• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Wind Waker Link Growing Up

After watching a couple WW beta videos, I've been thinking about this lately. Do some of you actually wanted to see Link grow up as the game progresses or not? Personally, I'm happy that the concept was dropped (just because Toon Link's fine the way he is and if he grew up, he won't be moe as **** anymore), but at the same time, I wish it hadn't dropped because it would be an interesting game mechanic. I'm fine with it being removed, but hopefully this concept will come back when the technology is there.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Personally, I hope they use this mechanic sometime in the future. As long as the change isn't too drastic. As in the changes are small and you don't completely notice them. So, I, would definitely not want to see a transition from Young Link to Adult Link.

Salem

SICK
There's no confirmation from Nintendo that this concept was even considered at all.

I don't think I'll like it, like at all.

Sheik

:the:
I like this concept.

Seeing Link age progressively would be a great way to show off how he grows stronger throughout the course of game. His in-game growth is already apparent through him gaining new tools and abilities, but I think seeing him actually get older would be another amazing way to show it off.

(And no, not with time travel like in OoT.)

But I agree with Dr. Horrible, Link's aging should not be major, nor should it be a huge part of the game. Just a cool little detail.

People always claimed that WW was some kind of coming of age story, where Link somehow progressively matures from a boy into a man. I never saw it. Maybe it's because I find the plot of WW, and Zelda games in general, rather overrated at times, but I always saw the plot of WW to be just kind of like what every other Zelda game before it did. Youngster who's never held a sword in his life picks one up, saves the princess, and becomes a hero. It's been that way for.... forever. I didn't see much difference at all with WW. The pirate and Great Sea flare it gave to the formula was pretty neat and cool, but it wasn't so much of a deviation that I thought it was breaking totally new ground with the plot.

An age progression might have made it much more apparent, perhaps with an added-in focus of Link and his personality thrown in on top of it. Have his voice get deeper like OoT did, add in some dialog from other characters about how he isn't as doofy and clumsy as he used to be. Things like that would go a pretty long way when it comes to trying to convey Link's gradual growth. But, I also have to point out that it would come off as kind of awkward with the graphics. It's just how I imagine it in my head, but the character designs in WW are really, really cartoony, and their bodies and motions reflect that. Seeing an adult Link, or maybe just something in-between child and adult, might just look REALLY weird. Again, it's just how it looks in my head though.

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
I think being able to see Link grow both mentally and physically throughout the game would be cool. Just as a small detail though.
Or perhaps his hair grows a bit, or goes a slightly different colour coz the season changes or whatever. But not from Pink to Blonde though......... :)

If you've seen the anime film 'Howl's Moving Castle', I think the way the main protagonist Sophie begins to look younger and younger as her curse retreats and the film goes on is great, perhaps something gradual like that would work well for Link, especially if the story lasts a fair amount of time. Without time travel that is.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I think Link growing up would be a great idea story wise. It would be really interesting to see that kind of time progression through a video game. As long as they make sure it works well as a game mechanic and not just become a gimmick I would love to see them tackle something like this.^^

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I wouldn't care for something like that in Wind Waker, but I remember feeling something like that wouldn't be bad as an idea in any future game. It's funny actually, I had a thread idea long ago that I never did on something tangentially related to this. It sort of evolved from how frustrated I was when I was little at how little OoT's world changed for the most part despite the timeskip, so I came up with crazy ideas that could have been used for fun. I also didn't know about tech limitations back then.

Something to indicate how much time the quest happened over would give it a stronger sense of involvement, even if it's all just aesthetic. Imagine seeing Link looking more rugged and wasted as the game progresses. I don't think it could (nor should it even try to) really add that much gameplay-wise.

On an unrelated note though, I'd be more interested in seeing the game's world itself age. Like some time passed between every temple and they changed a little depending on your order, like bridges falling, doors jamming, giant spiderwebs blocking paths. Time passage is full of potential. Or maybe just make things look more worn out. Both would be cool.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Hmm, well it depends on how they would do it. Would he age like drastically, like change noticeably every time you play the game? Or would it be like real life? If it was like real life, I think it could be very interesting, although they also could very easily screw it up

Fig

The Altruist
Personally I'm actually glad that this mechanic was scrapped by the final product of Wind Waker. I really love the way (Toon) Link is on the final product of Wind Waker. And when it comes to "growing up", Link technically does go through the process, albeit it's more of a "coming out of age" process that Link had went through during the very beginning of the game and his actions actually prove that. Take the Forsaken Fortress for example, at first, Link has to depend on stealth in order to reach the very top. After unlocking the courage inside of him (mind you he wasn't born with like his other reincarnations), Link has to travel again to the Forsaken Fortress, only this time, Link is much more prepared and focuses more in confronting his enemies face-to-face. Because of this, I think this really helps build Link's character in Wind Waker and that is probably why I love Link in Wind Waker for going through these obstacles, slowing building the confidence within himself.

Returning to the main focus of this thread, I think I'm glad that Nintendo has removed the "growing up" game mechanic, as it would have felt like another Ocarina of Time and I'm very certain that fans would throw in more hate on the game for recycling a game concept of a previous title within the franchise. That said, I would like to see to see this concept be used in a future Zelda title and see it how it turns out because it truly worked with Ocarina of Time, so I'm very certain that Nintendo might have some considerations when thinking what the next game mechanic should be the main focus of an upcoming Zelda game.

Personally I'm actually glad that this mechanic was scrapped by the final product of Wind Waker. I really love the way (Toon) Link is on the final product of Wind Waker. And when it comes to "growing up", Link technically does go through the process, albeit it's more of a "coming out of age" process that Link had went through during the very beginning of the game and his actions actually prove that. Take the Forsaken Fortress for example, at first, Link has to depend on stealth in order to reach the very top. After unlocking the courage inside of him (mind you he wasn't born with like his other reincarnations), Link has to travel again to the Forsaken Fortress, only this time, Link is much more prepared and focuses more in confronting his enemies face-to-face. Because of this, I think this really helps build Link's character in Wind Waker and that is probably why I love Link in Wind Waker for going through these obstacles, slowing building the confidence within himself.

Returning to the main focus of this thread, I think I'm glad that Nintendo has removed the "growing up" game mechanic, as it would have felt like another Ocarina of Time and I'm very certain that fans would throw in more hate on the game for recycling a game concept of a previous title within the franchise. That said, I would like to see to see this concept be used in a future Zelda title and see it how it turns out because it truly worked with Ocarina of Time, so I'm very certain that Nintendo might have some considerations when thinking what the next game mechanic should be the main focus of an upcoming Zelda game.

This is actually why I like this reincarnation of Link. Unlike the other reincarnations, this Link wasn't the chosen hero along with not being born with courage. This just makes him more unique. Like you, I'm glad Link doesn't grow up at all. WW will just be another OOT clone if they kept the growing up concept. Again, that just makes him stand out to me more because most of the other Link reincarnations are mostly teens (excluding a few like LOZ1, the first half of OOT, & MM). Besides, I like playing as adorable video game kiddies like Toon Link & Kirby! <3

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
It all depends on how it was handled.

I wouldn't want another Ocarina of Time style game, because then it wouldn't be an original idea. Maybe a gradual growup would be OK, but when would the changes become evident? When would he stop growing?

I actually don't see the point in aging Link at all because the entire game can be completed in less than a week in game days if you're good enough. A normal person would not grow in that time. And even if you're not good, you won't be spending more than a month in game to complete it. Changes would not be noticeable.

I'm glad they scrapped the idea. It would have been hard to make it work right.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
They could do a series of games. Like two or three if they felt particularly creative.

Set up: Triforce is not in the sacred realm but separate and scattered across Hyrule, but long time fans would know exactly where they are, in our three favorite recipients.

First game: Link's a kid in a small village, he's made aware that something is rotten in the state of Hyrule, exposes the big bad (probably Ganon or a dragon of his in a final boss fight, but instead of Link beating him he runs off. Game ends, Link's a hero.

Second game: Link is a little older, he starts off say in Castle town training to be a knight because his skills were recognized in the last game, they all think the big bad is gone but then he comes back with reinforcements. Zelda sends him off on a series of quests to get items or sages or whatever is needed to defeat him. He does it, but it's not enough because he doesn't have the master sword. Game ends quite darkly, such as Ganon managing to take over Hyrule. Zelda and Link scatter because there's nothing they can do, Zelda tells Link he needs the master sword to defeat him.

Third game: Takes place a few years after the end of the second game and is on a quest to find the master sword and completes a series of tasks/dungeons to prove he is worthy of the master sword and then the triforce of courage. Zelda could be doing her own thing to obtain the right to wield the triforce of wisdom. Both go back to Hyrule, undo the evil he did to it, and then meet him for a final showdown. Butts are kicked, names taken, Ganon is sealed. Fin.

It doesn't have to be exactly like that, but it would be a way to see the same Link grow up and change through each game. I think the gamer would get a feeling like it takes a lot more to become a hero and could also join in seeing Link grow from a little village kid to a full fledged hero. SS proved they can make Link have a real personality without having to even let him talk, so it would be a lot of fun watching him change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom