• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-3DS Let talk about the changes in Majora's Mask 3DS[Spoilers obliviously]

**PLEASE do not spoil how to beat the tweaked bosses and new location of certain items**
This post was made before the release of the game
[I wanted to share the post I did on /r/Zelda, I figure it would be a good place to talk about the subject and share my opinion as well. Here the original link if you are interested to see it on reddit http://redd.it/2vbc0p]

Ok I hear a lot of complains about the changes in Majora's mask 3D. Some reactions are understandable, others are controversial and some are just plain and dumb.

My goals here are.

Suggest some solutions for some of them to make your experience feel more like the original.

2.Talk about some of them I think was poorly executed

3.Talk about the tweaked bosses as they are controversial and I want to try help people to see it in a more positive manner.

4.To make you guys realize that in the end Majora's Mask is still the game we love and those changes, objectively speaking, does not make it a a less good game and not worth buying.

So let get started!

• About the Owl and feather statues.

Now they save your game in permanence as even if the moon crash, you can reload at that point.

My fix for this ? Simple !

1.Use the Owl statues only if you want to quit the game, like in the original. And if you don't like the feather one ... don't use them.
2. If you mess up, didn't finish a temple in time or failed a side quest. Don't reload to your ''save and quit point''. Either do other side quest as you would do in the original or play the song of time and use the owl save point near the clock tower to save. It might sound annoying but it takes like 10 second more of you're time to make the save feature like you the original.

• About the song of double time
... this one I personally don't get the complains... when you wanna focus on one quest but you have to wait hours, *in the game*, sometime failing and waiting again just to try it again is a bother. Now we can select to jump to forward to the desire hour in that day, and even skipping to the other days faster. It eliminate a lot of sitting there and wanting.

But here is my fix: play it before 6 pm ? set it to 6 pm ! play it after 6 pm ? set it to the next day.

• The bomber notebook.
I don't think it was a bad changes, sure it make things less cryptic but it doesn't tell you where to go with a marker like in skyrim and such. It help you to realize that what you just heard from an NPC is an important detail and noting it down for you. Sometime pointing out the area that you should look for something. It not telling you where and exactly how to get it unless an NPC said it beforehand.

My fix: Just ignore the notes and use the notebook to look at the time stamp only and remember which npc is important to pay attention.
Also .... ¬.¬ most of us remember a lot of it anyway.

• It too bright !
I don't know why people think that every game need to have low brightness to be ''dark''... in not a fricking horror game. What is happening around you and why it happening and it soundtrack that goes with that really help to set the mood ! I personally think of majora's maks as more of a strange and creepy game than ''dark'' anyway.

Anyway the fix: lower you're brightness on your 3ds.

The solution part is done ! now let move on what I call controversial.

• The bosses and the eyes.
Look the haters .... I get you're point of view ! And I understand it well. The eyes are too overuse at nintendo.

But I want to share my point of view about it and why I think we should give it a chance.

First of all they are like the eyes of majora if you didn't notice. I think it adds a layers of creepiness, but no only that, it add a new meaning to the masked creatures. The eye means that it is majora that controlling them, kinda like you do with you're transformation mask. Meaning that majora is not only chaotic and mischievous, he is also observant, ready to strike down anyone trying to stop him.

As for the gameplay part of the eyes, I don't know all the detail but I know that most of them(and i don't want to be spoil) you need to stun the bosses not by attacking the eye, but by attacking them first and then reveal it well except one apparently. I think for us veteran, we should consider it good change as the battles will be something new for us to experience. And might even make them harder.

The n64 version of them are fun ! but let face it, they are not hard, except twinmold all of their body is vulnerable to every attack and you can melt them pretty quick if you you know what you are doing.

So I would get it why some of you will end up preferring the n64 version of them but let give them a chance. And as a skill zelda veteran, let face it, whatever it is the original, 3ds or some recent zelda games, we all blast trough them now, don't let you're nostalgia of when you were a kid and less good at games cloud your judgment.

The ones I don't like personally.

• The swimming with Zora link.
You need to hold R to swim like before and use magic as the magic shield is active and when it depleted, you have to tap to get a short dash.

-CHATEAU ROMANI !! I hear you say ... agreed but not only you are force to get it now... but the worst thing about it we will force to heard that ''zora beam'' all the time ! It will get annoying. Why not just having to double tap swim to activate the fast one ...without use of magic. I just think it is bad design choice.

• Ice arrow
Now it only work and pre determined spot to create ice platforms.

It was fun to mess with and make some platforms. I don't remember much of the Great bay temple, *if I ask IGN they will probably say -too much water*
Jokes aside am kinda mix on this one .. I don't remember to have a puzzle base on ice platform. And one of my friend pointed out that he thinks that new players that doesn't know about it, won't necessarily guess that they are meant for the sparky spots. He also said it was to make it less of a mess to to use and make thing less glitchy about it.

• Deku link water jumping

The dash boost momentum.

This one is more of nitpick. The spin dash give you less great boost from a neutral position. To maximize you're speed with the spin dash you need to run a little.

But I will place this one on hold as maybe it game explain might have omitted or badly analyze it.

And it true that some of it unique little thing like that was helping making more enjoyable and we were looking for to do in this version and those little thing are a part of what we remember and like about the game, but let try to be objective here. Those changes won't make Majora's Mask a less good of a game. I agreed at first it can be disappointing or frustrating but in the end it still Majora's mask. You got your creepy moon, the masks, the awesome dungeons the iconic music and side quest, the 3 day cycle, the four regions ... that what really makes Majora's mask what it is. And a lot of us begged to make this remake happen and your plead as been heard. So unless you are a very hardcore purist ... give it a chance don't trash it am sure you will end up loving it. Also it will send nintendo the message that in 2015 we do crave for a unique experience like MM.*

So wow that was A LOT of stuff to read and I left some out as I felt like I don't need to talk about them. If you have stick to the end, thank you very much for ready and please remember to be respectful and not spoils anything that I mention in the beginning of the post.

Last edited:
Actually the Zora Link swimming is the only thing I have a problem with. It's just something that will take some time getting used to, which I'm okay with. There's a lot of changes that I really love though.

the saving doesn't bother me, and I think it's a little relieving to be able to save when I want. As much as I loved the original, I hated the save system.

The ice arrow change is weird, but they weren't used for much outside of the Great Bay Temple, so it's not a big deal.

the addition of the eyes on the bosses are great. For one, the bosses are now consistent with Majora's Mask in aesthetics. The addition of the eyes makes the boss fights a little longer as well, because you have to change your strategy a bit. I love it.

I've also noticed how the arrows can be assigned to separate buttons along side the bow. So you can have regular and magic arrows on different buttons without them replacing one another. That's so cool.

The visuals are so nice too. It honestly feels like what I thought the original looked like as a 9 year old kid.

All in all, I think this is a better remake than Ocarina of Time 3D, simply for a lot of the things that were fixed. I can hardly put it down.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Loathing what they did with a certain mask it is beyond cruel and sneaky to do that. and hell why would he have even gone there in the first place. Yeash. Only really issue is with zora swimming seems slower but meh i will live. Love the new changes to the bosses. I am only up to Great Bay so far but the first two really but the finish on them from years ago. It also appears Goht got some new moves and a bomb butt. You'll know when ya see it.

I now this is a totally different game and I'm expecting tweaks and changed than the original, why else would they remake it and stick a 40$ price tag on it. I'm excited to see the changes :)

I've started playing this morning and the first thing I noticed was obviously the awesome details! Loving the design Re-detailing that is reminiscent of the N64 pixel res but with obvious rebuff. The first thing that threw me off in a disappointed way was the lack of rainbow colors in the Observatory, it was one of my favorite places because of the color and the new lack of is a little downer; but the rotating stars around the telescope room was pretty sweet. I know, super "who-cares" moment, but it's my 2 cents. Also, the bank rep being behind the clock and not in the West part of town was a little a of throw off. And thank you, oh gods, for the new save tech!

Obvious i didn't even get past the 3 days yet, haha, I'm a slow gamer, but observant.

HeroofScotland

The Anti-Social Kid
Originally I thought I was going to hate almost every change in the game, but after an hour or so I didn't really mind any of them. It's still the Majora's Mask I grew up with, now with enhanced graphics and better Zora controls.
The only thing I'd say is a problem is the Bomber's Notebook. Not because it gives you hints, but because it's simply too intrusive. They should have an option to turn the notifications off.

Lusoric

What have I done?
The Zora movements are probably the biggest and only change that gets to me. The changes like the bank location was actually fairly helpful, and i like how detailed the notebook is, it kind of gives more hints on what to do and where to go and gives me a better sense of accomplishment when i get a stamp on the missions.

But the Zora controls... Will I get used to them? Yes I will and I will enjoy it. Will it prefer it to the original controls? Probably not. My only sorrow with it tbh is that now i feel i have to put more effort into jumping out of the water like an adorable dolphin and can't just BE the dolphin.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I now this is a totally different game and I'm expecting tweaks and changed than the original, why else would they remake it and stick a 40$ price tag on it. I'm excited to see the changes :)

I've started playing this morning and the first thing I noticed was obviously the awesome details! Loving the design Re-detailing that is reminiscent of the N64 pixel res but with obvious rebuff. The first thing that threw me off in a disappointed way was the lack of rainbow colors in the Observatory, it was one of my favorite places because of the color and the new lack of is a little downer; but the rotating stars around the telescope room was pretty sweet. I know, super "who-cares" moment, but it's my 2 cents. Also, the bank rep being behind the clock and not in the West part of town was a little a of throw off. And thank you, oh gods, for the new save tech!

Obvious i didn't even get past the 3 days yet, haha, I'm a slow gamer, but observant.

YES! I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED BY THE OBSERVATORY! NO RAINBOW STAIRS???? SSRRYSLY???

Yeah am happy a lot of people are taking the changes in a positives way.

This games has receive sooo many big and small tweaks. Even link feels a bit different. I didn't leave Clock town to go to the swap for the first time before 6hours+ of gameplay. I was that hook ![Also am side quest addict] The game feels so right ! My real and only minor complain are some fps drops at some occasion.

Also I love the bomber notebook ! I think other games should take example from it ! But I agreed it too intrusive, I don't mind it but I can understand we some people do. But I think it can be easily fix in future games with a message display and saying the book as been updated.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I enjoy the game i've finished it now which makes me sad, i like the new zora controls but not as much as the old ones. They've done some major revamping of the boss battles and i love em. But i also dislike the moving of at least one heart piece and swapping it with something else. Tis a good game. I will say be prepared to suffer horribly to Gyorg and Twinmold. They both had the biggest revamps in the game

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom