• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link Does Not Die in the Third Timeline.

I was reading an article online and read this. I't makes perfect sense and best of all it doesn't label Link as dead and I found it really interesting and completely agreeable with. What do you think?

He doesn't die in the timeline A,he just disappears.Why?Because when Link returns to the child timeline after knowing of his role as the adult link/hero of time,he returns to a certain point with knowledge and items that he did not possess before.So when he gets back to the child Hyrule,it's not the same but a mirrored one,in which his newer actions are taken into account.

So when Nintendo says that Link failed,they did not make canon his death:the hyrule he left and can't return to is the Hyrule of this timeline and Link fails by not existing in said timeline,not by dying.

In essence,the entire timeline only gets somewhat troublesome for some due to the branching that Ocarina of Time operated on the entire mythos;with this official timeline,however,prior variables are now encompassed as follows:

A- Link fails (the Link to the Past era)
B- Link is victorious and sent back,leaving adult Zelda on her own (the wind waker era);
C- The Link that was sent back warns young zelda (in a mirrored hyrule) and travels to termina (the Twilight Era).

Now, I do not consider this theory flawless for one reason:the constant time travel in Ocarina of Time.when young Link comes back from the future,the past changes,correct;however,this means that Link fails in various mirrored Hyrules that he abandons while travelling through time. So ALTTP and subsequent games may occur in another timeline that isn't the original one,but one of the mirrored ones from the various time travels.And they may not even occur in the same timeline between themselves.Therefore,the timeline itself would depend of player experience in an entirely subjective demeanour and canon would be appropriated by the player,thus reducing the canon to a formality.

To put it simple when Link travels back in time for the shadow temple and spirit temple to do the child stuff. He returns and makes the past split again or atleast this is how I understand it. I just hate to think that Link failed and Ganondorf killed him or he got lost in the water temple or committed suicide for not being able to beat the running man even with cheating.

What are your opinions..?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
or committed suicide for not being able to beat the running man even with cheating.
What are your opinions..?
B-but...I would've committed suicide if I were up against a man who somehow could beat my record of 00:00 with a time of NEGATIVE 00:01!

Anywho, seriously speaking...that theory is plausible. What I think happened is that when Link left at one of the points (either for Spirit or Shadow), he leaves his Triforce of Courage behind in that one instance of time to back and do some collecting. Of course, that would lead multiple scenarios open, but the end result is that Ganondorf captures Sheik/Zelda (remember, Ganondorf knew about Sheik all along and was waiting for the oportune moment to capture her – the kissykissy moment in Temple of Time), finds the Trifoce of Courage [they resonate when close by] and the sages somehow seal him, creating ALttP Dark World and so on.

Simply put:
Adult Timeline – Link is sent back in time by Zelda *after* defeating Ganondorf in the final battle, TWW events and so on occur

Child Timeline – After being sent back by Zelda and inadvertantly creating the AT, Child Link warns Child Zelda about what Ganondorf would have done if Zelda did her folly of giving Link the Ocarina of Time, thus Ganondorf is imprisoned and TP events so on occur.

"Failure/Defeat" Timeline – At any point *BEFORE* facing Ganondorf in the final battle but *AFTER* traveling foward in time using the Master Sword, Link has to travel back in time to get something of important notice. Doing so leaves his Triforce of Courage behind [evidence for this is that the ToC is in shards in The Wind Waker], so Ganondorf takes control of the ToC and the ToW since Link is not around ot protect Zelda. Ganondorf becomes Beast Ganon, is somehow sealed into the Dark World during the Seal War or whatever, and ALttP events and so on occur.

There are multiple moments for Failure Timeline to be enacted, but the point is that any time where Link has to travel back in time before defeating Ganondorf is time for the Failure Timeline to exact itself. Same results every time.

well how would he leave it behind i see what your saying but the triforce power was in him it wasnt a physical item he could drop

I just think that Nintendo or even just Anouma should just come out and clearly explain this "Link failed" split.

Link dieing split dosen't make any sence but the link going back farther than he's supost to and warrning zelda before she's taken away make some sence

E

essegura92

there are tree timelines one when link goes to the future and leaves his time unprotected from ganon, other one when he appears 7 years later and defeat ganon and other one when he goes back to a time when the sacred realm wasnt opened

atompike

On my Zeldathon Quest
I give them credit for trying but I still would have preferred them to just say nothing and let us speculate forever.

there are tree timelines one when link goes to the future and leaves his time unprotected from ganon, other one when he appears 7 years later and defeat ganon and other one when he goes back to a time when the sacred realm wasnt opened

No, when link pulls the master sword he goes to sleep and awakes 7 years later. Hes in the same flow of time, ganon is threatening the time he is currently in. The splits happen later in the game when he has to go back to being a child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom