• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Let's talk art

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
ok so I was thinking about the potential artwork in the new game, I know ninty will follow the same art style as BotW with the more orientally inspired artwork, but what would it feel like? will it be darker? more light hearted? will we see new takes on the established monsters? I don't want to be too long winded, so ill go ahead and ask you guys what the art style should be in your opinions?

:bubsy::bubsy::bubsy:

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I wouldn’t complain if they kept with BotW’s themes, considering it has some of the best art in the series. I am curious about where they’ll take designs next. As long as it doesn’t look like that old Wii U tech demo or TP, I’ll probably like it. The kind of cel shading they’ve been doing is really nice.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Nintendo has drawn out the cel-shaded aesthetics and simplistic models long enough. One of the things I dislike about BotW--and Skyward Sword by the same extension, which started the CS craze in console titles--is that they looked too cartoony. A more grounded realistic look is exactly what the series needs to reach out to more mainstream gamers, and considering the reaction to TP's reveal trailer and the Wii U tech demo in the past, most fans probably want the same. It doesn't have to be grimdark or nitty-gritty, but something like FFXV would be just fine in my book.

Oh yeah, and give it an actual story.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I wouldn’t complain if they kept with BotW’s themes, considering it has some of the best art in the series. I am curious about where they’ll take designs next. As long as it doesn’t look like that old Wii U tech demo or TP, I’ll probably like it. The kind of cel shading they’ve been doing is really nice.

As much as i disliked some of the things done in BOTW the Artstyle wasn't one of them, i think they did bloody fantastic on that, made the environment more........There

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I actually like the TP and old wiiu tech demo art style. I thought it was beyond amazing. But I also love BotW's art style. If they continue with that style, I'm more than happy. I also love the Hyrule warriors/legends art style. That would be pretty cool too.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
It is time to return to the darkness. We have had enough cel shading and a dsrker next game would be good also

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
This discussion's been had. I bet anyone familiar with it can't guess what I'm about to say...

Enough! with the cel-shading. It doesn't do it for me. Not that I expect ninty to ever make a zelda game that appeals to me again, but come on. It's been done. It's cheap. It's lazy. It looks poor. But ninty doesn't care because they can still sell enough to make bank regardless of how it looks. BotW's financial success will only reinforce this. ninty isn't going to splurge on sophisticated graphics even if they knew how, and it's apparent that they still don't know how to achieve modern graphical fidelity.

I also think it's too late for the Zelda series to appeal to core gamers. That opportunity passed with Suckward, BotW only convinced core gamers outside nintendo that the Zelda series isn't worth their attention. Even if ninty endeavored to develop a Zelda game that lives up to the modern standards core gamers expect, it wouldn't catch on with them. This is a shame because the Switch was set up to catch mainstream attention and ninty hasn't followed up with that momentum and made good on sophisticated showings that can appeal to modern gamers. Zelda was one opportunity for open world fantasy, Metroid was another for core shooters. Maybe it's not too late for core gamers to find Switch appealing, but I think they know too much about the Zelda series by looking at BotW to consider Nintendo as a suitable alternative to PS4. Zelda still won't be unseating the likes of Elder Scrolls any time soon.

Reactions: Dio

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I love how offended people get by the fact that games can have colors in them. Zelda ain't no Call of Duty and it is better off that way. If appealing to "core gamers" means to only have shades of grey and brown than I am thankful as **** that Zelda isn't appealing to the "core gamer".

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I love this notion that when someone says "I don't like the cheap toon look" some people just assume they want gray. As if barfing rainbows all over the place is inherently gorgeous somehow.

Reactions: Dan

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I love this notion that when someone says "I don't like the cheap toon look" some people just assume they want gray. As if barfing rainbows all over the place is inherently gorgeous somehow.
I'd take that "cheap toon look" that makes it Zelda over realistic graphics that make it any other generic game any day. Realism is becoming overdone in the mainstream video game market, I'm happy Nintendo is doing something different that looks gorgeous (in my eyes anyway) as well.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I love how offended people get by the fact that games can have colors in them. Zelda ain't no Call of Duty and it is better off that way. If appealing to "core gamers" means to only have shades of grey and brown than I am thankful as **** that Zelda isn't appealing to the "core gamer".
But that is a little extreme. We can have some colors, we don't need total darkness. It's a balance

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
what he's saying is that sometimes it's nice to take a break from the hyper realistic graphics of more modern games and just have fun in an optimistic, bright new world

Dan

I've often felt cel-shaded hybrid graphics(if you can call it that) are often a cop-out. You can do far better if you go all in with cel-shaded graphics or not at all. Cel-shading is great if you're trying to capture a certain style, seriously it's got to the point where I can't tell they're 3d models.
Dragon-Ball-Fighter-Z.jpg

Nintendo are trying to appease both audiences and that's why it fails. I don't mind the style of Skyward or Breath of the wild, but I think they would look so much better if they got the Wii U demo treatment.

It would be so great if we got another game with the style of TP/OoT. But with BotW having sold so much, the chances of that happening have shrunk even more. Still, if it came between WW, SS, or BotW style I'd rather have the BotW style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom