• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

...Link Has Fists....

FlatxSharp

Music to last through the ages
Nintendo is saying that there is a chance Link wont have his sword in some dungeons in SS. I've noticed that everyone jumps to the conclusion that this means he will be hiding in barrels and sneaking around as he did in WW. Now, I don't have a problem with this...but let's think about it a little.

Why did it make so much sence for Link to be hiding in WW? I think it was because he was just a kid. And, if I where as young as Link in WW and saw a giant boar with a weapon like that, I would be very afraid, and therefore it was reasonable in that game.

But, in SS, not only is Link older, but he's said to be the oldest Link we've seen yet. If this is the case, I don't see why Link can't defend himself without a weapon, or at least try to. It implies that Link is useless without a blade in his hand.

In TP, we saw a little bit of Link "fighting" without a sword. Sumo wrestling. We got to see Link punch Mayor Bo in his teeth. I think that will lead to having Link defend himself in a dungeon without his sword. He has fists.

Do you think Nintendo will keep Link in the shadows when his sheath is hollow, or will we get to deal some punches in SS?

FlatxSharp

Well....to me it kind of gives the impression that Link is well...weak. *Shudders* I know that it doesn't seem in his "personality" to run up and just start pounding someone's face in, but, if he can hack the head of a Deku Baba, why can't he hit a Keese or two with his hand?

I love the boy to death, maybe I just don't like the idea of having him...hide from danger.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Link does indeed have fists, but the only time he's actually used them is with the Fist Ring in the Oracle games.

I doubt that he'll use his fists as just fists, but there's a chance he get a kind of attack that doesn't require the sword. Maybe he'll be able to pick and use things in the environment to beat enemies. There's an off-chance that he might use karate or sumo wrestling, but that's not much more likely than fist fighting.

Mainly, I think that fist fighting doesn't fit with the spirit of Zelda, and that's probably not the direction they will go in. They've taken his sword away in WW by having it knocked away and having him sneak. They've taken it in TP by turning him into a wolf. I think they're going to come up with something else along those lines.

Link1432

Most Uncreatively Named
Chances are, the swordless parts are going to be stealth parts of the game (other than the beginning, to set up story). Hand-to-hand combat would be a really cool addition, but if they were going to add it, wouldn't they have had that as part of the E3 demo? It seems like the kind of addition to the series that would be showcased.

Unless they're trying to throw us for a loop and slip it under the radar until it's released, but that doesn't seem possible.

FlatxSharp

Well, I didn't exactly mean he was going to fist fight, I mean, he COULD, but I agree that it doesn't fit the vibe of the games. I just think he should have some physical combat available for when he's stripped of his sword.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I don't think we will see him fist fighting in SS, I mean it doesn't seem Zelda-ish at all. One major aspect in Zelda is about the items, so I don't think we'll be seeing this.

Austin

Austin
That'd be cool. If it did happen, I would expect it to be something like the wrestling mini-games in TP. Perhaps he'll hide for the most part but eventually be thrust into a situation where he has no choice but to fight. Considering the heavy use of WiiMotion Plus, there are plenty of things they could do with it. Perhaps they'll make it like the boxing mini-game in WiiSports. For those of you who are saying "it isn't Zelda", I don't think that would be too much of an issue. If it is included it most likely won't be a large feature of the game, and experimental features or mini-games can be fun sometimes.

That would be amazing! But i don't think that'll happen. It might give SS an automatic T rating, but I don't know.
If swinging a sword around doesn't automatically give a game a T rating, I doubt swinging fists would.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
Actually, that's an amazing idea. I mean, Link does indeed have muscles, and I'm sure he could throw a dang decent punch.
I wouldn't completely rule it out as a possibility.
After all, if you had told me there would be Sumo Wrestling in a Zelda game before TP came out I'm sure people would have laughed.
Just sayin', they can be unpredictable sometimes.
But, yeah, I would really enjoy punching out some baddies, maybe in like a MMA fighting style.

This sounds very plausible and I like the idea of it. And how about some 1:1 boxing with WiiMotion Plus? Now THAT is how you innovate a series.

That would actually be pretty cool. I mean he whacked people as a Goron and a Zora in Majora's Mask, why cant he do it as a human? I mean he could at least kick or something, although they should keep a certain aspect of stealth. Perhaps have enemies that you have to sneak by because their armor is to thick for you to hurt them with your bare hands.
But for some reason don't think Nintendo will do it. But one can dream.

Danlo

Daniel
I would be really fun to beat up some monsters, but I'm sure it won't happen. I think If Link will not have his Sword, he would be using other things or it would be just sneaking past by everyone

TheHeroOfLime

Excelling in Mediocrity
While the whole "it isn't Zelda" problem is there, they made Mario punch in Super Mario 64 when all he could do was jump and that worked fine. Maybe he could find an item that would allow him to punch, like maybe an Iron Knuckle???? :lol: But seriously, I'm sure it could work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom