• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Let's Talk About Our Favourite Movies

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't doubt that there have most likely been a few threads where we name our favourite movies etc, but why not have one where we pick our top favourite movies and explain a little bit about why we love them so much/what they're about? You never know, you might get inspiration on what to watch next or find out you have something in common with somebody new!

Now, I'm going to do five, but you can do as many or as few as you want. :)

1. Edward Scissorhands. This is possibly my favourite movie of all time. In the extremely unlikely case you haven't seen it, it's about a small town full of strange, shallow people. Nearby, a doctor who could never have a son creates one, however he dies before he can finish, leaving poor Edward with scissors instead of hands. He comes to live in the town and eventually falls in love with one of it's most popular girls, who loves him back, but ultimately they can't be together because he accidentally stabs this asshole with his scissors (he totally deserved it tho). I don't know why I love this so much, to be honest, I just find it both heartwarming and heartbreaking in equal measure. Plus it's Tim Burton so it's quirky.
  2. Forrest Gump. The plot of this is kind of long winded but basically, a simple but kind hearted guy who loves only one girl grows up in Alabama, fights in 'Nam, and eventually finds out he has a son. There are so many happy and sad moments in this one. I love it for that and the fact that it has humour to it throughout- it's a very well rounded film.
  3. Billy Elliot. Idk why all my favourites are names, but anyways. This is a British made film set during the 80s, in coal mining town in the north during the strikes against Thatcher's government. Among the austerity and poverty, a young boy discovers his talent of ballet dancing. Which goes down super well with his very alpha male dad, as one might expect. But eventually everyone comes to accept it when they realise how good he is and gets into the Royal Ballet School. This movie has excellent music from the 70s and 80s all throughout, it has that classic mixture of comedy, happiness and sadness. If you haven't seen this, do. I haven't seen the West End stage show, mind you, but I love the film.
  4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. A man meets a woman. It turns out that woman is his ex, who took a pill and went through a process to erase him from her memory permanently. Rewind some time, and his girlfriend has vanished from his life. He finds out she had this procedure, and he decides to do the same as the heartache is too much. Cue lots of trippy camera work and weirdness as, during the process, we go inside his head, where he realises too late he doesn't want to forget her so he tries to find a way to hide her in his subconcious. He kind of manages to because he remembers the beach where he first met her - and she did the same. They meet. Full circle. Perfect, but weird.
  5. Gone With The Wind. One of the very first full length colour movies. Based on the book, with some minor changes. Everything about this film is lovely to look at, the shots are stunning and the acting is good. Yes, there are some extremely racist undertones, but that's sort of to be expected when it is set in the Antebellum south during the civil war. Anyway, Clark Gable is officially bae and everything about this film is beautiful and tragic, right down to the end:

Scarlett: But if you leave, where do I go? What shall I do?
    Rhett: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

At the moment, definitely Hardcore Henry. It doesn't have a lot of story, but it essentially is a first person shooter (which isn't particularly one of my preferred genres of gaming) in movie format, with all of the extreme hyperviolence that gets started about 5-10 minutes in, and just never really stops for more then 5 minutes of breather room.

And the weird thing is I don't normally care for movies like that, but it is so cathartic to watch.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
1. Fight Club. I love the cinematography, the acting, the plot, and everything about this movie. It's just an amazingly well made film that you can watch over and over and still find something new each time.

2. Brokeback Mountain. I'm not huge on romance movies, but I love this one. It's a beautiful movie and Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger have great chemistry. I cry every single time I watch it.

3. Donnie Darko. I don't normally pay a ton of attention to music in movies, but I can't get enough of the soundtrack for Donnie Darko. It is so perfect. It's also such a quotable movie. It's weird and kinda trippy, and might not make complete sense sometimes, but I just love it.

Those are my top 3 absolute favorites. I have a ton that come close behind though.

- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: Everything about it is just so funny and it pays respect to both the original comic as well as anything decides to reference. On top of that the cast is perfect and again hilarious.

- Pokemon: The Movie: Nostalgia plus pretty good story (and of course laughing at the fails that they made)

- Cabin in the Woods: It's playing with every horror movie trope and it just works. It's well worth watching if you enjoy the idea of horror cause it uses the themes well while not actually being scary.

Sin City: Beautifully tragic tales crafted by Frank Miller and brought to the silver screen by Robert Rodriguez. The Cinematography is perfect, along with the flawed yet honourable and complex protagonists.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly: Cinematography is flawless, no hateable characters, is tied with Cowboy Bebop for the best soundtrack in any piece of non interactive entertainment ever, and is just plain cool, while also having some subtle hints of philosophical themes for those who are really keen.

Those are my two alltime favorites, but I have ton that are pretty close:

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door(slightly prefer the series, but it's still an awesome movie),the LotR trilogy, Django, Django Unchained, The Big Gundown, Death Rides a Horse, Day of Anger, the other Dollar films, Once Upon a Time in the West, Companeros, Keoma, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, Scarface, Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, Lion King, The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan and tons more.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
- Cabin in the Woods: It's playing with every horror movie trope and it just works. It's well worth watching if you enjoy the idea of horror cause it uses the themes well while not actually being scary.

That may be the best way to describe Cabin in the Woods I've ever seen! It definitely is a good movie for someone that enjoys the idea of a horror movie, but doesn't like being scared.

TattooArtist

I'm the B and my boyfriend is the T in LGBT ❤
I don't doubt that there have most likely been a few threads where we name our favourite movies etc, but why not have one where we pick our top favourite movies and explain a little bit about why we love them so much/what they're about? You never know, you might get inspiration on what to watch next or find out you have something in common with somebody new!

Now, I'm going to do five, but you can do as many or as few as you want. :)

1. Edward Scissorhands. This is possibly my favourite movie of all time. In the extremely unlikely case you haven't seen it, it's about a small town full of strange, shallow people. Nearby, a doctor who could never have a son creates one, however he dies before he can finish, leaving poor Edward with scissors instead of hands. He comes to live in the town and eventually falls in love with one of it's most popular girls, who loves him back, but ultimately they can't be together because he accidentally stabs this asshole with his scissors (he totally deserved it tho). I don't know why I love this so much, to be honest, I just find it both heartwarming and heartbreaking in equal measure. Plus it's Tim Burton so it's quirky.
  2. Forrest Gump. The plot of this is kind of long winded but basically, a simple but kind hearted guy who loves only one girl grows up in Alabama, fights in 'Nam, and eventually finds out he has a son. There are so many happy and sad moments in this one. I love it for that and the fact that it has humour to it throughout- it's a very well rounded film.
  3. Billy Elliot. Idk why all my favourites are names, but anyways. This is a British made film set during the 80s, in coal mining town in the north during the strikes against Thatcher's government. Among the austerity and poverty, a young boy discovers his talent of ballet dancing. Which goes down super well with his very alpha male dad, as one might expect. But eventually everyone comes to accept it when they realise how good he is and gets into the Royal Ballet School. This movie has excellent music from the 70s and 80s all throughout, it has that classic mixture of comedy, happiness and sadness. If you haven't seen this, do. I haven't seen the West End stage show, mind you, but I love the film.
  4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. A man meets a woman. It turns out that woman is his ex, who took a pill and went through a process to erase him from her memory permanently. Rewind some time, and his girlfriend has vanished from his life. He finds out she had this procedure, and he decides to do the same as the heartache is too much. Cue lots of trippy camera work and weirdness as, during the process, we go inside his head, where he realises too late he doesn't want to forget her so he tries to find a way to hide her in his subconcious. He kind of manages to because he remembers the beach where he first met her - and she did the same. They meet. Full circle. Perfect, but weird.
  5. Gone With The Wind. One of the very first full length colour movies. Based on the book, with some minor changes. Everything about this film is lovely to look at, the shots are stunning and the acting is good. Yes, there are some extremely racist undertones, but that's sort of to be expected when it is set in the Antebellum south during the civil war. Anyway, Clark Gable is officially bae and everything about this film is beautiful and tragic, right down to the end:

Scarlett: But if you leave, where do I go? What shall I do?
    Rhett: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

I also love Edward scissor hands but my favourite has to be Gone Girl, I love it. The plot is amazing and just omfg

Ooh yes, Gone Girl is a really good film, but I'm afraid it's not going to override the nostalgia that Edward Scissorhands holds for me !

I don't know whether I would consider Edward Scissorhands in my favourite movies but it is definitely a classic. as for Gone Girl it was good with a good plot but that's all. it would definitely not be in my favourite movies list.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Mine have to be LOTR I saw those movies the year they came out on my birthday and then continued that tradition with the hobbit

Reactions: Dio

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Mine have to be LOTR I saw those movies the year they came out on my birthday and then continued that tradition with the hobbit
You are my heroine now! Seriously, I love the movies very much (read the books first and love the movies as much as the books). I haven't re-watched them for a while now but they're still the number one on my list. Other movies I still love a lot are Big Fish, Last samurai and of course Pan's Labyrinth.

Misty

Ronin
I have a lot of favourites...that's the only problem with watching a lot of movies, the list keeps bumping up slowly but shirley.

Thank You For Smoking: I know it seems ludicrous, but whenever I'm in a really really awful mood, this film stabilizes me. I mean, it's a really excellent film, but something about it has a lot of heart that I always feel refreshed by.

The Dark Knight: I mean, the film itself is really well done, but I just have a lot of not really fond, but better memories of struggling with math or writing papers while this was on in the background.

Fight Club: I love the novel, the movie is a pretty faithful retelling. Brad Pitt and Edward Norton kill their roles and none of the punches got pulled.

Meet Joe Black: I essentially scorn the Rom Com genre, so this is basically one of two films with a strong romantic plot-line that appears on my list. I watch it when I'm in a good or bad mood and every time I feel just a bit happier with the world.

A Fish Called Wanda: Basically, take a copy paste of what I said for Meet Joe Black and add in brilliant comedy.

The Godfather 2: I mean, I love one as well, but something about two is more my speed.

Heat: Robert Deniro, Al Pacino, Val Kilmer, A sound track I'm pretty sure those little cherubs play for God in Heaven, and a director who only has aces...yeah, it's a great film. It's probably the second best film on this list and none of them are slackers.

My Neighbor Totoro: This is just really my childhood. I loved singing the opening song, and I lived at a place with a huge brambly backyard where I often believed it possible I'd run into the big guy himself.

The Lion King: I was obnoxiously in love with this film for many many many of my young years. I had all the toys, a bed spread, a t-shirt, everything. I still nostalgiagasm for it.

The Breakfast Club: Although I sense the love I feel for this film will be fleeting, it brings back some really fond memories of an ex boyfriend and a feeling that someone finally got at least an aspect of my taste.

Brazil: I love all of Gilliam's work, but nothing really drags me from depression like watching Brazil. It's a brilliant work, everyone should see it.

I'll probably add as I remember.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Lord of The Rings- These films are probably my favorites of all time. It just does everything right for me, great story, the high fantasy setting, a soundtrack which is absolutely incredible. Some of the pieces are my favorite to play on the piano also. Seeing these films got me into painting the little figures and I have had hours of joy doing that. The extended editions of these films are the best and for me, the only way to watch them.

I must say I was disappointed in the Hobbit trilogy and did not find them nearly as good. The thing is I want to be able to like them, but they just don't do it for me. The music is mostly forgettable and they drag out a story over three films that could have been done in two. Plus the CGI is intrusive and I can't stand the way Azog looks. They should have gotten a human in prosthetics and makeup to perform the role not give us that computer generated monstrosity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom