• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

...Link Has Fists....

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
With the Wii Motion Plus, I see that it could very well work. The problem is that Link is not a Monk from Final Fantasy or anything like that. Link is a Knight or a Swordsman or something along those lines.

Sure, he's definately gonna be an adult, and thus punching things would be semi realistic without a sword, but look at it this way. Nintendo has said the game will be harder. From the demo we saw at E3, Deku Babas do an entire heart of damage in one hit, and from that we can probably assume that that's an "easy" thing for the game and the "tough" enemies in the game such as Darknuts and Moblins (I personally believe that the imp creatures are actually Bokoblins) would be doing multiple hearts of damage in single hits.

And I imagine punching would be rather awkward or something like that while using a shield. It's obvious that Nintendo wants the controls to be fluid and the like, so that probably won't work. And secondly, I can hardly imagine punching with one hand while holding a shield in the other would be efficient in the slightest, yet, if they took away the shield too, that'd probably alienate the less experienced/non core gamers, and obviously, Nintendo wants the game to be accessable to both and I doubt that they'll end up making it quite THAT hard. Heck, they might even alienate the core gamers too if they took away the shield. But then again, maybe I'm overestimating the toughness of the later enemies.

Still, I highly doubt that punching would be a good thing to have in the swordless sequences. It'd probably be much easier to design them as OoT/MM style stealth sequences as opposed to giving Link epic FF Monk abilities.

That might be an interesting idea. It would be much more practical if Link could beat those Keeses with his fists! On the other hand, I don't know about you guys, but I think sneaking is better than brawling!

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
Maybe Link will not have the sword in some later dungeons, and have to imprvise like in the beginning of the final (final) boss battle in OoT, where the sword gets knocked out of his hand. I just flat-out DO NOT think Nintendo would let Link fist-fight! It would just be way to (low) out of his league!

T

the knight

how about gaining gauntlets to fight?
how about throwing a bokoblin to the side and punching a duku baba like a punch bag:)
although i like the idea of hiding in the dark and creeping up to the enemy and suffocate them
or using the whip yank the enemy into the dark and take them down in the dark

Anubis

The most inactive active
I hope they wont make him use his fists, one of my favorite parts in WW was to sneak around until you found a sword/stick (lol) and kill a ''special'' enemy with it. If Link's gonna use his fists it should be at a time when he has no other choice.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Well, I think and item enabling him to punch and throw down fists is a good idea. Personally I hate sneaking around most because I enjoy fighting alot.
And if there are dungeons without his sword I think it would be a great addition, if well put together. I mean what kind of guy doesn't punch things once in a while? I admit punching a Deku Baba in the face would be sort of awkward on the Wii. But I trust Nintendo if they did decide to try this they could do it well.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
i can imagine we will use Links hands somehow if we can't use his sword or need to do other things like puch huge blocks around the room, but I'm not so sure about fists, Nintenod went as far as slapping and pushing in TP with their sumo wresting, which was something a lot of people liked (myself included) but in SS i cant really see fist fighting or even punching. I could see a throwing motion to smash pots, but i dont really think Link should be able to hit a boss in the face... unless they gave us that abilty as an item! lol like an iron knuckles glove! if they gave us one or even two of these items i would support a punching Link.. I'm not sure why but it seems more plausible to me. Just that he is using an item makes me feel like it's not so bad because he could use it for combat and to solve puzzles. They could even center a whole dungeon around the item. If they just gave Link the ability to punch right off the bat with no item then it would feel wasted because they could have made a whole dungeon around it.

AaronX

One who sits
I think that they could have him punch from the beginning, but it wouldn't be very effective, and then he would get an item [i.e. Iron Knuckle] and he could do some serious damage!1

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Firstly I think it will be depending on how they make Link.

If they focus on making him more of his own character (like TP sort of did) then it could be tricky. Link is always a normal, average guy. He is not meant to be fighter or hero right off starting. He comes from humble places and gets caught up with destiny. Usually, he is more seeming gentle... not necessarily a pacifist, but not a person to just throw punches, either. If they develop him that way then giving him the ability to use melee force when he doesn't have a sword would be out of character for Link. But, if they make him more like TP Link who has a bit of a rougher, tougher side, then I can see him handling himself without a sword just fine. But this is all meaning if they give him character.

If they decide to emphasize that the player is Link, then again that can be tricky. It wouldn't get in the way because there wouldn't be a personality to clash with, but it might take away from classic "Zelda-ness". While Zelda is more action-adventure, there is always moments of stealth in the games. Sneaking past guards most of the time. OoT took it to meeting Zelda, TWW took it a step further with sidling, PH took it another step further with the safe spots and phantoms and puzzles, and then ST took it EVEN FURTHER with keeping two people out of sight of guards while doing puzzles. If they give Link the ability to throw punches (and maybe even kicks) then that tactical stealthiness might be lost.

However, comma, that might not be a bad thing. Sometimes the games need change, and sometimes the changes work out for the better. We used to use simple sword slashes, and now we have a variety of techniques. Maybe physical combat might be the next step. Personally, I'd love to try it out. I've only just started Other M today, and the combat is pretty awesome IMO. If Metroid can take so many major changes (from sidescrolling, to FPS, to 3rd person semi-side-scrolling w/action emphasis) so well, then why can't Zelda?

I get the feeling, though, that for now, they're going to stick to stealth. It's not bad, though. It can be just as interesting as adding physical combat might be. Maybe they will add a new special something to stealth to further improve it. While I will like to see punching and maybe kicking, I will also be very happy to see how much more developed they can make stealth.

AaronX

One who sits

If they focus on making him more of his own character (like TP sort of did) then it could be tricky. Link is always a normal, average guy. He is not meant to be fighter or hero right off starting. He comes from humble places and gets caught up with destiny. Usually, he is more seeming gentle... not necessarily a pacifist, but not a person to just throw punches, either. If they develop him that way then giving him the ability to use melee force when he doesn't have a sword would be out of character for Link. But, if they make him more like TP Link who has a bit of a rougher, tougher side, then I can see him handling himself without a sword just fine. But this is all meaning if they give him character.

If they decide to emphasize that the player is Link, then again that can be tricky. It wouldn't get in the way because there wouldn't be a personality to clash with, but it might take away from classic "Zelda-ness". While Zelda is more action-adventure, there is always moments of stealth in the games. Sneaking past guards most of the time. OoT took it to meeting Zelda, TWW took it a step further with sidling, PH took it another step further with the safe spots and phantoms and puzzles, and then ST took it EVEN FURTHER with keeping two people out of sight of guards while doing puzzles. If they give Link the ability to throw punches (and maybe even kicks) then that tactical stealthiness might be lost.

However, comma, that might not be a bad thing. Sometimes the games need change, and sometimes the changes work out for the better. We used to use simple sword slashes, and now we have a variety of techniques. Maybe physical combat might be the next step. Personally, I'd love to try it out. I've only just started Other M today, and the combat is pretty awesome IMO. If Metroid can take so many major changes (from sidescrolling, to FPS, to 3rd person semi-side-scrolling w/action emphasis) so well, then why can't Zelda?

I get the feeling, though, that for now, they're going to stick to stealth. It's not bad, though. It can be just as interesting as adding physical combat might be. Maybe they will add a new special something to stealth to further improve it. While I will like to see punching and maybe kicking, I will also be very happy to see how much more developed they can make stealth.

It's a bit different, with Metroid, though. Samus is the same person in each game, and she's a Bounty Hunter, so as long as she gets it done, it's fine. But I do think it would be fun.

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
I'll also go along with the stealth idea, but what I consider would be different.

For example:

If Link were to find himself in a situation where he was sneaking from a higher altitude, say rafters or something, he could utilize whatever he finds around him to through it down on an enemy's head. Stunning him for a second or knocking him out allowing Link to pass undetected.

Or like the knight said, whipping them into the darkness for a sort of comedy type thing with a few "beat up" sounds and maybe a few stars, Link will emerge dusting his hands off. Then continue on.

I just don't see him getting into an actually fist fight unless it coincided with the stealth element, maybe if you can actually sneak up behind an enemy and knock them out with something, but i don't see a full on fight.

Plus you have to consider all the other items Link will have too, most of which in previous games, have proved to be very effective against a majority of enemies.

AaronX

One who sits

It's a bit different, with Metroid, though. Samus is the same person in each game, and she's a Bounty Hunter, so as long as she gets it done, it's fine. But I do think it would be fun.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
I personally think that Link fist fighting would be awesome. I'd also like to see some kicking too >:)

However, it is highly unlikely that this will happen. When Miyamoto was being interviewed, he said that in a dungeon(s) you're going to lose your sword for a certain amount of time. This is has been mentioned in this topic and has led us to wonder if Link will be able to fist fight in SS or not.

But here's the thing: Miyamoto said more than just that. He says, "Now, this time we're thinking about creating a dungeon maybe where you don't have a sword and your goal is not to defeat them, but to CIRCUMVENT THEM OR RUN AWAY FROM THEM to clear that particular dungeon, and that's one way the structure is different from other Zelda titles."

So that basically sums it up as - 'Hey, you may lose your sword, but you can sneak your way around your obstacles.'

With this quote in mind, I highly doubt we'll be seeing fist fighting in SS (as much as it saddens me). But that doesn't mean it eliminates all possibilities :)

Ugh. I'm not big on stealth in Zelda. In WW, it at least made sense, because you were an unarmed kid up against moblins. In OoT, on the other hand, you were a fully armed adult sneaking around the Gerudo fortress, and when caught, you just throw your hands up and hold still? Don't even try to run away, let alone fight back? (And don't tell me that he didn't want to hurt the Gerudo, because they can get an arrow through the head and it only stuns them, and the ones he does fight can take several sword hits to their unarmored bodies.) But I found it even more tedious in WW, because you had to be so slow. You're hiding in a barrel and tiptoeing.

So on that level, I'd much prefer Link to be able to fight somehow even without a sword.

On the other hand, I don't think fist fighting really fits well with Zelda overall. I felt the same way about sumo wrestling and goat/Goron catching, and those were more mini-game-style affairs. Maybe if Link has stun weapons like Deku Nuts or the whip that he can use to try to escape, that would be better.

But I wouldn't really know how well anything would work until I played it. So who knows?

S

Souldier

Fighting with the fists could be awesome in the game, however for tha sake of us, the players, I most certainly hope they don't, just imagine how stupid we would look attacking the TV with the Wii controls... Crap that would be funny XD. But you get the idea, still awesome, still wierd.

P.D.: XD lol XD lol XD etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom