heritage. It just depends on how you're asking if that makes any sense.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Yeah, it's pretty much what's been said. Idk why Nintendo had to go and make things complex.
Anyway, TP Link is Hylian by race, and Ordonian by the area he lives. If he actually lived over the border in Hyrule, he'd be Hylian by race, but Hyrulean by the area he lives in (Hyrule). Since he lives in Ordon, that make him Ordonian, as Coro (the lantern guy) says.

Though someone who is Ordonian by race has rounded/blunt ears (e.g. Rusl, Malo, Ilia etc), so Link must be Hylian as his are pointed.

Though someone who is Ordonian by race has rounded/blunt ears (e.g. Rusl, Malo, Ilia etc), so Link must be Hylian as his are pointed.

Wow, never noticed that before. Guess I didn't take the time to look at everyone's ears. =P I dismissed the idea that "Ordonian" might be an actual race; I always thought everyone was from the same race and just lived in different areas, but that really sets it in stone I guess. Now I'm begging the question: Where did the "Ordonians" come from even? I guess it doesn't make much sense to think that Hylian is the only "human" (use the term lightly) race in the Zelda world.

Link is a Hylian in any game to my eyes, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess have made my opinion 100% solid that Link is always going to be Hylian. In Ocarina of Time it is stated that (if I remember correctly) Link's mum is a Hylian who's fatally wounded and leave's Link to be looked after by the Great Deku Tree and Kokiri in the forest while his dad was a Hylian soldier.

Twilight Princess show this the difference physically, as NorthApple has stated, any one from Ordon has rounded ears at the top like a human, whereas all of the Hylian people have pointed ears, and Link's ears a cleary of the latter type, thus making me believe that Link is a Hylian.

I've always just seen Ordon as a part of Hyrule though, so I guess Link could be both if you looked at it in that way, but this contradicts the point above. However, if you did look as Ordon as just another region of Hyrule, then Link is a Hylian, being the equivilant of say, being English (I'm using this as I know it best). While Link being an Ordon is the equivilant of some one being from say, Machester, making them Mancunian. I personally don't at it this way, it's just because I've never put enough thought into seperating Hylian's from Ordon's.

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
Link is the only one in Ordon to have hylian ears, so Link is hylian, the others are human ( I think ) although the funny thing is the first artwork for Ilia had pointed ears o_O

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Over here and I guess anywhere in the world if you are from a certain village or town you are always associated with that specific place. Like for instance: He is a New Yorker which means he is from NY. If you look at the map don't you see Ordan province? And isn't a province a part of a country? In my Country it is. I think they are just parts of Hyrule. As soon as you pass Coro you will get into Hyrule Field. Maybe Link has been born in Ordon Village (we don't know that yet of course because it has not been stated) but he is still a Hylian just like everybody said his pointy ears but also because of his ancestors.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I am an Arizonan though I haven't lived in Arizona in years.... just born and raised there. I am a Pennsylvanian, currently (and proud of it)... above this all, I am an American (and proud of it)... and above all this, I'm a human (and not proud of it)...

Ordon is a nation... specifically, some little annex/territory of Hyrule that's not "Hyrule Proper" yet. Ordonian is a nationality/tribal identity, NOT a species or race. Say, if someone were African-American, they can be so without ever setting foot in Africa, and are one-hundred percent American. Same with my own European/Scandinavian-American heritage... I look very Nordic by race, but I've never been to Northern Europe in my life and though I'm not Navajo or Souix in the least, I consider myself one-hundred percent American.

I think most of Ordon is made up of humans, "plain humans" while the occasional Hylian figures in. Given the proximity to native Hyrule, racial mixing will happen. In short, Link is Hylian by *race* and heritage, but Ordonian by location/ where he was raised.... much like how the Hero of Time before him probably considered himself Kokiri most of his life although, by race he was something different.

Ralis

Prince of the Zoras
Well.............That's a hard question to answer. I have a few theories: 1. A Hylian. Like you said, he's the hero of time, and the hero of time wassupposed to appear as a hylian, not an ordonian, so that could be one answer. 2. An Ordonian. Well, he was suposedly born in Ordon, so wouldn't that make him an ordonian? But there is just one problem with that solution. Where are his parents? Or, who were they? They couldn't have been OoT Link and Zelda, because TP must've been, what? Some 200 years later? Of course, Hylians might live longer than humans, so maybe they were. 3. Hylian-Ordonian. This one really depends on what you consider an ordonian. Now, obviously, Hylians are a species, but I'm not so sure about ordonians. Couldn't that just mean that you were born in or lived in ordon VILLAGE? Soooooooooooooo......................That means that he could just be a Hylian that lived in Ordon, right? I think that answe would make the most sense. Unless, of course, to be considered a Hylian, you had to be born as part of the royal family. So, purelocke, you could be right, except if what I said was true. There are many directions that this could go, and if i continued to list them, it would possibly take over 3 hours.

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
Ralis it is pretty simple assuming that Ordon counts as a nationality, Hylians are a race of humans, normal humans are also around in Hyrule, so there is both the nationality and ethnicity of Hylian (which is apperantly slowly blending into normal humanity as of TP). Parents-this isn't a pairing thread, though I think there is more evidence for Link and Malon as TP Link isn't a prince and is a rancher. Also most of the OoT cast was Hylian, it has nothing to do with the Royal Family, the Link bloodline is actually connected to the Hylian Knights, not the Hylian Royal Family.

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
Okay, Link is probably a ordonian (since the oil lantern guy calls you an one). But he was mentioned to be the true hero, so link in Oot was a hylian, so was link from WW, but is the hero of the twili is an ordonian farm wrangler?

Errrm... Link is a hylian. Hylian is a race. Ordonian is just a description of people that live in Ordona. Take me for example, I am a norwegian, but yet I am a human. 'nuff said

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom