• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Life of an IT Consultant

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
So I've grown up with computers, I know how to build them and take them apart, I know how to fix certain problems. I've kinda worked with programming a few times in many forms, such as scripting, programming itself..using hex editors and looking at data and modifying it, it's all fun--to me that is.

So here's my dilemma, I'm having a hard time choosing between IT consultant and Software Development. Both seem fun, the problems is that IT consulting, while has its adventages such as traveling, helping other companies fix their tech problems and so on, it has the downside of keeping you away from home, when you want to spend time with family. Software Development on the other hand, if done right, you can stay home any time and work on projects and assist others with programming. The con I think is the inability of traveling. I think anyways.

The technology section is seems mostly dead at times, but I'm wondering if there is anyone here is sufficent advice or someone who's made or currently making a career out of a form of technology. What is the best option to go with?

Last edited:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
About the travel aspect, a lot of people seem to think it's a great thing, but you spend most of the time at airports, airport hotels, conference centers and office buildings. I'm not saying there aren't opportunities, like mixing business with pleasure and staying behind for a day or two to see a place, just that most of the time it's going to be waiting at terminals, rushing from one place to another. Most don't seem to realize that when they sign up for a job with a lot of traveling. It's kind of a pro/con in and of itself. For me it was more of a con than a pro (one of several reasons I don't work in IT anymore), but people feel differently about it.

As for the rest, I think you need to figure out what excites you more in terms of what you will actually be doing in the job.

Skittles

Rainbows!
My brother is a Software Development guy, actually, so...I know he loves what he does, but it really depends on what kind and who you end up working for. He went to California for a week last year for his job to learn some new stuff for the company he works for. It doesn't always mean you don't travel, it just depends on who you're working for and what kind of development you're doing...

Heck, you can even do Software Development in the military (I would think) if that's your cup of tea. Then you wouldn't have to complain about traveling at all...just other things...

ILU

i luv u
I have various family members in the tech field. Some travel, some do not. They all seem happy, and they all have families. The only real issues are trying to get certain days off which will depend on your company. For instance, I began working at a nice company last year in a computer-related/management-trainee position. I got to know the IT guys pretty well over the course of a year and they all travel and LOVE it. One guy is 18 or 19, I don't remember, so he doesn't really have to worry about kids or anything. Another guy is like 30 or something and he says it works for him because his wife is a stay-at-home mom so the kids are fine when he's not home. But, my company also gives us all holidays off AND paid. So there's a great benefit there because nobody has to miss the really important dates.

I guess it depends on what your family life ends up like in the future and what your company is like. I'm not near that point in my life so I can't give any personal experience. But, I'd also take the far future into consideration.... when it comes to IT, it's very possible that you'll rarely ever have to travel in the future because of all the software available for online meetings and stuff.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
I actually got some good news today.

I talked to a few people in this chatroom that I helped with a bit on a project, basically he has ties in California that could help me get 80k a year without college. All I need to do is work on a few projects learning python and he'll recommend me. They will then pay me to move there with them, he gets a 10k bonus. Sounds pretty superb!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom